Quick Post

Any mustangs out there?

Any mustangs out there?
  • I have a blue eyed, cremello colt outta a BLM mare.  Whether or not she came off the range pregnant by another mustang or was impregnated by a QH at the ranch she was at is uncertain, the lady I bought Boo! from got her pregnant and no one knew by whom.

The paperwork on her didn't say she was pregnant.  So I figger he is half mustang and half Quarter horse, unless she was just pregnant when they nabbed her.  She was a pretty little buckskin, btw. 

Anyone else have mustangs, or any feral or wild descendant horses? 

He was a rescue, the lady I got him from had fallen on hard times.  The first pic is of him when he first got here last summer.  The second pic is him about 2 months later.  The last pic is a recent one of him, tho not in color.  He is small, but VERY agile, and level headed.
  • Dangit, here is the pics....[&:]
  • I don't have mine anymore.  I adopted 2 at the same time - the big black boy that I wanted & then a cute little bay that the BLM let me adopt at 1/2 price.  The black one was named Dante and was a sweet as could be.  He gentled down very easily.  Unfortunately he coliced really bad and even with the vet out - we lost him the next morning.  We only had him a little over 2 months. 

The little bay I had for over 2 years.  It took me 2 years to get Bandit as far as I was with Dante in 2 months.  He was a wild little man and he did NOT want to be domesticated.  He is now in a new home and last I heard they were going to start saddle work soon. 

• I am so sorry to hear about your black mustang, Jungle Cat.  He was a real beauty.  Interestingly enuff, most mustangs don't die of colic, whereas most domesticated horses do.  Grain is unnatural to them.  I started Boo!  on his diet very slowly, cuz he had been on a small pasture when I got him, and had never had grain.  I started with handfuls about 5 times a day, now he is fed 3 times a day.  The bay reminds me of a beach pony I had, she did NOT wanna domesticate......
    But she had places on her face from an ingrown halter that made permanent scars, tho, as well, so she had her reasons.
  • Dante's "colic" was more colic + neuro going on at the same time.  I really, really wish I could have gotten a necropsy done on him but my vet could have done a quick "in field" necropsy which wouldn't have been as complete and he would have been sitting in my yard opened like that for over 24 hours waiting for the renderer to pick him up - so would of attracted who knows what.  My other option was getting him in a trailer & hauling him almost 2 hours to the university - but with no trailer at the time - that was impossible.  Overall, my vet said he hadn't seen anything quite like it, but had offered a couple suggestions as to what it might be.

We spent all night with him & he went from lethargic and absolutely no gut sounds to having gut sounds again.  The vet had given him oil and shots.  I don't remember what all he did - it was a blur.  In the morning I had grabbed a bit of sleep and went back out about 5 am and found him standing with ears perked and looking more his old self.  He even greeted me when I walked in the door.  But then he started staggering again and stumbling and slamming into the stall walls.  I was helpless because I couldn't get in there he was flayling about so much.  It was actually falling and hitting the back of his head on the stall wall that killed him.  He went down and never got up. 

Wow - ingrown halter?  I just don't understand how people can do that to horses. 
  • Hmm, that does sound bad.  Our gelding was staggering and stuff like that when he got red maple leaf poisoning, we almost lost him that year.  He started goin downhill after that, too.  He became a 'hard keeper'.

Yeah, it was pretty bad.  I could tell they put the halter on her when she was younger, and she had outgrown it but it had made dents in her jawbone.  It was bad.  People shudda been shot.[:@]
  • I personally don't have a mustang but my best friend does. He's a 14 yr old cremello with blue eyes named Dakota. He was caught off the range as a colt off of is mother he has the brand and everything. Sad thing is poor Dakota is going blind he can't see a thing right now.
  • I have 4 Mustangs and work with two others.  They are simply incredible horses!  I can't wait to adopt more.  ':-)' 
  • My friend has 8 Spanish Mustangs (not the same as the BLMs).  I help her with them when I can.  I don't think they're the breed for me but they are nice horses with beautiful movement and extremely versatile.
  • we have a kiger mustang mare
  • i was seriously considering adopting one a while back but i wouldnt have the time to give him/her, and i have no where to ride or train so im kinda stuck but when i do finally have the time to build myself an arena i will definatly see about adopting one or two maybe[':)']
  •  I had a mustang here for training for a while.  He was an amazing horse.  He was definately different from what I was used to, he had a lot of trouble before he came here but did great with us.  Very smart and sensible, did not tolerate any weakness from people or horses.  When he was sent back to his owners, he was fine, but they were still scared of him.  I recently heard that he has been passed around through 3 homes in the past 6 months, mainly people trying to cowboy him and writing him off as "stupid".  I would really like to just bring him back here, I know he would fall right back into training again.

There were recently 27 mustangs found abandoned just south of Lake Okeechobee.  Its a tough situation.
  • I am buying my 3rd Mustang they are so wonderful. they seem to choose their owner at times.

• We had one that we rescued from the backyard of a foreclosed home.  Poor thing was starving.... He totally panicked in the trailer the first time but when we trailered him to his new home, he was calm after 6 mos. of being fed right and treated right.  Are you getting a BLM or one from someone else?  A friend of ours has one now that looks very Spanish, about 16 hds, palomino with some draft.  Gorgeous horse!