Quick Post

MAD BEYOND BELIEF !!

MAD BEYOND BELIEF !!
  • Ok, So Since I just recently got back into horses within the last month and a half, I was late on stocking up a couple ton of hay for the season, it was either all sold out or all GARBAGE !! In turn meaning untill the next cuts come around i am forced to buy from the local feed stores, but thats been a HUGE problem, seems 9 out of 10 bales are ALWAYS moldy, musty, or just plain stinky wierd smelling and i will NOT feed that to my horses, im loosing and wasting alot of money, my horses do not eat as well as they need to since i can not locate good hay,
    I am at my wits end, and contimplating feeding the bagged cubed hay that i know will be mold, dust etc free..... my question is though, whats your opinions on the cubed hay, my fear is they wont get enough, or theyll choke, it seems to me a bag would only last a horse maybe 3 days at a guess ??? and its not cheap, there like 13.00 a bag....any ideas or suggestions untill i can get my hand in on some toneage when its cut again ?? iv looked high and low in the paper and on craigslist..... =(
  • That is frustrating...... there's a company on craigslist (redbarnhay, I think) and I think you are listed in their delivery area but you have to get at least 5 tons at a time.

My friend feeds cubes but she soaks them a little.

Goodluck to you.
  • There's a guy down here that has Central Oregon hay. I bought hay (3 tons) from a guy in the valley when people were haying and it was awful stuff! I had him come back and get it. Ended up buying from this other guy. It's NOT cheap but it's great hay! If you're interested, I can PM his number to you. I had him deliver mine but you're quite a distance away... If he can't help you, maybe he knows someone up there that deals in Central OR hay.
  • I totally understand your frustration.  Paying good money and then getting crap seems to be becoming normal.  If it isn't moldy or dusty, it falls apart when you pick it up and you have to feed it with a shovel!   We are paying $17.99 per bale for alfalfa (10 or more) and $17.59 per bale for orchard grass.  The last load I got was pretty good compared to the junk I have been getting.  I was told that the exporters have been buying up the hay before it is even baled.
      One of the sad results of this high priced hay is that more and more people are getting rid of their horses any way they can as they can't afford to feed them.  The rescues are full of wonderful horses.  Horse prices have dropped to the lowest they have been in years and lots of horse businessness are throwing in the towel.  Such a shame and most of it is due to simple greed on the part of a few. 
  • My feed mfr recommends adding alfalfa pellets to make the feed a complete feed for horses that can't process hay well.  So I don't worry so much about not having hay.  I have to say my son picked up hay for me the other day.  My hay man was out of the $4 bales and I had to pay $7.  He got a dozen.  I probably need to go ahead and buy lots more while it's available.
  • Found an ad for Albany area - grass hay, reasonable. PM me if you're interested in the number.
  • I'm getting my hay from a guy out in my area off of tile flat rd don't know if thats to far for you its pretty decent local grass. My horses get grain and supplements and do fine (even my saddlebred whos known for being a hard keeper) It was $3.50 a bale 75-80lbs 30 to a ton ($120) msg if you want directions/numbers I also buy beet pulp and rice bran. Alfalfa pellets can be a good value.

good luck! don't get discouraged! Word of mouth can be better than listings
  • Thanks everyone, and sorry for my posting and running =( I really appreciate the info, lately seems i just cant get online much with everything going on, and last night my new rescue horse choked BAD on alfalfa pellets and went down drowing in his own foam from aspiration, the vet rushed out and he pulled thru it after about 45 minutes, but was sooooooo TERRYFYING !!!  Since hes had a rough life before we got him, hes a nervouse wreck, always eating fast and darting around while he eats to make sure nobody/ or horse is going to come hurt him or take his food, hes kinda like a special needs child with a rough past....long story short, since he eats so fast in a panick, he doesnt chew it all and  he inhales it instead, causing him to choke....now we have to soak his pellets, and put a big rock in his bucket so he has to work and dig to get small amounts at a time..... =(  hes fed seperatly from kotee, so he really doesnt need to defend his food, itll just take him time to realize , hesss oooook, and calm down... =)
  • Wow, that must've been terrifying!!  Glad he pulled through.....  I've heard of putting big, smooth rocks in their bucket to slow them down.  I wonder if they ever get over having to fight for their food.  I had a dog that never did......  Have you gotten a chance to see if he is rideable yet?
  • yea, it was terryfying, I was freaking out bad !!! I cant believe how attatched iv gotten in such a short time, hes had such a rough life, i just feel so much campassion for him =( And hes definately not broke to ride, the vet said hes 7 years old, and i can tell yah hes a typical arab, head up high, tail straight up, snorty, dancy prancy, and likes to rear lol..... but hes such a sweetheart, yah cant help but fall in love with him..... hes a keeper, he needs to be in a forever home he can call his own, hes like a special needs child and i just dont think or feel anyone would be as pateint with him as i will be, its just not a chance im willing to ever take... well give him till spring to settle in and gain his grocerys, then this spring well put a trainer onto him =)  Im now soaking his pellets into a nice warm mash, but still tremble in my boots afraid hell choke again =( and im not sure if hell ever get over the fear he has really, ....but well keep assuring him  hes ok
    =)

• I'm glad everything turned out OK for you.

That second picture should be made into a Christmas card.
  • oohhhh......... Thats a GREAT idea !!!! I was just sitting here thinking about christmas cards not even ten minutes before i seen your post to =) thats crazy !! lol .... boy, I can hardly wait, i plan to decorate the barn all up in lights for the boys, kinda thinking our house may not get any lights this year =)