Quick Post

Uderweight horse - the cure!

Uderweight horse - the cure!
  • Just a nice update on Thunder, our appendix QH gelding.  He dropped a shocking amount of weight this fall when his diet was changed to grass hay; the other horses keep well on it but Thunder grew very gaunt and ribby - a humbling experience for an experienced horse owner, but sometimes these things sneak up on you.  I started feeding him a 1-to-1 ratio of beet pulp (soaked), alfalfa pellets and C.O.B. twice a day, along with a fat supplement and vitamin/mineral complex.  He is finally looking good again, it took 2 months but I am quite pleased with the results.

Here he is now:

one month ago:

and six weeks ago:

He is getting free choice hay throughout the day and night as well.  I have switched to a locally milled livestock grain mix with triticale, oats, barley, corn, wheat and peas, soaked into a mash, and alfalfa pellets, no more beet pulp.  I still assess his weight closely after each ride (when his winter coat is sweated down) and adjust his ration accordingly.

• He's lookin' good! The grass hay shouldn't have done that to him last fall, unless he was getting pushed off by the competition. Do you have any idea what caused it? Did he remain sound when this happened? Good to investigate...don't want it happening again.  Sometimes pain can nag at their weight like that and it being autumn, falls right in line with that thought.  I like the diet you had for weight gain. It did a nice job. Beet pulp certainly is the ticket for gaining. Its a pain to soak though, isn't it? I finally quit it in the frigid temps of winter.
    It looks like he's hard at work and for that, he needs protein. The need increases the harder he works. That's your energy....lasting energy. It even takes energy to metabolize the protein in the first place, let alone use it.  Unlike electrolytes, that can be furnished along the way, the tank of metabolized protein that he has stored will be the deciding factor on how much energy he has for that ride.  So keep an eye on the protein.
    I'm wondering about the basically grain based feed you have switched him over to. It's become a high carb diet that provides explosive energy that quickly peters out and takes him towards IR.

I would suggest you use fresh ground flax, 2-4 oz./day. This replaces your oil, which he has no use for and provides the essential fatty acids (omega 3 and 6) This will shine his coat and can stave off inflammation as well. By the amount of sweat he has, I'd be feeding him a couple of tbns. of iodized salt in his food as well. I would also keep the alfalfa cubes for the protein added or a hay extender to compliment your hay.  Another thing that would benefit him is a slow feeder and keep those minerals coming...their crucial.
    You've done well! Hope this helps to carry your thoughts forward!
  • Looks like you are kicking some butt up there!  I actually find myself very interested in this topic as I am often thinking about my horses weight, and have nursed some seniors back to nice shape. 

My vet who I work with closely on the weight gain issue has suggested I use a combination of the following, which I have modified a bit over the years.  Some ingredients I have used all together and in combinations are:

Senior feed ( No mollasas ) - I have liked the Golden Age Senior, but I wouldn't be too picky.

Rice Bran - Stabalized.....Triple Crown is pretty good, but again, not picky.

Corn Oil - I eventually stopped using the oil after a few months......and I did notice a decline in weight gain, so I am pretty sure the oil was packed with calories.

Platinum Performance - Also stopped using this and have not noticed a huge difference...but this inparticular horse was not worked hard.  Now I just use sporatically.

I had also used a product called Revolution Rx from Bivance....I wish I could have continued on this stuff as it really changed one horse and took a dull and sticky coat and made it soft and shiney.  BIG difference, but a bit pricey.  It helps horses digest very efficiently and all the good stuff is absorbed by the horse, and less poop comes out the back!  Really works. 

Final note......a blood test might be a good idea......have you done it?

Eric

• A quick note on beet pulp: the shreds soak up cold water in about 10 minutes, while the pellets take overnight at best.  The shreds are not as cost-effective but the convenience is worth it.

