Quick Post

Sally Mule Under Saddle!

Sally Mule Under Saddle!
  • I haven't been around here much lately - things just too busy this time of year for goofing off on the Net; but some of you may remember Sally Mule from last fall. My husband and I picked her up for $400 in October and have been absolutely in love with her ever since. We put a solid 30 days of groundwork on up to her first ride just before the winter weather hit, then ponied her along everywhere the horses went just to get her out into the world. We kept saying that we;d start her training again in the spring... then spring went by. And then I was waiting for my husband to start working with me on training her (we used a team approach the first time round and it worked well) but we've been working opposite shifts - he falls timber in the day and I work as a nurse at night - and so more time went by. SO I bit the bullet and committed to working with her every day. We moved on through the groundwork but I hit a wall with the snaffle bit. So I put a flat-nose hackamore on her (and also worked through some issues with bridling her) and started ground driving her. She took to that like a fish to water. Then I started getting on her back again and this time she was able to make the connection between moving her quarters off my legs and flexing/ moving her forehand off the reins. Also got a nice whoa and back up on her. Finally we moved into a combination bit with a snaffle mouthpiece and rope nose hackamore and curb chain to it, no shanks, and she has transitioned beautifully. Yesterday was our first ride outside of the roundpen, and it went pretty much without a hitch. Now we just need miles and wet saddle blankets! Pictures to follow.....
  • So Sally is 16.3 hands! But she has a very sweet, mellow disposition and has never once done anything 'bad'. As green as she was, she has moved through every hangup we've found and always been respectful and willing to please. Of course she is smart as a whip and capitalized on any 'holes' she finds in the training process, but also has given due respect when I find a way to close those holes, then she moves on.  groundwork - I spend a lot of time working over the nuts and bolts. Dropping her head has been a big one, and is now an easy thing for her to fall back on when we are working on harder more frustrating things   I have also spent a lot of time doing gait transitions in the roundpen, giving her the same cues I will eventually give her under saddle
  • Brain bucket! Not my favorite fashion statement.... but 16.3 is a long way up! And Sally stands very, very still for this part:  flexing....  And anything worth doing ,is worth doing again. Off, and then back on the mule!  Lateral movement. She will do slightly sloppy circles on the haunch and on the forehand; leg on the shoulder moves shoulder over and leg on flank moves flank over. its a start. We are working up to complete lateral movement on the ground and will transfer it to under saddle pretty soon.  A nice pause after the ;whoa; and back up  outside the round pen for the first time! Flexing and circles in front of the barn...  out in the open. My posture looks a little funny because I am over-emphasizing things still, and also finding my seat on such a big animal.    smiles all around!
  • Not only is she doing great, but she is also looking great.  You are doing a wonderful job with her.  I am glad you shared.
  • She's lovely! [':)'] What a great job you're doing with her. You two look great together!! She's a great height! had no idea they got so big!
  • She's out of a Belgian draft mare.... we call her "Long, Tall Sally'. My goal now is to have her ready for elk camp in September. We are taking 2 weeks to pack into Hells Canyon, she needs to be able to ride, pack, be ponied off of, and mind her manners in a pack string. I pretty much have exactly 30 days left to get her there. I have only given her 1 day off in the last 2 weeks because Mom (me) was tired and it was 98* outside. People say that mules are hard to train and dangerous, etc. But Sally has been easier than the horses I have known. If you are honest with her, and don't punish her when she is confused (but be fast with a reprimand when she is being disrespectful) then Sally will do everything you ask. Most of the problems I have had were with her doing just that - it was how I was asking her that caused the confusion and brought out different results than I expected. I spend a lot of time stepping beyond 'the box' to think through a problem and then try a new approach. Sometimes things take a little longer for her to 'get' but she NEVER loses it once she has it. I started up her groundwork awhile back then took 3 weeks off due to some stressful life events, but when I put her back to work she was bored with the first day's review and ready to move forward into something new.
  • What a super animal she is! Hate to bring up the "P" name but... Parelli got his start training mules, as everyone probably knows. There's a great video of him riding a mule around an arena, jumping and doing other cool things with "no hands no feet" - well, no saddle anyway. Seems they're just different and if you treat them like a horse it could backfire? I guess that's what you pretty much already said.

I'm SO in awe of the whole elk camp experience. I hope it all goes well and you actually get a moose this year! You'll have the girl to bring it out for you!! [':D']
  • roflmbo!  ELK!!!  I hope you get an elk! *smacks self in head*
  • She's looking great!  Reminds me of my big guy who has been the easiest to train of any I've ever had except my little Quarab in high school ':)'

Head lowering is really important, especially with the big ones, huh ':)'

She's probably as wide as the Haffie mares, huh?

Thanks for sharing all the pictures and the process and hope things are going better for you personally ':)'
  • Thanks, DS! She is quite wide, I am using my Haflinger Peach's saddle on her. But the fit is a bit off, a hair snug behind the shoulder then a bit wide over the barrel. I just tried the Ortho Sport pad under it today and it helps even things out a bit. That pad has come in handy so many times, I need to get another one so I can have 2. Lets put it this way: NONE of our horses just 'fits' a saddle. And we have saddles of every make and width! Its all about the right combo of saddle and pad together. Things are going much better in life right now, we just have to get through a few rough spots every now and then to keep our blessings counted.
  • Things are going much better in life right now, we just have to get through a few rough spots every now and then to keep our blessings counted.

Love this attitude/reminder.

• AWSOME! 
    Love the brain bucket. I never get on without mine. 
    Fashion, smashion, It isn't worth the risk. 

• When my hubby was in the hospital with his horse-related head injury, once he was feeling better he started researching horse-related injuries and found that it isn't the speed with which you fall, it's the height that gets you so you are right to slap on that helmet ':)'  If that is really true, I'm in trouble with an 18 hd. horse!  I always wear my brain bucket though and it has saved my noggin many a time.......
  • But falling head first onto rock or asphalt is gonna hurt no matter how small your horse! [':)'] (kisses to Cody)
  • Very true!  (Cody gives a slobbery hug back)