Quick Post

what do you think

what do you think
  • I have two mares that i am thinking for breding both paints,
    both mare are layed back and very sweet temperd.  i have one stud in mind he is a AQHA foundation breed cremello. i am open to different ides i would like to breed them to a solid stud.
    what kind of stallion would you request.
    Diesels little rocket

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/diesels+little+rocket

Inks rebel Cause

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inks+rebel+cause
  • Honestly?  I wouldn't breed either one.  They may be sweet tempered horses and great matches for you, but neither one screams breeding-quality to me other than flashy color.  And the color and flash should be the last decision used when it comes to breeding.  This is especially true right now with the economy so bad and so many unwanted horses out there. 

I mean seriously, I practically had to give my 4 year old paint gelding away and he had a phenomenal pedigree (zips chocolate chip & Dynamic Deluxe lines), decent conformation, great movements, outstanding temperment and was trained under saddle.  The stud fee for his breeding was higher than what I was able to get for him as a 4 year old and he was on the market for 9 months (thankfully he is in an outstanding home).  His main down fall was that he was a solid.  However, unless one of these girls is homozygous you can't guarantee that the foals you get won't be solid. 

Its cheaper to buy a foal with the color & conformation you want and raises then it would be to breed a mare.  In this market, if you breed right - a good quality stallion, proper vet care, etc - you will be spending more to get the foal on the ground than you will ever be able to make on the foal.
  • I am not looking for the quality i am maily thinking for temperment i have had a lot of people ask me if i know any one that has a horse for an elderily person. They want one that is layed back and not hot. they are looking for horses that can get up and go but will calm down when they are asked.
  • Quality and temperment both should be part of the package if you are going to breed.  A good tempered horse isn't going to do much good if it breaks down due to conformation issues.  And sorry to tell you - a horse with a temperment like you describe is not hard to come by - heck - I had 8 free ones offered to me this summer.  All of them were a jump on and go that anyone could ride.  Unfortunately I was cutting back myself due to job issues.  I just really hope you reconsider breeding right now and reconsider the importance of overall conformation. 
  • I have to agree completely with jungle_cat.  You can not breed for a foal that would cost you less than a horse already to go show or trail ride with the correct temperment.  You can not guarantee the temperment of a foal that is just a thought at this time!

There are many, many foals, weanlings, two, three, four, and five year olds that are going for less than their breeding fees.  And, the fact that some may have a desirable color may not even raise the price.  There are just way too many nice horses that need to find a home that it is not at all reasonable or sound thinking to breed for even more.  This includes in my opinion registered horses out of top performing sires and dams that have been there done that as well as the grade horses that are dearly loved and wonderful mounts!

• the reaon i want to breed these two is becuase i have am looking to keep the foals and not sell. I have a family member that wants a foal out of Diesel.  and i would like one out of ink. I had one foal that i bought and raised then at age 2 some one ended up killing him because they were mad at my cousin, so they took it out on me.
  • Even if you want to keep them - you can still find and buy exactly what you want in color, temperment, conformation, etc for much less than you could breed these two mares. 
  • i know the owner of the stud i plan to breed them too. She is willing to breed them for free as long as she gets a foal of of Diesel.
  • Don't forget to factor in vet fees, increased amount of feed to get mares through pregnancy & caring for the foals, and of course you need to make sure you keep extra money to the side incase anything does go wrong during the pregnancy or delivery.  Plus if your fields are anything like the ones here in KY (which I am sure they are since we are only 2 hours from Nashville) then you most likely have fescue and will have to get fescue-free hay for the last trimester and keep them out of the pastures.  Plus if you are giving up Diesel's foal - then you will be doing mare care & vet fees on 2 mares and will only get one foal out of it and it will be the lower quality foal as well.  Diesel's conformation is better than the other mares. 

Seriously - you can get decent foals for about $200-$500 through private sales and even cheaper through auction. 
  • my farm is in NY i am in nashville for school. i know about vet bills i have ponies that foal about every 3 years, ( i breed them and give them 2yrs off)
  • Jungle- I will try to find the link--- BUT a friend was at an auction in Minn. and watched TOP BRED paints foals and yearlings going for $50-$150 each.  Many owners let them go because they just didn't want to feed them.

IMHO- breeding in this market for personality alone is not feasible.  People wanting horses NOW for elderly riders will not want to wait 5-6 yrs for these babies to grow and mature.  It sounds like you have your mind made up.
  • Here is a horse YOU have 4-sale

Dandy is a very good boy. he is a great trail horse.He would make a nice lesson horse for some one. He could be you next pleasure horse. He has been show in 4H and has got all blues in the pleasure classes. He a a very nice halter horse. He is a walk trot horse.He gets along with other horses. He is a registed AQHA gelding. I have put about $3000 of traing in to this gelding. He MUST GO,i need the room for mares and faols and i need the money for Collage. He has been shown in barrels.He is in trining for the barrels and is coming along really nice. He would make a nice beginers show horse. his price will go up with the more training that is put in to him. He is husband safe. he is a todler safe horse also. He is a very good horse i just have to cut my heard size down. his lines are champion lines, he is a very sweet boy.
    asking $3500 neg

This horse sounds like he would be fine for an elderly rider, yet you state he needs to go for room for foals and college.  How much time will you have for these babies if you are in college?  I am not being mean here, just asking you to be realistic.
  • he is but i am getting rid of him because i am trying to get more mares, and the fact that my mom dose not like him any more she says he is to tall. he is great but my mom need something that is not as tall she rides ink but not often becuse she is my horse. She like horses that are layed back ones that she can take on the road for trail rides to a family mebers place so she can ride in the ring.
    now here is stuff on the 2 studs i am thinking of breeding 2
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/kiotesamachohunk

her are some picture of the other satllion he is peppy sanbagger bred

• It sounds like you have already made up your mind before you posted-- but you asked.
    I wouldn't be breeding any horses in this market--- there are lots of good horses already on the ground that need good homes.

• Do you have any conformation shots of those stallions?  From what I can see in those photos it looks like the only thing they have going for them is color.  BLEH.