Thunder has been a 'hard keeper' through the winters most of his life, he is very animated, even in his stall, and has a light TB type build.  I suppose I could spend a fortune on blood work and the nine yards, but giving him an extra ration seems to do the job.  My Arabian, Taz (now deceased) was the same way.  Both horses had a lighter conformation type, and were kept in a herd of easy keepers - where low quality hay is an asset. 

There were multiple factors in Thunder's weight loss this fall.  We spent 3 weeks in the backcountry in September, where he lost all of his fat stores and came back in lean, mean condition.  We had a very dry summer and the pasture is quite depleted here, so he didn't gain back his fat during the early part of fall.  As his muscles waned from not being used, his long coat grew in, and the horses were switched to their grass hay diet.  I threw a blanket on Thunder to ward off the damp fall chill, then it seemed like overnight we had a skinny horse on our hands.   

Now I watch him like a hawk.  He plumped up good so I cut back his evening ration.  Two weeks later I am noticing his neck starting to slack and his hip hollowing out again, so back to the twice a day ration it is.  I cut out the beet pulp but am keeping him on the alfalfa. 

In hindsight, I would start Thunder on an extra ration after returning from elk camp, and grain him at least once a day once we start feeding hay.  Hopefully next year will be better.  Some lessons are hard learned. 

• Hi there,

Grain & other high starch feed is not *generally* the best option for horses. It's important that if fed, to ensure it's well processed and fed little & often, rather than only a couple of larger feeds daily. The larger/more infrequently fed, the higher likelihood and severity of problems it may cause. Corn is one of the most problematic grains for horses and is best avoided.
  • She looks very healthy now that's because of your dedication.I'm pretty happy with your effort .Good job....
  • .... Thunder is now officially fat and happy.  It has been four months and then some since I began his feeding program.  I'll try to scrape the mud off him and get a picture soon.  He looks like most horses do at the end of summer.  If it was anyone else I would worry but I like to see him like this.  I have cut out the evening grain again, we'll see how he does. 
  • horse is looking good and healthy nice.
    ===============
    Earl Nunes
  • here he is the end of March:

I am starting to ride him regular now that it is spring, get some muscle back on his topline and quarters.

• I like my horses on the 'chunky' side.  I don't like seeing rib at all.  Both my horses were put on beet pulp (shredded and wet) and put the weight on very nicely.  It also works great as a natural way to treat sand colic without the gas of psyllium.  A handful of dry in with their grain or pellets works like a charm.
  • I've used the same beet pulp routine for adding weight to horses. I purchased a severely underweight off-the-track gelding at a Saturday night auction last year and nursed him back to a healthy weight using soaked pulp. He lost again over the winter (though not as bad), along with a TB mare. I've always soaked it, but the directions say its not required. What do you think about feeding it dry?
  • You can feed the beet pulp shreds dry but not the pellets; the pellets expand at irregular intervals and can cause colic in the large intestine.  The shreds expand rapidly in the lumen of the stomach. 

I still think they are better fed wet, I like the 'lubricating' property of a beet pulp mash in that it helps carry concentrated dry feed (grain) through the stomach at a nice, even pace, maximizing digestion of nutrients and eliminating gassy colic.  I think of it like eating a bowl of oatmeal as opposed to a granola bar......  

• 3E, he looks much improved':)'

However, since I have two insulin resistant horses and my good friend has a cushings/IR horse, I might think he is leaning toward metabolic issues.

1.  When my 23 yr old was formally diagnosed with IR four years ago, he dropped about 80# in six weeks (yes it does sneak up on you and it's like being slapped in the face with a dirty diaper).

2.  Your horse's coat looks very much like the coat my 23 yr old IR horse gets these days and didn't used to.  If that type of coat has ALWAYS been what this horse gets, then I wouldn't worry much, otherwise, I might harbor thoughts of metabolic issues, including the beginnings of cushings.

