Quick Post

Dusty horse?

Dusty horse?
  • Anything I can use for a super dusty horse? Sonny is always dusty no matter how long I brush him and groom him. And I'm starting to wonder if maybe his skin is dry or something is going on this way.
    I was thinking of using some oatmeal or aloe shampoo for him to see if that helps, but the only ones I can get are dog shampoos and though they are all natural not sure if they should or can be used on horses.

Any ideas are appreciated!
  • I've used different dog shampoos on my horses before just because that was all I had on hand.  Just make sure they are not medicated.  The flea/tick medicated ones should not be used on horses.

Have you tried something like MTG or even a general horse conditioner?  Mane & Tail has a conditioner I like - for my horses and my own hair and it can be used as a leave-in.
  • I would try usung a conditioner. I use Suave. I put about 1/2 in a spray bottle with 1/2 water. I spray it on before I brush and after I ride. It helps keep the hair shiny and Easter doesn't get as dusty. Good Luck.
  • I'm not much of a fan for a full MTG bath because the smell seems to attract bugs, but I might try that. I"ve tried regular horse conditioner that I have....didn't work.
    As for the dog shampoo, the ones I'd use are either t he EarthBath or Tropiclean. Both are all natural, so they shouldn't have any medicine in, but I'll read ingredients and find out.
  • Let us know if anything works.
  • [quote=SonnyWimps]

Anything I can use for a super dusty horse? Sonny is always dusty no matter how long I brush him and groom him. And I'm starting to wonder if maybe his skin is dry or something is going on this way.

When you can't give a bath this will help......When you groom curry like mad, then dandy brush, then finishing brush.  Take a new finishing brush and a damp sponge then brush one or two strokes on your horse then wipe the brush on the sponge.  Keep rotating the sponge so you are always wiping the dirty brush on a clean area of sponge.  You must keep the brush clean!  Rinse the sponge when there are no clean spots left.  When you have finished brushing, take a rub rag and mist with water then rub with the direction of the horse's coat.  Keep doing this and in one or two groomings you can get all that deep down dust out.

• i have the same issue my horse is always covered in dust no matter what i do, unless its right after i give him a bath. But, where i live the dirt is really fine and my horse has a really fine black and brown coat so the dirt sticks to him like magnets. someone told me a while ago to try babywipes...i havent bcuz everytime i go into town i forget lol