Quick Post

Chronic Hoof Crack

Chronic Hoof Crack
  • Hello all. This is my first time asking anyone on the internet about it, I've talked to my barefoot trimmer, vet, and other horsey people about it. I have full faith in my barefoot guy, he is great and really knows his stuff, but the crack just isn't going away. Anyway, my horse (9 years old this year), has a chronic crack/chip in his front right hoof. It has been there since I can remember thinking about it (at least 4-5 years). It gets better, to a sense, in that the hoof grows out and it becomes slightly smaller, but it never completely goes away. It is always there in some sense in the same squarish way. I'm attaching a picture for those of you wondering. Does any one have any idea as to what to do with this? BTW, I refuse to put shoes on him. Horse's weren't meant to have shoes, so shoes will remain off. Thanks for your time.  
  • Do you feed anything like Black Oil Sunflower Seeds? I know Sr.Feed has stuff in it, too.
    That's odd, isn't it? Don't have any experience with that.  Steve Johnson is my trimmer. [':)']
  • No Black Oil Sunflower seeds to my knowledge. I feed timothy balance cubes (softened with water), about half a pound of Nutrena pellets, and a few supplements. My other horse gets the exact same things, so I cant imagine it being a nutritional issue. My farrier told me about Grapefruit seed extract, I've been using that, but we decided now to use the extract and then wrap the hoof. I'll be changing the bandages and cleaning the hoof every other day, and re-applying the extract. Just to see if that will help. The grapefruit see extract is supposed to be a natural bacterial killer, but it doesn't harm good tissue (such as the white line). He has had good luck with this before, with other horses with bad feet. So we will see if this works. 

• Welcome,
    I don't see what a natural bacterial killer is going to do?
    What bacteria are you trying to kill? and what is this suspect bacteria doing to the hoof?  What is the big ridge from? 

I would start Black oil sunflower and get some other hoof people to assess. 
    You may have all the confidence in your barefoot guy, but if he is wrong how does that help your horse?
    More pics would be helpful.

• I agree with getting a 2nd opinion. We have a horse that has chronic hoof problems with cracking. Our vet and farrier recommended Flax Seed meal which we give to all our horses which is good for hooves and hair. With the problem horse we also use a pine tar hoof stuff that you spread on the hooves. I do our horses feet now and probably the main thing is I when I see issues I trim so big chunks don't come off. I would advise that you study the Nutrina feed instructions on the bag. I use Nutrina and I think their guide says 1/4 - 1/2 pound of feed per 100 lbs of horse. The guide gives various information on activity level to consider as well.
  • sounds like a case of seedy toe to me.  I had a mare that had a toe crack that we would almost get it grown out and it would crack up more.  I convinced my farrier to cut the wall well above the current crack after doing some looking at pics and cases on the internet.  I think he was thinking that i was nuts and was going to do it to just please me.  He was quite surprized that the crack was much further up the wall than what the crack was showing.  by paring away all that dead matter, the hoof wall was allowed to grow out without anymore cracking.  we fought with this crack for over a year.  by the next year, there was no sign of the crack at all.  

Just my experience. as others have said... more pics would be great=)
  • Thanks for all of your help guys! Question Double Barrel, I sort of think that by cutting away the hoof that high up it might cause some lameness issues. That crack is pretty high up. But it is a good idea. I'll bring it up to my farrier, he may look at me like I'm nuts as well. 

I will get more pics up as soon as I can. 

Thanks again!

• DB the seedy toe makes sense. 
    And I remember my farrier explaining that you have to take a lot off, we were discussing it back when I had that badly foundered rescue.
    I will ask him to re-educamate me. [8|]
  • I had that badly foundered rescue.

What did you do for that horse?  I am beginning to think that it might be Topper's problem.  He was doing fine until the sole became irritated with the dirt under the pad and with the early spring here, he has been getting grass and getting more sore.  He doesn't really have heat in the feet, but he has definitely got sore shoulders and a sore back from trying to get off the feet.  His eyes are bright, he is willing to do whatever is asked of him, but I put him back on pain meds and plan on keeping him either in or in the barnyard, which will depend on whether or not he frets if I let him out.  I have been blessed with never having a horse with this issue so I have never had to deal with it in the past.  I do, however, seem to remember that spring grass is not a good thing.  He was on hay most of the fall because I wasn't letting him down to the pasture.  Looking back, I can't help but wonder if that is why he improved.
  • Connie,
    I hope that is not the case with Topper.
    First off I did epsom salt soaks. But my farrier said that he remembered that the old-timers use to do neatsfoot oil soaks so I would try that first. 
    The grass could be contributing? I know you feed BOSS but how much? what kind of hay? no grain?

Our poor mare "D" some farrier glued pads on her feet upside down and backwards underneath some egg bar shoes?????? She was very bad off.
    We basically tore everything off and he ended up chopping her toes really short. (removing the dead stuff)
    Poor "D" did well through it all for what we did to her. We ended up getting her to someone who specialized in dealing with founder along with another rescue we had with ringbone starting. We took 2 emaciated rescues from her to so she had room to take them both. 

D recovered and was on her way to a new forever home when she was lost to colic. [':(']
    I still feel guilt about that case because instead of taking her immediately I tried to get the owners to care for her properly. 
  • Mary, you are so soft hearted. You're an inspiration to me.  More people should have a heart like yours.
  • Connie, Be very cautious with a horse that gets foot sore when on spring grass. If he has foundered in the past they have the tendency to founder easier the next time. If a horse is Insulin Resistant green grass must be carefully limited, as well as any grains.If this is the case then please try him on a magnesium supplement, or better yet Quiessence. I had a horse that was a little underweight and foundered. She was IR and would get footsore on any green grass or grain. Poor thing could only go out on the pasture when the grass turned brown.
  • upside down and backwards underneath some egg bar shoes???

Sounds like the horse was shod for navicular.

Joyce, thank you for the advice.  I will look into that. 

• How's that crack doing? I guess it would be more like a chip and if all is well, it should be just about grown out by now.

In your picture, the total length of the hoof should end at the top of that hole, so the hoof is too long. When the horse breaks over his toe for the hoof to leave the ground, there is tremendous torque on it and the toe is giving away.

Its like growing your fingernail long, bending it backwards and then walking on it kind of feeling....same kind of torque. 

The wall should be even with the sole on the solar side and the white line should 1/8" wide all the way around. If its wider at the toe, then its getting stretched...also giving in from this kind of torque.

There can also be a crenna involved. An existing trench going down the nose of P3. The hoof always takes the shape of the bone and if so, will take this kind of shape...mirrors it. It will also show up as a divot at 12 o'clock at the toe on the solar side. 

Speak to your trimmer, get the wall down even with the sole and put on a more proactive bevel, most importantly....you get the torque off the toe, keep it off and it will heal and grow down and away. 

Consider it an "in" with infection in the meantime and treat accordingly. It could be an infection like seedy toe that is already giving this crack the life it shouldn't have. Fighting any infection, keeping the bevel maintained (or the torque is right back on, so timely trims)are key. 

Short of testing your hay, get California Trace Minerals, also very important for strong healthy hooves. This product is a rare one for having adequate amounts of minerals needed. Copper is very important for hoof health and integrity. I would also bevel outward the bottom edges of that crack where the square corners of the hole meet the ground. Its waiting to catch and tear more damage in the meantime. Hope this helps....
  • missyclare,
    I edited the paragraphing for you. Your posts are always such an education. 
    I appreciate your posts and wish you would stop by more often.