Quick Post

Good news from equine hospital re: Spirit

Good news from equine hospital re: Spirit
  • Had my suspicions.... he had surgery about 4 yrs. ago to remove a squamous cell carcinoma tumor in his sheath area, expensive but well worth it.  He's had a little scabby area on his skin on the outside corner of his sheath and the first time the vet looked at it, he thought it might just be bugs or sunburn but it has gotten worse and when he looked at it today, he said he's sure it's back..... so off we go to the vet hospital again...... frustrating and scary as I was reading up on it's recurrence and that when it does it tends to metastisize.....  but, they fixed him before, will do it again, right?  He's fat and sassy right now except for about a quarter sized scab down there.
  • Got an appt. at the equine hospital for Thursday morning.  The vet who does the surgeries is supposed to call me to discuss his history, etc.  I really like this place.  When we took Tahoe in for his broken withers, it was $140 for 4 x-rays and the evaluation!
  • I hope everything works out OK for Spirit and that his "minor surgery" solves the problem.
  • Oh dana. [':(']  Spirit is the best horse EVER.  How many kids/people have gained or regained their confidence on that boy!!  Prayers up for Spirit.  Let us know. 
  • The vet called me last night and asked questions about Spirit and his previous surgery, etc.  She seemed very nice.  Spirit is oblivious, just thinks I'm mean for having him on a diet!
  • Took Spirit to the equine hospital this morning, took about enough sedative to take down an elephant to get him in the exam room...... decided to do surgery plus cisplatin beads (chemo) in the tumor sites, scheduled for this afternoon, drove home trying to think of ways to help pay for this surgery..... there was a message from the vet asking me to call before they could do surgery.  She said on pre-op blood work he is extremely anemic which probably means the cancer has spread to something vital........ took my breath away..... she couldn't believe it either as he looks so healthy, ran the test twice to be sure....... so now after discussion we are doing some diagnostic tests (rectal, chest/abdomen ultrasound, chem panel) to see if they can figure out where the anemia is coming from.  I'm in shock........ Waiting to see what they find and then we'll have to make a decision..... why, why, why.......?  He's the best pony ever, so many little ones and big ones have learned to ride under his calm, obedient tutelege.......

Okay, trying to think positively.........  maybe I'll clean house to keep my self busy until I hear.....
  • Got a call and so far his rectal exam and abdominal ultrasound are negative except for an enlarged spleen.  Sometimes there is an autoimmune condition where the spleen sequesters red blood cells.  Exercise can cause it to release them so they are going to lunge him tomorrow and then take more blood, do a chest x-ray and an oral exam.
  • The vet called around 11 today and for whatever reason, Spirit's blood count is perfectly normal this morning!  They don't know why he would appear so anemic yesterday and be normal today but the good news, he is OK and we know his cancer hasn't spread!  He is cleared for surgery tomorrow morning ':)'  Now just gotta figure out how to work that into my summer budget......  Such a relief though!
  • Woohoo! Happy dancing for Spirit! (and Dana) Sending thoughts and prayers for an uneventful easy surgery.
  • Just got word that they're taking him in for surgery.  They were going to call and give me time to come but apparently they just heard an emergency surgery is coming from somewhere and decided to get him done now so I won't be able to get there in time..... it's about 45 min + away.  Oh well, praying for skilled fingers and eyes from the surgeon, getting all this nasty cancer..... hoping with the new method of implanting chemo beads in there, he will completely get rid of it or at least for longer.......
  •  Just heard that Spirit did well and the cancer was not very deep. They placed chemotherapy beads in there that will irradiate the tissue for 30 days and he has to go back for some follow-up treatment, injections but looks good! Phew!  Probably get to go pick him up tomorrow.
  • Wonderful news.  Happy for you.  Glad for Spirit.  
  • Calling this morning to see if I can pick Spirit up today ':)'