Quick Post

horse bedding

horse bedding
  • whats the most popular stuff out there?...why?

shavings are the way to go from what i have heard. how does each horse tipically go through?...how much does it cost packaged?

no walnut and de-dusted is a must...right?

any feedback would be greatly appriciated

thanks
  • I think it depends on where you live and what's availible. 
    At the university they used shavings... i think pine.  Each stall took 1-2 wheelbarrows full depending on how messy the horse was. 
    Sorry, I can't tell you how much they cost.  I know they were discussing switching to sunflower hulls because they are readily availible in our area and they would be cheaper.  I'm not sure what they decided to do though.
  • [quote=msb080]

whats the most popular stuff out there?...why?

shavings are the way to go from what i have heard. how does each horse tipically go through?...how much does it cost packaged?

no walnut and de-dusted is a must...right?

any feedback would be greatly appriciated

thanks
    [/quote=msb080]

Pellets and shavings/sawdust are the most popular.

I use shavings and for me they cost right around $5 a bag.  One of my horses only goes through about a bag a week (I try to keep a total of 2 in there) and the other goes through 2 if not more (he&nbsp';p'ees a ton, EVERYWHERE)

Some horses have issues with different types of shavings.  You usually want as little dust as possible.

I have tried the pellets and HATED THEM!!!! So did my horses. 

• When I lived in WA state, most people used straw.  Here in CA most people seem to use shavings you can buy in plastic wrapped bales, 2 would cover the average stall.  At the San Luis Rey race track/training facility, they use straw, very clean as they are fastidious about dust in their horse's lungs.
  • I used to use straw a lot growing up in Va.  NOW, my goofy horses here.... I thought I'd put a nice bed down for them and they stood around chewing until they had eaten every bit.... heads hung low like they were being punished by being fed some kind of tasteless hay.   That was it for THEM and straw!!  Mostly shavings around here.   If you can get some in a trailer and keep them dry, loose is usually cheaper than bagged.
  • [quote=hunterseat]

I used to use straw a lot growing up in Va.  NOW, my goofy horses here.... I thought I'd put a nice bed down for them and they stood around chewing until they had eaten every bit.... heads hung low like they were being punished by being fed some kind of tasteless hay.   That was it for THEM and straw!!  Mostly shavings around here.   If you can get some in a trailer and keep them dry, loose is usually cheaper than bagged.

Now that's just funny.  I can even picture the look on their faces.  Thanks for the laugh hunterseat.
  •    My horse is allergic to sawdust, so I use straw.  It is alot harder to handle and it doesn't absorb as much.  But if you want something not as dusty use straw.  The horses will eat the straw if they are very board or hungry. Hope this helps.
  • I choose straw.  At $3./bale, it is cheaper than shavings and I think the stalls look nicer.  There is just something about a well bedded stall that looks good to me.  With shavings, they pee once, walk through it, and the bed looks dirty. &nbsp';P'lus, I feed my hay off the floor and worry that the shavings are too close to their food.

I think it all boils down to personal preference and availability.
  •  I use a mixture of shavings and pellets.The shavings keep it fluffy and the pellets keep the pee in one spot and the poo a little drier so it doesnt mush up as easily and stick to my horse.Salem is quite a pig though and if you have good stall cleaning skills with a not so messy horse shavings would be fine. I know around here in Michigan we pay about 5-6 bucks for a bag of shavings and same for pellets. Around 2 or 3 bags a week keeps most horses comfotable.