Quick Post

Drove yesterday

Drove yesterday
  • Hitched the horse to the forecart and took a little drive around the farm yesterday.  It was a nice cool sunny morning.

Tomorrow I am taking the team over to an Amish friend and rake hay for him.  That will give them some good excersize which they need.  They are way too fat.  May leave them there through the haying season to get a little more work.
  • Had a great day raking hay at my amish friend's place today.  Raked from about 9 AM untill 4 PM with a couple hours out at noon to rest the girls.  They are overweight and out of shape but held up well.  Must have done 15 to 20 acres.  Had a GREAT amish dinner!!!!!  It was worth the work.  Going back Saturday morning again.

The wife is a little skinny thing and due to birth today.  She was running around getting dinner ready.
  • That sounds like a great day!  (a couple of great days)  You'll have to show us before and after shots of your chunky haffies! 

I love Amish food!  They are wonderful cooks.  Are there any Amish women who don't cook well?
  • I suppose there are some that can't.  Luckily I haven't run into one yet!!!
  • Hahaha!  Wonder if they're put through remedial cooking classes?  I bet that would be hard on someone.  BUT they have great teachers and start the girls young in home making skills, which is awesome as far as I'm concerned!!  I've almost been inspired to try making bread... not done so well in the past.  I even bought some yeast!  (I do that every year or so and nothing ever comes of it!
  • Tis the season for fat haffies!  I'm still fishing around trying to find a rib or something on my boy - all I can feel is fat.  LOL.  More rides for Toby.

Sounds like you had a great day.  My vet used to have a team of haffies he raked hay and such with.  I would love to get Toby under harness one day and use him to drive a cart around.
  • On the ride yesterday my riding friend said she is really getting the urge for a haffie.  I thought "uh oh"!  [':D']  I also told her, though they are short, they are never considered ponies.  Right, j_c?  Am I learning?
  • LOL - you got it.  Per the registry and their founding country - they are to be considered "horses". 

[:-]Though that doesn't prevent me from calling Toby a pony!
  • What is black and blue and crawls on the floor?

The last person that called my Haflingers ponies!!!
  • ROFL!!!  GOOD one Rod!  So we all need to remember that! 
  • Ponies?  No, most Haflingers I've seen are around fifteen hands or so.  Some look like Belgians that were washed in hot water and put in the dryer.    Just a touch too draftish looking for me.  Gotta love the temprament though.   To each their own.

Rod, how about a few pictures of your kids working?  I realize it's almost been a year since you started this thread, however, we're moving up to the same time of year!