Quick Post

itchy horse from a cooler climate

itchy horse from a cooler climate
  • I have a blue roan grulla who has 1 or 2 sores at a time on her shoulder ares.  no tail or hindquarter effected.  she seems to get worse when she rubs on ceader trees.  Current on worming and vacc.  treated for fungus for 3 months now.  it will clear up and then a small sore will come back.  She also itches her neck on everything possible.  What can i do could it be allerigies since she has never had this before?  Please help.
    She was originally from Iowa, then to west Tx now near Austin, Tx  105 not good for anybody.
  • Could it possibly be lice or some kind of parasite? 

So the fungus treatment works and then it comes back?  Can you just continue treating her for fungus?  I know some people dilute bleach or use listerine.  I personally haven't done either for the coat HOWEVER I will wash them and put a dandruff shampoo on them and leave it on for 20 min, then rinse.  If nothing else she will get a good hosing off! 

Hope you get it figured out.  WELCOME too, btw!  Texas is a hot place for sure.  Danehaven, as you may have seen is from Harper-by-God.  There are other Texans who check in from time to time.

It's hot here too.  about 100 today.  But I keep telling myself "It's not as hot as Kuwait.  It's not as hot as Kuwait."  It got 120 there and that wasn't the worst.  That's just when I got the heck out!! 
  • Listerine works sometimes. [8|] Just get the generic stuff. 
    Better yet try M-T-G
    Shake it really good and wear rubber gloves. It stinks to high heaven. (sulphery) 
    Tonto the "wonder horse"gets a couple spots on his hip and his tail gets really bad. The past couple years his knees too. MTG keeps it under control plus it makes the hair grow.

Welcome.

• Welcome!

Tea tree oil works on fungus as well...also is anti-bacterial, and I'm thinking anti-viral too (can't swear to that part).  Worth trying if nothing else is working.  I agree that it sounds like it could be some kind of parasite...mites or some such.  Could it be her skin is just dry?  That can cause intense itching, to the point that horses (and people!) will rub/scratch until they form sores.  Sometimes moving to a hot/dry climate can trigger that kind of thing, and it is pretty typical to see it in just a few areas rather than all over.  If that's the case, stuff like dandruff shampoo and listerine will likely make it worse instead of better because it will dry things out further.  Just a shot in the dark from my own itchy skin experiences.  Hope you find a solution! 
  • Welcome.

You have received a lot of good advice.  I would prevent her from getting near the cedar trees.  Cedar oil is a main ingredient in blisters.  A blister is used to cause an irritation where ever you put it so that (in theory) the body will rush to heal that irritation and in doing so, will heal whatever was wrong in that spot in the first place.  You will get a scabby, scurfy, sometimes oozy sore spot.  When they heal, they are quite apt to itch.

Hope this helps.  Again, welcome to our group.