Quick Post

Canine Teeth

Canine Teeth
  • My Sahara seems to be getting her canine teeth. She is a mare. I read that mares don't usually have canine teeth? When do canine teeth usual start to come out and how long does it take for them to come out? Thanks. [:D]
  • Hmmm, guess I'd never thought about the difference between teeth in mares and geldings/stallions.  If I recall, most horses are done with losing, gaining teeth by about 4 1/2?
  • Usually a male horse thing but not as uncommon in mares as I'd thought. I found a paper on the web. Hopefully the part I copied will paste here. 

The Canine Teeth The canine teeth (004) are specialized for fighting in male Equidae. They erupt when the horse is four to six years old and may be the cause of considerable pain during eruption. They are the most brachydont-like teeth in the horse and are spade shaped with a convex bump on the lingual side. 

The conical dentin structure of the tooth is simple and covered with enamel unlike the incisors or cheek teeth which have infoldings of enamel and infundibula in the maxillary occlusal surfaces. Approximately 28% of females have rudimentary canine teeth which may be impacted (“blind”), unerupted, barely erupted or frequently mesially displaced1 (Fig. 1). 

The deciduous canines do not usually erupt but sometimes can be palpated as soft tissue bumps on the bars of the mouth of juvenile horses. Those that erupt are replaced by a permanent canine. Perhaps it is because of the lack of a robust deciduous precursor that pain is common during eruption. 

The deciduous tooth in other types of teeth aids in the formation of an “eruption tunnel” for the active Published in IVIS with the permission of the AAEP Close this window to return to IVIS eruption process of the permanent dentition. Without this tunnel, the erupting canine has to move coronally through the bone and soft tissue unaided.7 Painful eruption sites may be incised in a cruciate pattern after local infiltration of anesthetic to assist in this process. 

Figure 1: Soft tissue mass over blind canine and female rudimentary canine. Photo by Lynn Caldwell, DVM. The canines do not occlude and the mandibular pair is mesially situated to the maxillary pair similar to the position of the canines of small carnivores such as dogs and cats. The canine develops in the maxillary processes unlike the incisors, which develop in the incisive bone. It has been said that equine canine teeth do not continually erupt, however, it is my experience that they do continue to erupt to a small degree in young to middleaged horses, eruption ceasing at the time of apical closure which occurs at approximately ten years of age. 

Equine canine teeth are long and like an iceberg, only ten to twenty percent of their crown may be erupted. The apex is very long and deeply situated in the mandible and maxilla. In the dog, the canines extend to the mesial root of the second premolar.2 The equine mandibular canine extends its apex 5 to 7 centimeters distally past the erupted crown of the tooth into the interdental space almost to the second premolar, making removal of this tooth a surgical procedure in most cases. The maxillary canines tend to have an “L” shape (Fig. 2). Figure 2 Length of visible e in : mandibular canines 

The pictures didn't post. The paper is by a Lynn Caldwell, DVM who practices in Silverton, Oregon. It evidently was a focus paper for the AAEP. There's lots more to the paper. This is just basic and mentions mares.
  • The erupt usually 4 to six years? Is that referring to male horses? With my two guys they got theirs around 4 1/2. But can be earlier for females? guess possible but average 4 above right? See have always been confused of my horses age. If she is 3 or 4. Before we believe 4 but then teeth lead us to believe she may be younger. I then read somewhere I forget that mares get canines early but didn't seem to be backed up by any study. My other mare who is 8 years old does not have canine teeth. I shall look for the article so I can see the pictures. They are still just kind of pointy bumps located on mandible just like figure 1 right, the teeth have not penetrated the gum yet and I don't know when. Kind of makes me worried about pain. She doesn't seem to have any. 
  • I think the discomfort comes from the bit being in that area, doesn't it? I took the little appy-filly in and the vet had her partially sedated to take her wolf teeth out and come to find out she didn't have any. He was surprised and embarrassed that he hadn't checked but he seemed to have no reason to think she didn't have them. Of course- maybe I should have known she didn't have any so he probably thought I knew she did since I brought her in to have them removed. duh
  • I think the bit would bother if a premolar wolf tooth? I don't think it would bother the canine teeth unless bit made contact with them or area but usually bits up more. Sorry,  I meant would she be in a lot of pain from them erupting?
  • I've never noticed any of my youngsters indicating they were in a lot of pain.  They all ate fine, acted fine.  Scared me when they would lose teeth and leave blood marks on the other horses though!

My human babies didn't seem to mind teething much either ':)'
  • Guess it depends. She has showed any signs of pain. I don't think I would have noticed the bumps if it wasn't because I was deworming her. Hunterseat that reminds me of a story I heard where patient when in to have left arm amputated but doctor almost amputated right. Scary.