Quick Post

Bye JJ

Bye JJ
  • Well JJ went to his new home today.  I will miss him.  I let him go for a bit less than I was planning to, but I think the home will be an excellent one.  I passed up a home that was willing to pay full asking price and instead let him go to this one.  I did not want him to go to a home where they were going to put him out with cows and not fool with him. 

Instead he is going to a home with an older couple.  The guy used to be big into mules but last year he had a horrible riding accident that left him in the hospital.  He sold that mule but has since decided he wanted a donkey that he could go out and play around with.  It sounds like he is going to even train him to drive.  After seeing him work with JJ the first time - it left me with a very positive impression so I was thrilled when I heard back from him again saying that he still wanted him if he was available. 

He picked him up tonight and JJ jumped right in like he was ready to go.  I'm already missing him!
  • Wow, Jess.  That's more than just luck.  You're really good at this.  Refresh me on JJ.  Wasn't he a rescue of sorts?
  • Nah - JJ wasn't a rescue.  The guy I got him from used him to make mules but got a mammoth size of the same color and better conformation so he found JJ a new home.  Now JJ was not as comfortable in that home as he was here because he was scared of the larger jacks (they were not penned together - but he would get all worried when they would start to bray) and the guy handled things differently than me (trimmed in stocks instead of getting them used to having their feet handled for instance), but he was not abused or anything. 
  • [quote=jungle_cat]

Nah - JJ wasn't a rescue.  The guy I got him from used him to make mules but got a mammoth size of the same color and better conformation so he found JJ a new home.  Now JJ was not as comfortable in that home as he was here because he was scared of the larger jacks (they were not penned together - but he would get all worried when they would start to bray) and the guy handled things differently than me (trimmed in stocks instead of getting them used to having their feet handled for instance), but he was not abused or anything. 

aww, JJ was lucky to have you as an owner. Sounds like his new Dad will take good care of him.
  • UPDATE!!!

Already got an update on JJ.  He is doing great and had his mane trimmed down and put in a harness already.  He had JJ ground driving the last 2 days with blinders and all and is very pleased with him.  Only a matter of time before he gets hooked up to the cart.  And best of all - JJ is getting his much needed attention!
  • You know in a way I think JJ's new owner needed JJ
    way more than you did.  It was nice of you to take less $
    and I think JJ came out better also.

Have you had any updates from the horse (Traveler ? right)
    that went to Ill.
  • A win/win, Jessie!  Awesome!!! 
  • YAY!!
    thats awesome news!
  • I think you are right SC - I think they needed each other.  That is why I was jumping for joy when he called me back - when he first came out here they seemed to *click* if you know what I mean. 

I think you mean Drifter - and you know, I haven't had a recent update.  I know he had extra training put on him and came home to their farm after that, but nothing much since then.  I should go ask!  Tried to go to her chat a couple times but I think I have the time wrong now because no one is ever there.
  • Laura and I exchange forwarded email most of the time.
    I lost the link to the chat ,  but I don't think she goes there much
    anymore.

She loves the farm they bought.
    She has had alot of problems health wise.

Do you have her email?   I could pm it to you.

Texasgal lost contact with her friend who she
    gave Adaya (Charms filly) to also.  Last she knew she hadn't even
    transferred the registration papers for her.
  • Had an update from JJ's new home...

Pics!

• Holy really-cute-donkey!!!   What a TEAM they make!  This is incredible, jc!  Doesn't JJ look like he's really focused in on what the man is telling him?   That's SUCH a great success story!  [':)']  You must be about to burst! 
  • I knew JJ would be great in harness.  He did wonderful when I ground drove him.  Just didn't have the cart.  I'm thrilled with how JJ looks there - I think he is in the right home.
  • AWWW!! Yup, JJ found himself a good home!! He looks great in harness!!