Quick Post

How to get Spirit to eat his Cosequin?

How to get Spirit to eat his Cosequin?
  • Got the tiny $70 jar of Cosequin for Spirit yesterday as recommended by the vet, put his dose in some grain, he took one bite and walked away with his lip in the air!  Mixed in more grain, no go.  Tried molasses tonight, not a big fan but was able to get him to eat most of it by holding it in his face..... It doesn't smell like anything really so wonder what his objection is?  Hate to waste it being so expensive so any other ideas besides the molasses which he usually loves?
  • Try starting with a very small dose and gradually building it up to the full dose over several days. Paul
  • Applesauce?
    Karo syrup??
  • Thanks, Paul, yes I reduced the dose from 3 scoops to 1.  I'll give the applesauce a whirl, less messy than molasses for sure!  He's usually not picky..... he's a fat, old pony!!  Thanks, DH!
  • Will Spirit allow you to take his tongue off to a side and put your hand in his mouth so you can toss a tissue full of the cosequin down his throat?  If he is quiet, you can usually get the tongue so it is between the upper and lower teeth at the corner of his mouth and he shouldn't bite down.  A vet showed me how to do this with a horse years ago.  He had me use paper towels, but kleenex should work.  The paper will dissolve en route to the tail end.  I usually do this without help, but it is handy to have someone around in case the horse is not cooperative.  If it will mix with a liquid, a dosing syringe would work, too.
  • That probably wouldn't work too well without someone getting hurt and it wouldn't be the equine!  He is spooky about anything he senses is medical, including wormer.  We do manage to get him wormed but if I can get him to eat it, is is less traumatic for him.  I did get him to eat one scoop mixed with lots of molasses and grain this morning.  I'll take applesauce out tonight.  Thanks!
  • Applesauce is working well ':)'  Up to his 3 scoops twice a day.  He's gonna get fatter!