Quick Post

ROD! Question(s)

ROD! Question(s)
  • I had the harness out - it's new.  I was doing pretty well figuring it out.  Zag was being really patient, bless him.   BUT there are some questions I have.  I did a video but have to find my cable to download.  I'll show you what harness....

http://www.horse.com/item/tough-1-herculean-nylon-driving-harness/BOT75/
  • So you see, it's shown on a plastic horse.  I'm thinking if I had a plastic horse I'd have it whipped!  As it stands, there's no bit in the picture. 

Question 1.  Does this rig work without a bit? The cheek straps hook to the nose band but can go through the nose band slots and hook to a bit....   

BECAUSE that leads into question 2:  There are two straps that run together, into the poll strap and back towards the.... what's that big thing that the reins go through?  Like a curcingle?  Anyway, the two straps IN THE CATALOG PICTURE seem to run under the blinkers and hook to the reins.  That's a big mystery to me because Zag's eyes are under the blinkers and those straps just won't work there.  Which begs to ask:  Where the heck to those straps go???  They come down his forehead towards his nose! 

I think those questions are the main questions.  OH, the curcingle thing has a cinch thing that goes under.  Two straps on each side of the cinch, two buckles on each side of the curcingle. Even I can figure that out.  One tightens down the curcingle thing and the other is pretty loose.  So the long strap of the *** collar strap goes between those? 

AND on the bottom of the curcingle are two MORE straps which are loops and they hang down as if they expect something to be done with them..... 

DOES ANY OF THIS EVEN MAKE SENSE???

• I am not Rod, but I have a lot of years harnessing Standardbreds.

You need two bits.  A driving bit attached to the bottom of the cheek pieces, and the driving lines.  An overcheck bit attached to the overcheck strap (the one that rather looks like a "Y")  The overcheck hooks to the water hook on the backpad...the bent tee shaped thing in the middle of what you are calling a circingle.   You can hook the driving reins to the driving bit and hook the overcheck straps there, too, but I never have.   The straps that are on the girth go around the shaft on each side of the horse and buckle back into themselves making a channel for the tugs which run from the *** collar to the inside of the shafts  where they hook.(another bent tee shape).  Standardbreds do not use britchens, so you are on your own with them.  
    It would help you if you would go to a Standardbred site and look at how the horses are harnessed.  If you can't find one, I can email you some pictures.

Have fun.
  • I'm going to pretend he's just a horse and try to make this harness work with him.  Thankfully he's not really just a horse.  He IS a Stb which makes him SOOO wonderful!!  (and patient and sane)  I'll get back out there....  I'm not sure where the overcheck bit sits (he's supposed to have two bits in his mouth?) nor where to route those y straps.
  • yes, both bits in the mouth.  The overcheck straps go through a keeper which should be in the crown of the bridle.  You can snap the overcheck strap to the waterhook when you are driving, or snap it back into the bit when you are not.  Usually there is a snap on the end of the overcheck since the leather 'eye' that comes on them is not very handy if you want to hook back to the bit.  The nose piece in the picture looks odd to me.  Usually, on a Standardbred bridle, you have a cavesson (we call them head halters).  They serve to keep the mouth shut or to hook a head pole to....you should not need to worry about head poles with your boy.  You are going to have fun.
  • Okay, but the overcheck straps come down between...his...eyes...and...go where? Or do they go a-ROUND his eyes?  or through his ears or..... up his nose???  [':)']
  • can I just use one bit and snap reins AND overcheck strap to it? 
  • sure can, and yes, the overcheck "y" strap comes down between the eyes and buckles (or snaps) to the bit.
  • Seems like I'd have to cross it.  Otherwise they hit right on the blinkers.  So they'd be routed on top of the blinkers not under where the eye is?