Quick Post

Meet Sally!

Meet Sally!
  • I guess the proper place for my mule thread would have been here..... So I will link ithttp://forum.horse.com/tm.aspx?m=27350 And keep my updates on Sally here. This is what I THINK about her so far, but don't know for sure. She was handled properly at a young age. Obviously came from somebody who knew mules well, but then got passed on to people who didn't. She is supposedly 5 years old right now. Was picked up with a string of mules in April, the owner is keeping the smaller ones and had her and her big buddy up for sale. All the mules shared the same brand (stacked S) and she is said to be sired by a Mammoth Jack named Black Jack (that's an original, eh?) and out of a large foundation QH mare. The folks we bought her from did not do much with her, and her hooves look like they have not been trimmed since April. But she was willing to do groundwork with my husband, a total stranger. Moves off of light rope pressure. Leads quite well - a little on top of you (probably a security thing) but backs off with light signals. She was willing to leave her buddies behind - obviously very cautious, but willing - and load up into our horse trailer with far fewer problems than I have seen with regular horses and a straight load trailer. She is reserved, not completely comfortable, with people in her space (front and back is OK, flanks are not). She doesn't mind having her ears handled. Will pick up a foot if asked but is not comfortable with us keeping it, yet. I think most of this is trust and can be worked through within a week or two of handling. She will honk at my husband and I allready when she sees us. Wants to be engaged. We're starting with baby steps - daily handling, grooming, a little lead work rope - not pushing, just asking, to follow our lead, check things out around the farm; but being firm about having our space respected.
  • Love the first picture.  She has a sweet face and a beautiful eye.  If looks can be equated with good, you have a good one here.
  • Traced her brand back to her original owner, they do remember her, her name there was 'Mayberry," she was born in May 2006 out of Belgian mare (not a Foundation QH!) She is definitely BIG enough to be Belgian, has such a pretty head - got lucky in that department. She was imprint trained and handled 'quite a bit' as a foal and yearling.... The rest of the story is for us to tell from here. >I worked with her yesterday, not really pushing the envelope too hard. Mostly grooming, deseneitization, and keeping her engaged with me (no halter or lead). Whenever she'd walk away from me, I turned my back, walked a few steps away from her and stood with my back turned until she came back to me. >I put the halter on - no problem - and led her around, she had to sniff EVERYTHING and still has a tendency to get right up on me if I am not paying attention. >My husband worked her on the lunge line yesterday evening, cut to the chase and made her work. He said she turned her butt to him ONCE and raised up a hip like she was thinking about kicking and he popped the whip on that butt pretty hard, she didn't think about it again and learned to face up to him with her head, licking and chewing. >He was able to have her give him both front feet so he could pick them out and tap on them. He was able to pick up each hind but not hold either for very long. Its and improvement and I am sure by tonight she will be letting him hold the hinds
  • That's so nice you were able to trace her back to her original owner and discover her background, good to know.  I like the name they gave her, Mayberry is cute!
  • Oh a Belgium!!  You can nearly see the coloring!  I love these pictures.  She seems to be thinking "it's about time I found someone who speaks mule!"
  • I knew there was some draft in there somewhere!!!!  She is too cool ':)'
  • Mule meets ponies. Turned Sally out with the Haflingers in the lower pasture this morning. Her first day of freedom. 'The Girls' had been in the barn all night, so they were ready for breakfast. It was very anticlimatic.......
  • Anticlimactic is always good in those situations. [';)']
    Beautiful place!
  • Been working on those feet.... got the fronts trimmed, after a lot of go-round and drama. Got the backs up and out behind her but not trimmed yet, just cleaned up with the hoof knife. It was enough pushing her for one day to get those fronts done.
  • Pretty feet!  [':D']  Good job wrastling her! 
  • Sally's beautifull! I agree Mayberry is a cute name though.. I just got a five year old percheron mare who I want to breed to a mammoth jack this comming spring so I can get my draft mule in 2013! She came with the name lady.. we have had a lady.. my other half calls her Ladybird (like the dog on king of the hill) I then called her birdie the other day I guess they sometimes take on their own ':)' Any how I just have to admire a good looking draft mule when I see one! Are you planning on having her as a riding mule? What ever you do with her I know you'll enjoy her again shes a nice looking mule congrads on the new addition
  • We are focusing on training Sally to be a saddle mule. She has a ways to go but she is very sweet, she is incredibly laid back and when she over-reacts during our groundwork sessions she will always come back, even when she has pulled away and run off she turns around and comes right back. We have been working on desensitization and feet; she is OK with being touched anywhere on her body but doesn't like giving her hind feet up, and things like plastic make her jump a bit. Nothing unusual for a green animal, just lots of baby steps along the way which will build trust and respect.
  • She's beautiful!! sounds like she's coming along well!