Quick Post

Mare is over due

Mare is over due
  • Hey all,

It's been a while since I have been here I have a question. My Blue Roan mare is 3 days over due she has a huge milk sack and is very heavy with foal and I am wondering if its her company?

She is in a 5-7 acre paddock with 3 other mares and 3 geldings while the pasture is being cut for hay.

Should I let her out into the hay pasture at night away from everyone else so she can have some alone time. She is still gonna back up to the paddock the other horses are in and the neighbors horses are right over the fence I am just wondering if she feels to clostrophobic to foal?

Comments or concerns??
  • A horse can be over due a week. But if they'r not comfortable or dont feel safe they wont have the foal. I would put her in by herself. Personaly i wouldnt want the new foal around other horses that could hurt it. Even if you can leave her in a stall when she waxes up would work. With turn out on her own.
  • Welcome back ':)'  We've had horses foal in with others and some don't care but some do.  A week over isn't much.  If you do put her in the other pasture, you might put her in with her best buddy so she doesn't stress about being separated.  What's the breeding on this baby?  How are the draft crosses you had last year?
  • Hey there Dana,

The freisan cross from last year is doing great we have someone making payments on her now and they hope to take her home soon. We had another colt last week by the same sire and dam and he came out bay, he is energetic and is really a good baby. We have been doing alot of riding in the saddle we purchased from you it's great.

I bought this blue roan mare in foal and she is a registered quarter horse with hancock and blue valentine breeding, The sire to the foal in question is a black blanketed appaloosa with huge spots on his rump. I have them both on my website- paintedtrailsappaloosas.com - feel free to take a gander. This mare is not really buddied with anyone so i will just turn out the other mare in foal.

Thanks alot all.

John
  • Pictures please!  I love Friesian crosses ':)'  Glad to hear the saddle is working out.  Finally sold or donated all of them except the huge one that fits my draft cross ':)'  Hubby had gone bid-happy at a tack auction!!
  •   Absolutely the enviroment a mare is in can dicatate when she will foal.  4 days overdue is no concern as gestation length can be very different from one mare to another.   2-3 weeks overdue is commonplace with some familylines and breeds.  She's a newish addition to the herd so probably isn't real settled or have much status with the others.  Get her out by herself.  Back when I had a mixed herd, I had a boarder who unbeknown to her had a mare in foal.  The mare (maiden) foaled out in the pasture.  2 of the geldings got the foal away from the mare and proceeded to chase, bite and kick at it while the mare could do nothing.  Thank goodness it was the middle of the day and 2 other boarders where out and managed to separate the horses.  I would also hold on putting the mare back with the others until the foal is at least a week old and you know how the others will respond to it.  Most will ignore it but some mares will try to steal the foal and the geldings might play too rough or try to kill it.
  • Thanks for all the responses. She is ettled well in the herd and has been the lead mare ever since she was put in. Her breeding date was the 27th of june so the vet said not to be concedrned unless she goes past next week. The vet says the baby is not in stress and niether is the mare, and that the foal has a strong heart beat so I am just playing the waiting game. I will post pics when she Foals.
  • I'm not seeing the snow cap or the blue roan. I love the leopard, though.  WOW!  How old is the filly you have for sale who cleared 5 feet at play?  She'd make someone a great hunter!
  • Hey all,

Well here we are on the weekend of the 12th and still no foal. Here is a pic taken today you can see she is very heavy in foal.

Hunterseat: The blue roan mare is on the mares page she is the main pic and the snowcap colt is still shedding out so he was not very pretty for pics just yet but they are coming. We sold the filly today she was a yearling but we have her full brother for $1000 and he will be ready to be weaned on the 5th of november and he is jumping just like she did I anticipate he will make a excellent hunter as well!
  • Thanks for the reply.  Congrats on selling the filly.

Is you vet concerned about your overdue baby?  I guess it's 10 days over now? I personally was 2 weeks over on both my babies. [':)']
  • Hey all,
    The baby is here!!!! On June 16th at about 5 am My blue roan mare "Belles Seminole Wind" Foaled a Filly Out of "Stars and Pride" she will be a registered Appaloosa and her name will be "Belles Pride in Blue" she is a blue roan filly with varnish over hips and 2 socks a star strip and snip. She was 15 days over due and the Filly is strong and healthy. Pics will notg post but I will get them up soon!

• Cool!  Can't wait to see her.  Glad everything went well ':)'
  • Shortly after noon today my filly laid down and became unersponsive, She passed away after a hour. The vet said the mother passed a infection in the milk and colostrum to the foal that caused her to pass away with 24 hours. It was caused by a fungus ingested by the mare and was common this year in mares in our area this year. I am deeply saddened by the loss of her and am treating the mare for the fungus. I will still post pictures of the foal when I can.
  • Ahhhh, I'm so sorry!  A friend lost her filly to something called Tyzzer's disease last year, some sort of infection from possums or something that gets them in the first 30 days.  Sigh....... my thoughts are with you.