Quick Post

Loosing weight

Loosing weight
  • Baby is 18 and still in active work nothing extreme...usually a very easy keeper.  I have noticed her ribs are showing and shes just not looking right to me.  We have uped her food and still have not seen much improvement.  I have the vet coming out on Tues to do some blood work.  I would take her blood and send it out from my hospital to get it done sooner but i dont know the first thing about Large animal bloodwork. I work with small animals and now im panicing bc i now things that could be wrong.  Im worried about cushings and her kidney's. Now if it is kidneys she will need to go on a lower protein pellet.  Anyone know of any low protein foods, that are good? Any suggestions i would appreciate. Oh she is still acting fine and eating normally. Drinking normally too, but someone said she is drinking more but she usually drinks more when it is hot.

Oh and she is on a worming schedule that is set up by the vet and i just checked her stool and it was neg for parasites
  • You probably already know their digestion isn't as efficient as they get older so sometimes they need different kinds of food to keep weight on.  Is it time for senior feed?  I hope all her bloodwork comes back OK.
  • [quote=danastark]

You probably already know their digestion isn't as efficient as they get older so sometimes they need different kinds of food to keep weight on.  Is it time for senior feed?  I hope all her bloodwork comes back OK.

Yes that has crossed my mind.. I dont want to go and switch til i get the blood work back, bc if kidney's are elevated then she needs a low protien diet. She is getting safe choice right now and hay obviously with her ulcer meds.
  • I am not going to recommend anything except to ensure she has free choice hay at this point... Iwill comment MORE when you ge tthe blood work back. even if she is not having kidney problems the first diet change "I" woudl make is to get her away from Nutrena feeds and on a better feed.

Like Triple Crown Senior
  • [quote=PeggySue]

I am not going to recommend anything except to ensure she has free choice hay at this point... Iwill comment MORE when you ge tthe blood work back. even if she is not having kidney problems the first diet change "I" woudl make is to get her away from Nutrena feeds and on a better feed.

Like Triple Crown Senior

she does get unlimited hay bc of her ulcers.  Now is that food ok to feed to a horse with ulcers.?I know i have to watch carbs and starchs and sugars..
  • Yes Triple Crown Senior would be a MUCH MUCH better choice the Safe Choice... Safe Choice has grain products in it and with a horse with ulcers you really want a formula that stays the same each batch and safe choice does not...

if you give me your zip code I can search for good safe quaility feeds in your area...
  • [quote=PeggySue]

Yes Triple Crown Senior would be a MUCH MUCH better choice the Safe Choice... Safe Choice has grain products in it and with a horse with ulcers you really want a formula that stays the same each batch and safe choice does not...

if you give me your zip code I can search for good safe quaility feeds in your area...

06331.. See they told me it wasnt grain based ect ect...ugh thats just awesome [:@]...I will let you know how the blood work comes out...Thanks so much for your help!

• psst read your tag silly ';)'

OK beign that she has ulcers makes things alittle tougher

Buckeye has a dealer righ tin your town
    Highland Thistle Farm
    289 N. Society Rd.
    Canterbury, CT 06331
    USA
    860-546-3960

Go with Gro N Win and might wanna add some alfalfa pellets(alfalfa has been shown to soother ulcers) or beet pulp for extra calories

Triple Crown dealers
    http://southernstates.findlocation.com/results.aspx

go with their senior or TC 30% with the same added above whichever is most cost effective and easiest for you ':)'

• PeggySue, my horses look great.  I'll try to show you Bully.
  • HUnterseat he is looking GREAT!!! WTG pat yourself on the back for a job well done!!!
  • the vet came today we did a western blot bc does have lyme and has been treated in the past so we are double checking that and then we did ACTH insulin..so make sure its not cushings..I should have results friday..Im so nervous
  • [quote=IGotYouBabe]

the vet came today we did a western blot bc does have lyme and has been treated in the past so we are double checking that and then we did ACTH insulin..so make sure its not cushings..I should have results friday..Im so nervous

THanks for the update and let us know what you find out
  • So the western blot came back extremely high.  The vet is also worried about her ulcers.  so i have to treat with ulcergard for 5 days and start doxy for 8 weeks.  She is doing a long course of treatment bc it was so high.  Im still waiting on the cushings results.  But I think the lyme symptoms are catching up she was not feeling good the other day and barely touched her hay.  Later that night she finally ate and shes really not up to moving around.
  • It sounds like you already know that you have a problem with ulcers and they need to be treated.  Another thing to consider especially with a horse that has ulcers is hind gut acidosis, where the hind gut cannot efficiently process the nutrients and feeds past the stomach area.  Common signs are weight loss and inefficient use of feeds.  My wife works for Kentucky Equine Research and they have conducted research in this area and developed the only product on the market now that is buffered to release in the hind gut to address this issue.  I've seen quite a bit of success with the product in cases like you describe so it's worth looking into.  It's a very common problem especially with high grain diets where increased feed intake is not helping.

Here is a link KER Equishure  I'm really not the best person to provide in depth answers so take a look at it and give them a call with any questions or email aburton@ker.com
  • [quote=aabrtn]

It sounds like you already know that you have a problem with ulcers and they need to be treated.  Another thing to consider especially with a horse that has ulcers is hind gut acidosis, where the hind gut cannot efficiently process the nutrients and feeds past the stomach area.  Common signs are weight loss and inefficient use of feeds.  My wife works for Kentucky Equine Research and they have conducted research in this area and developed the only product on the market now that is buffered to release in the hind gut to address this issue.  I've seen quite a bit of success with the product in cases like you describe so it's worth looking into.  It's a very common problem especially with high grain diets where increased feed intake is not helping.

Here is a link KER Equishure  I'm really not the best person to provide in depth answers so take a look at it and give them a call with any questions or email aburton@ker.com

her ulcers have been treated and she is on U7 for her ulcers all the time.  I stay away from carbs, starches and grain diets as much as i can....