Quick Post

strange health problems- HELP?

strange health problems- HELP?
  • hi all, I have a 4 year old Shire cross mare that has been acting strangely: she came up lame on her right front about 2 1/2 weeks ago, could not find any heat, swelling, injury or tenderness anywhere- lameness has been on/off.  Then she seemed to not exactly know how to use her legs- all round.  Now she does have swelling between her hind legs- super itchy and a small squishy swelling in the belly button area.  And now she is lame on her left front.  No heat in hooves or tenderness- not founder- right?  Besides she hasn't been on rich pasture etc    She's eating, and otherwise happy/normal.  She is vaccinated for everything, dewormed regularly, etc  Vet's been out twice and coming again tomorrow; has tested for all tick and mosquito illnesses.  Has she ingested something toxic, is she allergic to something?  I thought of insect bite/sting, but would that last this long? 
       She's a very sweet horse and my favorite to ride, any ideas/thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks
  • Has a vet been called??
  • I agree with PeggySue, call the vet.  I would have some blood work done if the vet doesn't have any ideas right off.
  • I agree, time to call a vet.
    Also I believe some drafts can grow up until 7 (correct me if I'm wrong), so could it just be growing pains?
    But that wouldn't explain the swelling in her belly button area.
    But a vet should probably be called since the problem seems to be unknown
  • sounds like it could be nurologicial.    maybe an equine massage therapists.

• Hey you guys, she has had the vet out a couple times:

Vet's been out twice and coming again tomorrow; has tested for all tick and mosquito illnesses

I would suspect some sort of toxicity throughout the body w/ the belly button swelling like that.  Has she had any opprotunity to eat toxic plants?
  •  Hello mare13 I am sorry to hear your mare is off. Have you checked the pasture for any toxic plants? It does sound nurological sp to me also.
      I had a mare who was acting really off one day, very sweaty and ears were drooping she was also having a hard time finding her feet. I called the vet and he couldn't figure anything out! I decided to take her off the pasture, I went out and picked every plant I couldn't identify and took them to the county agg dep. It turned out she had been eating lupine which is highly toxic and can cause permenent nerve and brain damage!!

Sorry for the novel and hope you get some awnsers! Best of luck
    jwj
  • Has the vet checked for EPM.  Younger horses can have a problem with this while older ones might not. 
  • This really does not sound like EPM at all.  The itchiness, swelling, front legs being affected, etc.  all are not typical EPM signs. 
  • Thanks everybody...vet was out this am again- 3rd time, although I had to be at work so I didn't get to talk to him.  He's doing more bloodwork to see about anything toxic, I think.  I have seen night shade in the pasture in the past, although I always remove it, and it's not supposed to taste good.  I've also seen them nibble on burning nettle at times?  Now I'm wondering if she got stung  between her hind legs, then I saw her straddling a small pine tree and itching like crazy (poor girl).  Maybe the needles or sap really irritated her??  But that doesn't really explain the lameness in the front.  I worried about founder, but she is not on a lush pasture, and no change in her diet (purina strategy, and grassy hay).  The tick/mosquito disease tests came back negative so...  ??  Asked about giving her steroid or antihistimine, but I guess he wants to know what's up  first.  Supposed to get these results Thurs am, so hopefully we'll figure something out.  Thanks again everybody!
  • Okay, I really don't know anything..... have you called a vet?  JUST KIDDING!!! 
    I do know one thing....this horse is expensive! [':)']  I hope you get to the bottom of this.  I really like my Bowen therapist.  She uses other therapies, too.  She works with muscles to help them realign their own structural issues - if that makes any sense.  The front lameness sounds like something might be out of whack.  Where are you?  Can you look up a therapist near you?  I used a massage therapist and an accupuncure/chiro/vet before but my horses and I LOVE our Bowen therapist!!! 
  • Just because she is not on lush pasture does not mean laminitis/founder is ruled out.  There are many causes - including toxic weeds, mechanical founder, and road founder to name a few.
  • I really don't know all the details of EPM, but I thought it demonstrated neurological-type symptoms.  There is no reason to believe that the mare isn't having two separate problems.  One perhaps insect related cite reactions and something else.  Butterscotch has developed over the last two or three years a sensitivity to tick bites and will have localized reactions which are quite itchy.  These present with large scabs and within that scab is usually a tick.  Until the reason for the mare's problems are discovered I don't think blatantly ruling out something is a good choice.  I'm only suggesting a possibility of something that she might investigate not "the" reason.
  • [quote=mare13]

Thanks everybody...vet was out this am again- 3rd time, although I had to be at work so I didn't get to talk to him.  He's doing more bloodwork to see about anything toxic, I think.  I have seen night shade in the pasture in the past, although I always remove it, and it's not supposed to taste good.  I've also seen them nibble on burning nettle at times?  Now I'm wondering if she got stung  between her hind legs, then I saw her straddling a small pine tree and itching like crazy (poor girl).  Maybe the needles or sap really irritated her??  But that doesn't really explain the lameness in the front.  I worried about founder, but she is not on a lush pasture, and no change in her diet (purina strategy, and grassy hay).  The tick/mosquito disease tests came back negative so...  ??  Asked about giving her steroid or antihistimine, but I guess he wants to know what's up  first.  Supposed to get these results Thurs am, so hopefully we'll figure something out.  Thanks again everybody!

Just my two cents...Problems in the hind end can cause her to go lame in front too..so the problem can be coming from her hind end..you see it more with older arthritic horses with hocks..but if something does hurt in the hind end she could be compensating and you could see it in the front... shes a 4 yr old draft cross has the vet maybe considered OCD? maybe she is growing too fast?
  • Hey all, back with an update...(raining out)  Talked to the vet several times now, he is leaning towards founder or Lyme's.  Still waiting on that Lyme blood test, I guess he won't get it til Tuesday now.  I'm very surprised to hear founder, as she does not fit any of the classic/typical causes or sympyoms! But my vet says "they can founder on air and water"????  He also said she wouldn't show the classic signs as this is chronic founder not acute founder.  And that time was the only 'remedy' if that's what it is.  I don't ride on a hard surface, and honestly I haven't had much chance to ride at all this spring. ':('  She's not overweight, no change in her diet etc    I'm hoping she is lame up front because she is shifting the weight there because of her swelling in the upper inner hind legs.  I can't imagine that she has two separate issues going on?  Vet said to increase her bute and keep up the cold hosing, may give her dex... something in her feed to help with the itching (but can't get that til Tuesday either).  I did get a book on toxic plants several years ago- that sure caused some sleepless nights!  Anyway, I have scoured their pasture and it is toxic plant free.  There are 3 other horses in this same pasture with her, they are all fine; unless she is suddenly allergic to something?  I just hate seeing her in discomfort!!  She is still so hot and swollen in between her upper hind legs and still has that swelling by her belly button area.  Most lame on her left front at this time, but that changes too.  10 cc of oral bute doesn't seem to help much or last long.  I wish I could do something more for her, and I HATE waiting...
      but   Thanks again everybody!  keep those thoughts and ideas coming