Quick Post

Daisy's first ride in the open!

Daisy's first ride in the open!
  • Took Daisy on a ride in the open! I figured going someplace might give her more purpose to a ride. She did fantastic!! not much donkey glue! LOL she was walking out nice & seemed to be having a good time. She didn't seem like she had any problems carrying me. Kept it short, probably only ten minutes, I think she got a pretty good work out though!

so here's some pics! of my awesome donk!!

the horses were very interested in what was going on!

• Now, THAT is just tooooo cute.
    How big of a person can ride a donkey (normal donkey size) with the donkey being comfortable with their weight?
  • [quote=Impdreams]

Now, THAT is just tooooo cute.
    How big of a person can ride a donkey (normal donkey size) with the donkey being comfortable with their weight?

I'm right @ Daisy's limit, if I gain weight I probably wouldn't ride her. From what I know horses can carry 20% of their weight, and donkeys can carry 25%

and at my size we're only doing walking/flat riding, I would never ask her to haul my butt up trails or hills. If I ever go on a trail ride with her, i'll probably get off for anything like that & walk with her.

a mammoth donkey can easily carry a large adult -Daisy is a large Standard
  • Daisy is a GREAT donkey!  I was telling my trimmer about Daisy!  I can't remember how that came about.  Maybe a saddle fit conversation...  Anyway he said "why does she want to ride a donkey?"  (he's very blunt)  And I said "because she loves her donkeys and they're her babies and she's careful about the weight limitations"
    I think it's too cool!  I'm going to send him this link!!  (he's in Kentucky)
  • [quote=hunterseat]

Daisy is a GREAT donkey!  I was telling my trimmer about Daisy!  I can't remember how that came about.  Maybe a saddle fit conversation...  Anyway he said "why does she want to ride a donkey?"  (he's very blunt)  And I said "because she loves her donkeys and they're her babies and she's careful about the weight limitations"
    I think it's too cool!  I'm going to send him this link!!  (he's in Kentucky)

LOL when I hear a question like that I usually think 'why not?'
    I've loved horses all my life, but I've never met a horse as sweet as Daisy!!
    Donkeys truly want to be with you, and you can't treat them like a horse, they're genius. I also love that stuff doesn't freak them out! I always disliked the 'spook' factor with a lot of horses. Nothing phases Daisy! cars, trash cans, loud noises, motorcycles, weedeaters. she could care less. btw she's in love with the lawn tractor. lol I love that I can put anything on her, one time i just walked out and threw a tarp on her head. she just stood there LOL

Daisy actually gets upset when martha is getting attention & she isn't. lol they're like giant dogs, or like 5 year olds, she always tries to test me every once in awhile, and she knows better lol she just likes being a stinker.
  • She is doing so well!  She looks like she's enjoying herself ':)'

We were thinking about getting a donkey as a companion for whichever horse gets left home and this makes me think about it even more ':)'

Congratulations on your first trail ride!
  • When I learn a horse spooks I can no longer be comfortable on them.  I don't mean when a deer explodes in the woods 3 feet away.  Even I spook at that!  Zag and I are both thinking the same thing!  RUN!  [':)']  But I rode a mustang once who had previously spooked and put a lady in the hospital with broken bones....  I just didn't trust her!  I rode her daughter, who was a nutcase in a whole different way. 
    (nothing compared to that owner, actually)
  • Hi,
    I ride a mammoth donkey, John Henry.  He's about 14 hands and is a gentle giant.  I weigh about 95 lbs&  he has no trouble carrying my 140 lb husband.  I have a new Australian saddle which I haven't had a chance to ride in yet.  I have to have the fenders cut down so I can shorten the stirrups. I did get thrown last year after we just got him. He hadn't been rode in two years so he was a little strange in his surroundings. My husband has a Spanish Mustang a paint.  We've done some riding in the mountains.  He has  been doing fine. I wouldn't trade him for a horse!
  • Hi DENTHOM!!!  Where in the world are you located?  We have friends everywhere!  Just general.... like CO or NC... you know...   I see you have a birthday coming up.  The 26th of August in 2019!  OOOH!  You ARE young!!!  [':D']  Ain't been born yet!

I've got an Aussie and I love the security.  I hope you weren't hurt when you got thrown.
  • I live in AZ but I'm in MI on vacation.  Yes I was hurt but I got back on him and now we're doing fine.  I didn't want anyone to know how old I am! I wear a helmet when I ride but still had a hematoma which didn't show up until 2 months later. Also about 20 stitches in my arm. Thank goodness no broken bones. LOL
  • [quote=DENTHOM]
    I didn't want anyone to know how old I am!

Most of us are pretty old!  Well, I'll be 50 next birthday! I guess it depends where you are if you consider that old.  It sounds older than it feels! [':)']  Last weekend I went trail riding bareback and cantered and everything!!  Yee haw!  "I just want to live while I'm alive"
    The video in the morning thread that I posted is my new theme song video!  [':D']

Oh, I always wear a helmet... and gloves, normally.
  • How do I put a picture by my name?  By the way I'm 72 and haven't rode in over 30 years and decided that a donkey would be safe! It's so hot in AZ in the summer that we can't ride. we'll be home by Sept 1st, maybe it will be cooler then. What kind of horse do you have?
  • OH!  You figured it out and you have a lovely donkey!  I hope he treats you nicer in the future!!
    I have 3 former harness racers, Standardbreds.  Only one is rideable now.  I also have a 3y old appy filly who is due to be started or finished or whatever!  She's a little spitfire!
  • Is that the Appy in the picture?
  • YES!  She's a snow cap grulla with rib striping. [':D']  Here's an old picture with Bullwinkle, who is now blind.  She's his constant companion and does a wonderful job.
    WOW that's small!  Let me try the photobucket link...