Quick Post

Harness window shopping

Harness window shopping
  • Big D's has this one:http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=7426
    I'm thinking of yellow since it would match my cart.  Not my favorite color for a horse but I do love my cart!  It won't be that often, I don't think...  I know I can paint the cart but I'm not seeing that happening any time soon!
  • I guess that's more for racing.  Here's one that's cheaper:

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=11874
  • You could get a nice leather driving harness from one of my amish harness maker friends for around $200 (collar extra) I think.  I could get a price and if you send the money they will send the harness.  Good quality just like they use themselves.
  • I'm so paranoid about that much leather.  I'm hit and miss about keeping it nice.  I'm afraid I'd mess it up.....  Okay, talk me out of webbed or bio...
  • Nylon is fine, I have nylon.  Just thought with a fancy cart like that and maybe showing or something, that you would like leather.  They make nylon too and it is cheaper.  Are you interested in a collar or *** strap harness?
  • Im with Rod.  At least with the amish, you can send measurements of Zag and have a nice fitting harness.  That first one you posted is for a racing cart.  you dont have that.  If you get the beta harness (bio, but not shiney) it looks just like leather.  you gotta touch it to tell the differance.  Look at any of my team pics and you will see what I mean. 

Rod, will you send me that contact info?  I got a friend over in Sauk that lost his barn and I just now found out that he lost ALL of his harnesses and everything!  Im pondering sending him my harness to use until he gets his own (he has belgians) but I havent talked it over with Brent yet. 
  • It's going to be crappy rainy weather for the next few days.  A good excuse to take a trip to the amish!!  I will get his address for you and some ballpark prices. 

I think the dull bio harness is good.  I just don't like that shiny stuff!! 
  • Thanks Rod!  The shiney bio is OK for show harness, but of course you DONT want to have shiney lines.  They are slicker than greased lightening! 
  • Talked to the local harness maker.  He milks goats and make harness.  He wouldn't be a quick to get a harnss out as the ones about 20 miles north of me.  I did get his prices though and I don't suppose they would be much different from the other ones.  I will get the info one the other ones in the next week or so.

Single driving harness, standardbred size,
    leather $450
    Bioplastic $400
    Nylon $325

His supplier does not recommend the bio like they use for lines for making harness.

This is for either a collar or *** style.  Collar would be extra.
  • I don't think I'd need a collar, do you? 
  • Not with just a cart and two people in it.  Collar is for hilly country with bigger loads. 
  • I had to smile about the showing comment.  I wouldn't know the first thing!  Never occurred to me!  But who knows?  You've planted a seed! [':)']
  • Rod, thank you SO much for the info.  It will be a little while before I get the harness but I trust your recommendation.  Still need to measure him - STILL!  I wonder what the Amish use on their own horses.  Probably a collar.  It's not hilly here at all and it will probably be just me in the cart but wouldn't  it be nice to have if someone said "try this cart out for size!" and offered us a bigger cart!  ':)']