Quick Post

Mare about to foal!!

Mare about to foal!!
  • My mare is due any day now. The vet had her due date as the 12th of March and I have her as the 16th. Her belly has moved back and dropped, filling out her flanks. Yesterday she let me push on her belly and the baby pushed back, it was so cool. Anyways, all the muscles in her back end have relaxed, but her udder hasn't filled much. The last time she had a baby, he started bagging a month before he had her. But this time she didn't. She let me milk her and she is producing colosrtum. I've been giving equidone which seems to have helped a little. But the oddest thing is she acts like she hasn't ate in weeks. She wolfs down her grain and grazes rather violently. She gets the biggest mouthful as fast as she can then wolfs it down and she the same way with hay. She's out on 26 acre's, gets grain daily, and as access to hay. The last time she had a baby she wasn't very interested in food so you can see my issue. Do some mares appetite increase when their ready to foal? Oh, and she's 21 yrs old and doesn't really hang out with the herd much anymore, I usually have to go find her in the pasture to bring her up for grain. Will someone please tell me what they think is going on?!
  • Congrats on the impending foal.  Is it an appy?  I'd say as long as she is keeping on weight, she's doing what she needs to do.  I remember being pregnant and at times feeling the need to eat like it was my last meal!  Not all horses bag up early.  Do you have somewhere you could keep her closer?  Are you letting her foal in the pasture?  Keep us updated!
  • Yes its an appy! She's not registered but there is no doubt in my mind that she's full appy. She has the short mane, striped hooves and mottled skin. She's a red roan w/ leopard spots and she's bred to a bay few spot. The few spot stud produced nothing but amazing color last year out of solid mares and a black few spot out of a red leopard. So I'm super excited. I moved her up into the paddock by the house early this afternoon. She has more bag today than yesterday and her left nipple has started to distend. I'm leaving her alone until she lays down to have the foal then I'm gonna be right there with her just in case there are any issues due to her age and to emprint the baby. I know she'll be ok with me being there, she's my baby girl. She'll do anything for me and wants to be with me. There's a 70% chance of snow tonight so I'm hoping she waits until after tonight to have her baby. If its a boy, he's gonna be gelded at a year and his registered name will be Gwynn's Eternal Sunshine, barn name will be Jupiter I think. If it's a filly, she'll still have a registered name as well even though she won't be able to be registered, it'll be the same.... And I think Jupiter as well.. I'll post pictures as soon as I can!

As so, she keeps her tail cocked out to the side and is suuuuper pissy. She's alot more irratable now than she's ever been and has totally thrown her perfect ground manners out the window.
  • Snow?  Here in southern Cal winter has finally given up and we went on a trail ride in t-shirts, the wildflowers and wild oats dancing in the breeze!

Used to raise appys and we have a really cute leopard spot pony-probably a POA, could register him hardship but don't want to do the POA circuit so saving my $.

Hope your mare waits!  We used to live in AK and our mare had her foal one night when it was 10 and as she licked the foal, the wet hair would freeze........  We used my dad's long-sleeved flannel shirts for blankies ':)'
  • How exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing baby pictures. My mare is due to foal in a few weeks.
  • Well, still no baby. She's 4 days over due and I'm starting to get worried. Any suggestions?
  • No need to worry at only 4 days over.  I have had mares carry a full year with no problems.  The classic signs are waxing at three days before, and dripping milk within 24 hours of foaling.  Is she soft at the tailhead?  Meaning: have the muscles relaxed. 

I have three foals due this year.  One the 28th of this month, but since she is a first-timer, she will probably be late.  The other two Quarter mares are due May 21 and 27th.  Those two will produce color as they are double dilutes (cremello and perlino). 
  • well, still no baby. But she's been dripping milk since yesterday. How much more longer will I have to wait??
  • I had a mare that always went a year and a day.  Drove me batty, but she was consistent.

If she's streaming milk it could be soon, as in next few days.  Watch for wax build up, enough so it forms like a stalagtite looking thing.  Then you should be within a 24 hr period. 

She may not wax up, or you may miss it because it breaks off before you see it. 

Check her vulva, it should be super relaxed and long.  If the flesh on her butt (either side of her tail head) is relaxed and squishy, not tight and firm, you are close. 

Good luck!
  • Well, I apparently didn't have to wait too long, Gwynn had her colt around noon today while everyone was at work. She just had to be different. He's a big healthy boy. Not sure as to what I'm going to name him but Prince is kinda stickin. He already loooves people. He lets everyone (small children included!) rub all over him. I'm in love already. Gwynn is doin good, she looks skinny but she just had a HUGE colt so she has the right to look skinny, but trust me, she is gonna get fat again within the next month or so. And she's bein a very good momma. If ya'll have any suggestions on names, feel free to throw them out there! I think his registered name is gonna be Gwynn's Eternal Sunshine..
  • Wow, what a little stunner he is!  What color do you think he will end up?  Leopards are born with their spots, right?  We have a dog named "Princeton,"   Your colt kind of looks like a Ghost or Spirit too ':)'  Gwynn's Ghost!  Congrats and glad to hear everything went fine.
  • Oooo a fewspot?I'll have to agree with Dana on both points. What a stunner and I like Ghost also!
    He looks like our Chica minus her little high heel looking stockings.
    Congratulations!
  • Thanks all! I'm not sure what he's gonna end lookin like once the baby fuzz sheds off. He has black spots and bay spots. He had his first encounter with water today. He was lovin gettin hosed down while his momma got a bath. It was sunny and 85 today. He learned that he can kick today lol. He was backin his butt up to everyone, mom included. It was funny. I think he likes me cause when I squat down and I'm face to face he starts nibblin on my nose and lickin my face. He gives me kisses already too. He is deffinantly gonna be my boy, that's for sure. I'm sooo in love. His name is Prince. His daddy's name is Going To Be Grand and his momma's name is Lady Gwynnivere, so he's practically royalty. As far as registered names go I can't decide between Gwynn's Eternal Sunshine or Gwynn's Eternal Starlight.
  • What a nice colt! Congratulations!