Please don't interpret this as mean-spirited, I just know that many of us (myself and my friend included) have a tendency to live in denial with these metabolic diseases.  While we see our horses every day, we honestly don't "see" what is going on with them and sometimes a disinterested eye can pick up something unusual.

I don't know how your fella is, so maybe that long very wavy coat is just something he always gets.  Still-in-all, I might have an ACTH test done on him since spring is the right time of year to do that.  The vet could draw another vile of blood to check insulin level which, at this point in time in your area, would probably read normal, so I might want to wait until you have consistent temps in the 70's - 80's with a lot of sunshine.

Having said all of that, you've done a great job bringing his weight back up':)'

• WTW I always appreciate your insight into the pathphysiology of horses ';)'.  Thunder was wearing his normal winter coat, but I am going to keep a close watch on him as we approach the coming fall and winter.  Right now we are still in the 2 steps forward, one step backward phase of his weight; I am integrating pasture and regular riding into his routine so that threw some new variables in.... like how much turnout on what type of grass is enough for a day, or too much for a day, or if he is only out for two hours how much hay should he get? 

I am not putting any of my horses out 24/7 but have sequestered the deepest grass with temporary hotwire fencing and turning them onto that for a few hours at a time.  So I have cut back the grain in Thunder's diet. 

I wouldn't completely rule out metabolic issues but he is healthy and has a lot of pep under saddle, put up with a good trail ride the other weekend after having the winter off from any real work.  No skin issues or strange hair growth (he's shedding out his winter coat in droves now along with the other hroses) and his hooves are sound.  I have seen Cushings' syndrome horses and they had patchy areas of strange hair growth, Thunder's is equal opportunity winter shag.  I don't clip my horses and generally don't blankey them, I used a blanket during the very cold snaps here with Thunder to conserve calories more than keep him warm and toasty.  I am in coastal Oregon where a 'cold snap' is lows in the 20's and occasionally teens - but normally the winter temps hang between 28* low and 45* high.

My plan this coming fall is to start graining him when the grass begins to go dormant and to give him double the hay ration as my easy keepers - I think my greatest mistake was treating him like the other horses, who get fat on air.  If he still drops weight rapidly in the fall then I will consider getting diagnostic tests done.

• I have read of a lot of horses that dropped a tremendous amount of weight this winter, when their herd mates did not.  More than usual and owned by experienced horse owners like ourselves.

My 25 yr old Arab was one of them, and it includes some muscle loss.  Even though it was in the back of my mind, I didn't have the vet test him for cushings.

My two IR guys are in the EMS study program at the University of MN, so the next time the vet has to draw blood on them for the program, I am going to have him test my Arab. 

The Arab's coat is normal and sheds normal but that doesn't always mean anything at that age.  He has passed every other aspect of a physical that I can think of, so my other thoughts are encysted strongyles or stomach tumors.  He really doesn't have any of the classic ES symptoms, so I am not chancing Powerpacking him because he is now underweight; I have read that is dangerous to do with a horse that's underweight.

Streeter's only 13.3H and has always carried a steady weight of 842 - 850 lbs.  I haven't taped him but I am guessing he's around 780# and virtually no muscle.

He eats more than my three Walkers put together, I have added timothy/alfalfa cubes and soybean meal to his diet, so we'll see what happens with him.

It's a great indicator that you were able to ride your horse and he came back with a lot of energy.  One of the first things metabolic issues do, is drag their energy level way down.

I remember trail riding with my friend just before her Paso Fini was diagnosed IR/cushings and he went down with her on a mild hill climb.  It was completely out of character for him but, looking back now, I understand that his metabolic issues were draining his energy and he just couldn't make that mild climb like he used to.

I guess what I am saying, is to be watchful of how long his energy level stays up when you're riding.  I hope, hope, hope you never have to deal with these metabolic issues.  It's not only a heartbreaker but a frustrating hairpuller.  Although if I have to have an issue with my Arab, above, I would rather it be metabolic than encysted strongyles or stomach tumors.