Quick Post

Donkeys and Farriers

Donkeys and Farriers
  • Does anyone else have problems with their donkeys not wanting a pedicure? LOL

Our little Jenny absolutely fights to the death with our farrier.  She'll let my husband and I pick up her hooves and mess with them but when the farrier comes, the battle is on.  Any tips or tricks to get her to stop fighting it?  He's a wonderful farrier, very patient and gentle, so I don't think it's him personally that bothers her, just what he's trying to do. LOL
  • My donkey is horrid with his hooves.  It takes lots of patience and I rasp them down as he lets me.  We are getting better with the fronts, but he still does not like his backs picked up long.  Forget a farrier - he would have 13 hands of hoof in his face.
  • The problem is he hasn't built a trust with your donkey.  The donkey lets you and your husband because it knows that you aren't going to hurt it. But the farrier, everytime this person shows up he's grabbing it's feet. Have you tried feeding treats while he works on the feet ? Sometimes distracting them helps. [&:]
  • Luckily Daisy really likes my farrier - I think it helps that its a female, but she's just as good when her husband comes out too. Both of them are very patient, they own donkeys also.

we scratch ears alot when we want her to relax.
  • Our farrier is due next Friday and usually my husband stays home for it, but this time I'm going to stay home and try my luck with donkey.  She really loves me and trusts me so maybe she'll be calmer if I'm there.  I just hate for it to be such an ordeal for her all the time, but she has to have her hooves done, it's not negotiable. LOL
  • [quote=RosieRox]

Our farrier is due next Friday and usually my husband stays home for it, but this time I'm going to stay home and try my luck with donkey.  She really loves me and trusts me so maybe she'll be calmer if I'm there.  I just hate for it to be such an ordeal for her all the time, but she has to have her hooves done, it's not negotiable. LOL

on alot of donkey's that have a 'hard' time during trimming need to be scotch hobbled. I have vids of it on youtube ( just search my user name) that is most likely the safest way for the donkey to get trimmed, and to know that its all 'business' and there isn't much to fuss about.  The two animals on my vids had to be scotch hobbled, but then after trimming the farrier was able to work with the hooves & help them be ok with the 'new' person back there touching around.

dont forget, lots of ear scratching and love during the process, relax her as much as you can.  Clicker training also works great for this ':)'

good luck

after one or two sessions with the ropes, as soon as they act up you usually only have to lay that rope on their backs and they think 'aw man, they mean business, FINE, trim away'

here's the link to part one of six ':)'
    how to trim a difficult donkey