Quick Post

White line disease? Pictures included

White line disease? Pictures included
  • Okay so I posted a previous thread about my horses abcess that blew about 2-3 weeks ago. The abscess took about a month to blow out, He was extremely lame for about a week and then was slowly but surely getting better. He is no longer lame a month and a half later. I had the vet come out and take a look at his hoove at around 4 weeks of having the abscess because It would not come out. The vet did a hoof test and said he tested positive in the toe, right by where he had a crack in his hoove. The heat and swelling was gone and He also mentioned how he was barely lame. That night, I got him in and found a hole right where the vet said it might be. I cleaned out the hole, and packed it with itchamol and wrapped with vetwrap and ducktape. I redid his boot everyday making sure to keep it as clean as possible. My farrier came out a week after it came out and said everything looked good.  Here is a picture of the hole where the abscess blew.

http://s1276.beta.photobucket.com/user/horsemommy1/media/foot1_zps4abf9e8d.jpg.html

Now tonight I was cleaning his hooves out and I decided for some reason to get a better look at the crack in his hoof. Now I thought this crack was because of the abscess so after it burst I never really got a good look at it, I focused mainly on the hole and keeping it clean. Well I got on my hands and knees and I was horrified by what I saw. Here is a picture, taken today. (It has a orange red color to it because I put some idoine solution on it)

http://s1276.beta.photobucket.com/user/horsemommy1/media/055_zps1ef7ac74.jpg.html

I was always aware of the crack, but I never noticed this because by picking out his feet, and looking at his feet straight on you could not see all that. All it looked like was a normal crack. The only way I was even able to take a picture where you could see it clearly was by putting my camera almost on the floor. Well I scraped the open part and got all the dirt out of it. The area looked mostly white once I did that. Then I took cotton soaked in idoine solution and stuck it on it and in the hole where the abscess blew. I wrapped with vet wrap and duck tape.(The picture I took was before I scraped, packed and wrapped it)

I called my farrier and left him a message, it is late anyway so I'm not expecting for him to come until tomorrow morning but my question is - is this white line disease or could it just be part of the area where some of the abscess blew? I've heard of abscesses blowing out of the hoof wall but I've never seen them look like this.I got him months ago and his hooves were neglected badly. They were way overdo for trimming, and whoever did trim them had no idea what they were doing. We were and still are also fighting with thrush in all four hooves and finally after months of treating it, I'm starting to get rid of it. Then this very stubborn abscess, and now maybe white line disease. I am just so overwhelmed and so worried about him. In all the horses I've owned, I've always been very picky about their hooves and care of their hooves and  I've never dealt with white line disease. So I'm not sure what to look for, early signs of it, or treatment of it. I've looked online but I have not found anything that it explains it well enough or even find something for me to compare his too. Please I need opinions and advice. The farrier will be coming tomorrow and if needed I will call the vet out again. But I really not sure If I can sleep tonight unless I have a good idea at what to expect tomorrow, and some information and opinions. I'm such a worry wart when it comes to my horses. Thank you!
  • Our paint gelding gets something the farrier calls "seedy toe" which is like the prelude to white line disease.  He just keeps an eye on it but isn't very worried about it.

I'll be curious to hear what the farrier has to say.

You gelding is very pretty, BTW!
  • Sorry you're dealing with this. The good news is, he's getting BETTER. Focus on that and don't panic. It'll give you gray hair. Abcesses are nasty things. This may be part of that. I can tell you take care of his feet! [':)']  I forgot to mention Indian Clay to draw out abcesses. Too late.
  • [quote=danastark]

Our paint gelding gets something the farrier calls "seedy toe" which is like the prelude to white line disease.  He just keeps an eye on it but isn't very worried about it.

I'll be curious to hear what the farrier has to say.

You gelding is very pretty, BTW!

Thank you! And my farrier could not make it out on Friday but came first thing this morning. He said it was not white line, but the crack was causing slight separation. He said it probably is linked too the abscess. Well he cleaned it all up, shaved the crack and opened the hole fr the abscess and rounded them off so no more dirt can really get into the hol and it's easier for me to pick out. 

