Quick Post

What to look for when buyin an untrained horse

What to look for when buyin an untrained horse
  • ok i am going to look at a few horses in a couple days and i want to know how to approach the owner, what to look for in a nice untrained horse.
    i dont want to here that since im posting this i obviosly dont know enough about horses and that i need to go work closely around horses for years and years.
    i am only asking because this is my first time actually going out to see the horse, other people have always bought them for me. and since the horse is wild i want to know the steps to take /what excatly to look at etc in an untrained horse
    thanks 
    chloe
  • If the horse isn't trained yet, I would first start by looking for a horse that would potentially suit my needs conformation, health and breed-wise.  Start with a horse that is healthy and built to do what you want.  Then I would go with past experiences and age.  I would NOT be interested in a horse that has aggressive tendencies, is older than 5, hasn't had any handling or has baggage from past handling.  By untrained do you mean wild or hasn't been ridden?  I've also learned that it is much easier to train a horse that is a little fearful over one that has been spoiled and has no respect.

Ask all kinds of questions about how the horse has been handled, how it is with the vet, farrier, trailering, bathing, clipping, around other horses, what it requires feed-wise, what it's personality is like (friendly, fearful, aggressive, pushy, spooky, energetic, etc.)  If they have the horse's parents, ask about them because that will give you an idea what this horse should turn out like.

Goodluck!