Quick Post

what do you think

what do you think
  • I suppose, one could  ask:  What will the infusion of this quarter-horse blood do to improve the paint breed? Will the crossing of inferior specimens create the hybrid vitality that you are looking for? Have the mares ever been bred- do they know how to be good mothers? do you have the time it takes to bring the  foals up properly?
  • Both mares are good mothers. The black and white one is a nanny mare also. Yes i do have the thime to raise the foal up the right way. I have reaised many folas but only one was an AQHA. I worked with him every day he was imprinted at birth also. I had the colt where he woulsd let you put a pony saddle on him as a weenling. He was being led around the yeard with little kids on his back. Then as a two year old i was able to sit on him and go areound the pasture. He was a very good boy. He would have been one hell of a horse if some one didn't kill him on me

• After seeing everything you wrote on another forum - I see you are going to do what you want no matter what even if its not in the best interest of your family or horses.  There is no reasoning with you.  Good luck.  Its people like you that have made the FUGLY blog so popular.
  • I think neither mare has conformation qualities that shoudl be bred for.  And the buckskin stud looks like he has horrible conformation...maybe its the picture but I'm not so hot about him. Plus, your horses look dirty.  I would focus ont he ones you already have and stop breeding. THere are too many horses in the world that need homes.
  • I really miss that popcorn smiley. 
    You guys are great!
  • [quote=nybarrelracer]

I am not looking for the quality

Here's a line you don't often hear from breeders.  rofl

• Don't breed those mares. If someone wants a laid back horse to ride, why the heck would you start now and breed a colt? Buy a horse that is what she's looking for. It's cheaper and most likely to turn out well.

the cremello is pretty, though.

But if your mom is looking for a laid back gentle horse, buy her a laid back gentle horse she can ride now. Not one that might, or might not, turn out to be one in 5 years and in the meantime has conformation faults.
  • This is kinda funny. This girl lives in my neighborhood. Her horses are always dirty even when they are being rode. She breeds her ponies every year, and every foal has had something wrong with it. She doesnt look at quality, conformation, temperment or anything she just breeds because she can breed.

• I don't want to be a negative Nancy, I understand that you want to breed your mares because they are yours.  There is sentimental value in what you want to do (if not common sense).  I understand the desire to look at all the stallions out there and get to choose the one you like the best to sire your new foals.  But I am the cautionary tale that I hope will cause you to think twice. 

I have 1 mare.  She is my special horse.  She hasn't won any shows but her conformation is far from horrible.  I wanted to have a Paint foal from her so I chose a great stallion who has a successful show career and multiple championship titles in reining, working cow horse, and many other events.  To top it all off he is homozygous so I KNEW I would get a tobiano paint foal.  I did everything right.  But the foal was born with contracted tendons, which progressed to flexure deformities of both front legs.  Some people on this board are familiar with Ace's story.  We trailered him to OSU for 4 surgeries and he is now a 2 year old that still has to wear special shoes.  It was never life threatening so we never considered euthanasia, but I will tell you we were not financially or emotionally prepared for the months of treatment, surgeries, and ongoing recovery.  He will never be able to perform the way I had hoped he would when I bred him.  Because he will likely have recurring issues with his knees I am his forever home.  He MIGHT be approved for light riding eventually, but will never be the cutting or reining horse I dreamed of. 

Sure, you may breed two lovely healthy foals, but please consider if you are capable of handling the circumstances if something goes wrong.  So MUCH can go wrong I don't even know where to begin.  Complications that might cause you to lose the mare, the baby, or even both.  Breach or red bag deliveries, twins, foal septicemia, dummy foal syndrome.  None of these are terribly uncommon and all could happen to you if you breed your mares.

PLEASE consider finding a healthy foal to adopt and raise.  Believe me, it could save you so much heartache and a TON of money too.

ETA: Just saw the date of the original post, my guess is that the damage has probably already been done and my advice is too late for her to read or consider...