Quick Post

my horse styill has ticks can ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!?

my horse styill has ticks can ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!?
  • I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW TO TRY AND GET RID OF THE TICKS BUT IT SEEMS TO BE AN ENDLESS BATTLE MY 3 Y/O MUSTAGE HATES ME BE I HAVE TO GRAB HER EAR TO GET THEM OUT BUT ITS ONLY FOR HER HAELTH ILOVE HER AND I DONT WANT HER GETTING SICK BECAUSE OF THEM. I HAVE SOME PICTURSE THAT I TOOK TODAY OF THE TICK THAT I GOT OUT OF HER EARS TODAY .I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO KEEP THEM OUT OF HER EARS PLEASE ANY BODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. ASAP. THEY ARE A LIL DARK BUT THERE THE BEST I HAVE FOR THE MOMENT.
  •   Start with a well fitting flymask with ears.  If you have a bushy/boggy area, that's most likely where the ticks are coming from.  Fence it off.
  • i do have my pasture fenced off. but im not sure if a fly mask would help she is very good at getting out of her halters. but i am treating her ears with fly spary and calm coat but i need something better .
  • Great idea!  The bunny ear fly mask... if you can keep it on her.  Maybe Skin-so-soft?
  • We used to have problems with ticks on our dogs, never the horses though.  There were collars called Preventic that worked great.  Don't know if they have anything like that for horses.
  • Have you tried the SWAT in the ears?

I don't think a fly mask with ears would help. The reason I say this is because when I am out I typically wear clothes and undies. The ticks love to place themselves right where the undie elastics band is. Clothing articles do not stop them and seem to encourage them.
  • i havent tryed swat but i can . and i was planing on getting her a fly mask .but like i said shes very good at getting out of her halter so im not sure how well it will work but i can always try . and they seem only to love my yearling but not my older horse she never has a problem with them . ive also herd that skin so soft works great on horses but im not sure if it would work be i already use a fly spray thats equal parts of baby oil ,listeren and alcholo. it seem to be helping a lil but not for the ticks it seems to be attract ing them to her . i even put calm coat on her and nothing seems to be working . but i thank every one for there suggestions and i would like more to come in also. so if you know anybody else that has that same problem then write me and ill answer. thanks again to all the grat tips.  
  • Try olive oil.  A little expensive I know, but it works brilliantly! You just put a few drops onto some cotton wool, and then wipe out the interior of the ears.  It's great for cleaning and it suffocates any ticks that are left down there.  Don't worry about that, once the ticks die, your mare will probably just shake them out. I've used olive oil in this method for nearly fifteen years and I swear by it!
  • Well if you have tried every thing try calling your vet and see what he or she suggest he or she might have a better idea or if it comes down to it you might want to take your horse to the vet and have him or she take the ticks out your horse might have to be sedated.....Thats what i would have done the very first thing....Hope that helps good luck.....
  • thanks for all of the help i didnt even think about olive oil im going to try that the next time i go to take care of her and if i had the money i would of taken her to the vet but at this time i dont have the money to but i do appreciate everyons help i really do .
  • What about the Frontline spray.  Works good....but you have to spray it everyday.   And if you look up essential oils i know there are a few that repel ticks.. i believe rose geranium...or swat too..anything oil ticks hate
  • I am in the pine barrens in Long Island and you can't turn around without getting a tick on you. (Can we say Lyme disease!)

I bought Dog flea and tick repellent, I can't remember it's name, it's in a green topped spray can, but I won't be able to get the name for you until I go to the stable Saturday.

I can't spray it directly on Sky because he is deathly afraid of the spray can, but even spraying it on a towel and wiping it on I didn't have a single tick and that was just using it once a week. I could tell when I missed a spot because I would have a tick there after the trail, but I will get the brand name for you. The stuff works great