So all is good, just me worrying like usual!
  • That's a relief, I'm sure. Can't wait to hear about your adventures riding!!
  • Sorry I missed this, with all your worry! Yes, abscesses do blow and they can blow away a whole hoof if they're big enough. I hope that all is well and healing by now. I can tell you where this abscess originated from and why it happened, though, just for looking back's sake. The problem originated towards the back of the foot and migrated forward to find a way out at the toe. Probably, the time of so much pain was when it was doing this. The heels seem to be long, flared and out of balance, What is high is the bars. The bars should merge up from the sole 1/2 way back on the frog and literally ramp up in a straight line to meet the heel platforms dead on even. http://www.flickr.com/photos/92429952@N03/8472463382/ 

Sorry, I can't seem to get the pic here. I'm having major problems with Photobucket and am trying to master Flickr at present. The horse is born to move forward, so everything grows, migrates or get shoved forward, for the most part.

The abscess started on the left side of the frog, right where the support of the bar ramp ended and the pressure was then allowed to punch into the hoof after the end of the ramp. See the pink blob with two more tracts coming out to the side? That's it. The migration of exudent went down the groove, to come out the toe, following the path of least resistance....with the growth.

I have tried to outline the contours of the bars in the foot, (pink lines) so you can see just how high up from the groove these retaining walls of bar are. When the bar is lower and merging out of the sole at this point to start the ramp to the heels, you avoid this punch.

See the whole hoof, the wall coming out of the sole straight up from it on the left side. Then look inside that to see the same steep bar wall coming out of the groove on the same side. Now look over at the other wall. It is not coming straight up, but up and outward (flaring, so is the heel).

Now look at the groove and bar wall on that side. Slanted and high. The inside of the hoof is higher than the outside (medial/lateral imbalance) that straight up wall and straight up bar ramp are being pounded straight down into the hoof. The bar ramp has fractured and disengaged from the heel from impact and that's ON the ramp, so you can imagine the punch when the impact reached the end of the ramp....voila, abscess.

I drew a line from the punch to the toe to show you exudent's escape route. Also in evidence that the left side is higher, is the toe quarter (arrow) and the distance it has bumped out and one bar ramp being longer than the other.

The green circle is the size and shape the hoof should be in the end, the thick black arrow showing how much the toe still needs to come back. I've also drawn in the shape and height of the bar ramps as they should be with arrows showing the different heights between the existing. That's all the bar that should be showing. All the pink lines are bar and showing how squiggly/lumpy they can get when excessive and under pressure.

No.2 is the highest elevation of a big mound of bar that is keeping the high side high. Bars will cause this punch, bridge under the frog, splat out over the sole like a blanket and can literally push the sole out of its way. What you see in the toe shot is false sole, not to worry. These hooves are bit long. The heels are long, the bars are long and wall height is long as well as a medial/lateral imbalance. The higher bar on the higher impact side is what caused this abscess.

Neither is this a barefoot trim, there is no bevel and all torque that could be on this hoof is on it. It is a pasture trim. That means sliding back to square one again every time he's trimmed, instead of moving forward between trims. Since you have had some farrier trouble and this one seems to at least be there for you when you need him, give him a chance, but don't let him forget the bars. He should have known this explanation, not me.

If you ever get a whiff of a barefoot trimmer in your area, grab him...he will know these things. You don't know how many times I see the bars forgotten. Maybe its because he's shoe oriented which raises the hoof off the ground and allows space for the bars to be high/long, so in his eyes, they can be forgotten. This can still happen with a shoe on, though. This was not the ground conditions or a bad step, or Murphy's Law. This was the trim's fault. What you leave the horse is just as important as what you take. Hope this helps your understanding. If anyone knows how to get a picture on here from Flickr, instead of a link, would be much appreciated, I'm sure, by all.

Oh, and if you compare this pic to the same one without lines, you'll see the lines by yourself and train your eye, then you'll see it out at the barn as well. For example: The white line going around the hoof that I hand drew? At the toe, its on top of the white line where its supposed to be (yellow tinged), not way out where you think it is. What is out beyond that white line is pure torque on the toe. Like a clown's shoe, like walking on your fingernail and bending it backwards kind of discomfort, exactly the pathology that leads to navicular and why he lifts his knees to get it clear of the ground with that toe and landing flat, not heel first, with a more economical sweeping/gliding movement. That is why he needs a bevel. The relief and improved movement would be instant. Now lets hope that the link works...grrrr. The preview here doesn't seem to working either.
  • Thankyou Danastark!
  • Love the info. I think DaneHaven is your biggest fan but personally I'm amazed. btw, Master Miles is thriving at Dawn Darnell's in KY and he even has a girlfriend! [':)'] And my blind horse has another blind horse for a companion!!  They are still having hoof trims every 6 weeks by Steve Johnson, Dawn's neighbor.  (and my Zag is being his usual rascal self) I'm in HI, horses are in KY. [:-]