Quick Post

feeding alfalfa

feeding alfalfa
  • Hey everyone I was wondering if you could help me out with something I have 3 horses at the ranch right now that im feeding alfalfa but they also have some pasture they all look healthy and great but im wondering if their diet could be lacking anything I should worry about? they have a mineral block and are also ridden 4-5 times a week anywhere from a half hour to 4 hours sometimes more especially now. I was feeding grass hay but had to switch because its $10 more for grass hay because of the drought and I have to feed twice or sometimes 3 times as much of it to keep them from getting ribby. Thanks for any helpful answers!
  • Where my horses are boarded in Kentucky, they only feed hay and that's just in the winter. In summer their boarders are on pasture only. My horses do so well there it amazes me. If your horses look to be in good condition, and your vet is satisfied, I think it's fine. Mineral blocks, from what I've heard, are mostly salt. I've seen the free choice minerals used in the blue tub from TSC. I think they really eat that stuff until their system gets balanced out then they slow down. Good to see ya. Are you in TX? There's a drought there.

• no Im in California they are putting water restrictions up here everywhere.

• What part of CA? I'm in Atlanta. Dana lives in Riverside!

• Lol I don't know where that is but im in the lake-mendocino county region. We don't have any water restrictions as of now but we get most of our hay and stuff from other counties and the restrictions are really affecting the prices.

• My horses always are fed alfalfa with pasture access and  trace mineral salt free choice.  I live in northern California-Sierra Nevada foothills.  My broodmares also get free choice orchard grass when in foal/nursing.  

• i don't know what to do! you should probably ask someone on the ranch.