Quick Post

Need help getting some junk on the trunk of my Willy.

Need help getting some junk on the trunk of my Willy.
  • I bought a very very poor 18'ish year old gelding about 2 years ago. Willy has put some weight on but not enough to calm my heart strings. For the past year I've been feeding him 1 lb. of 15% protein 4% fat grain feed in the morning and 1lb rice bran, 1 lb. calf mana and 1/2 lb. of feed in the evenings. Plus green grass and or hay. I've just got some beet pulp to work in while winging him off the calf mana. I've been reading online trying to get my game plan with no straight success on how much or little of what and the do's and don'ts on the beet pulp. Any suggestions, input and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
  • Best wishes for Willy. I had my own struggles with a horse who ended up filling out when he had 24/7 pasture and hay only supplemented in the winter. That was it. No grain... nada. He looked better than he ever did at my house!

• How are his teeth?  They get more nutrition out of their feed when they can chew properly.  Up the amount of supplements , hay he's getting until you reach the point where he is full :)  Has he been wormed, cleared of sand?  My vet said giving them Sand Clear makes a big difference in nutrient absorption.  

• Hi, I am new to this forum.  I wish I can offer solid advise to Misty, but unfortunately, I have the same problem. But, I have had my horse since the day he was born and he is 25 now and over the past few months he has been losing weight.   I wormed him last week. I am a boarder, so I have to rely on the stable manager (SM) to give him what he needs.  I had her add a fatty oil supplement to his feed.  My dilemma is this:  since she took over with picking up the feed and hay, there has been at least 3 or 4 times when there wasn't any hay.  I go out there almost everyday and the last time I was there  during feeding  the SM's mom was doing the feeding because the SM was stuck in traffic.  She left and no hay was given, I checked the hay storage and there was no hay to give.  I was there today after Christmas dinner at my mom's and again no hay.  So, the horses have gone at least  6 feedings (including tomorrow morning) without hay, 2 scoops of senior feed only for my horse.  I am considering getting my own hay.  I would have to keep it in my mom's garage since she lives 1/2 mi from the barn and I go past there every time  I go there.  But, this would only be part of his evening feeding because I can't get there in the early morning.  Also, he is not the only horse in the barn that needs to gain weight.   I just noticed that this conversation started last Aug.  If Misty is seeing this, how is Willy doing now.  I would love to hear back and would really appreciate any suggestions and advise.

• Wow. That's crummy. Horses do best with continual roughage in their gut. Their stomachs are like envelopes. When empty they lay flat. The digestive juices start working on the stomach lining and ulcers can occur.

I think it's hard enough for Senior horses. Glad he's getting Sr.Feed. I'd be buying extra hay, too. I wonder if the SM is receiving money for hay and spending it on something else? Have you confronting the SM?  You pay - you have a legitimate concern. So sorry.