Quick Post

I need help with a colicing horse

I need help with a colicing horse
  • I bought a horse back in mid March and he was fine till about early June then he started colicing on me. This is my first horse but I knew about bloat in cattle and heard about colic. When he coliced the first time I freaked and took him to the vet and it was just gas colic.

Ever since then he has had mild colics at least once a month. I give him some banamin paste and load him in the trailer and drive along bumpy roads and normally it goes away. I picked his hay off the ground, fed him more hay, added wheat germ oil to his feed. I need help I know there is no set reason why horses colic but I would like to know some things I may try to stop this.

Any Ideas?????

P.S. He is a windsucker and only does that after he has eaten or if he is tied to the fence.
  •   I'd start with a Power pack dewormer.  You can save some $$ by buying the large cattle tubes of Safeguard but you do need the dosing gun.  Check the teeth than eliminate all grains.  If he can't maintain his weight without concentrates, try alfalfa or BP pellets with 1 C oil per meal (2 C/day) with a ration balancer for the vit/mins.
  • Sounds like repeated gas colic to me.  2many gave you some good suggestions, you can also talk with you vet for some ideas.  Have you tried a collar to help the wind sucking?
  • I'm wondering about an ulcer? 
  • what is the horse's deworming history?
    WHat is the horse feed now? What brand of feed and how much??
    How much hay/pasture does the horse get???

• since I have had him I have been on a regular deworming program I worm eveyother month and switch out wormers. I feed him Safechoice and a scoop morning and night. I think a scoop is 3 lbs. so 6 lbs. a day could be wrong on the weight of the feed. I give him about a block to half block morning and night. I turn him out on pature some but not a whole lot since we have been in drought there has not been any grass.
  • what de-wormers are you using???

does this horse need weight?? Get rid of the safe choice it really is NOT a safe feed it is NOT a fixed formula .. so the colic could be when they are using different stuff...

If the horse does NOT need weight go with a ration balancer and if he NEEDS weight go with a GOOD grain free or at least corn free senior feed
  • One thought I had was, if he's having gas colic, maybe he gulps his food or maybe he needs to be fed smaller, more frequent meals.  We had a gelding who would just be ravenous for his feed, especially in the morning, bolt it down and then colic but if we spread out his meals out and made sure he always had a little grass hay to nibble on, then he was fine.
  • No he does not need weight at all and I talked with 3 vets and they all told me that Safechoice is a really good feed and not to change.
  • I have started to and hay in his feed bucket to make him eat slower and I had a salt and mineral block in there to make him eat slower as well but those are gone. It is hard for me cause I'm not at home during the day to feed him more often.
  • Sadly most vets know very little about equine nutrition so take what they say concerning diet with a grain of salt and do you own research!!

Safe choice is NOT a good choice for a horse with gas colic problems at all , it contains corn and corn ferments in the hindgut causing gas!! so it really is not a safe choice at all

• Wow! That is interesting to know I will start researching about different feeds for him. Any suggestions on a good feed?
  • All of mine are on a ration balancer and I add calories by alfalfa pellets or rice bran depending on my mood

if you give me your zip code I can better help you because I can find dealers in your area ...

• I live in the Austin area my zip code is 78653. I apperciate your help.
  • Kent feeds I would use either a Dynasty lline whice is gonna be about the same as Safe Choice only better quality or the Horsego32 if he maintains well on free choice hay and just needs a vitamin/mineral supplement
    http://www.kentfeeds.com/Results.aspx

Purina products .... I don't like Purina but it is closer then the Kent and not eveybody hates the company like I do
    Enrich32 or Ultium
    http://horse.purinamills.com/dealerlocator/results.asp?searchtype=zr

Triple Crown
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/distributors-tx.php  dealer is at Manor Downs..
    Tc30% or Triple Crown complete or senior or low starch

with the Horsego, Enrich or the TC30% you can always add calories safely with beet pulp, alfalfa pellets/cubes, rice bran or oats. I personally would not use oats for a horse that colics easily