Quick Post

New Mule Owner

New Mule Owner
  • Greetings all..  I am VERY new to the forum.  I recently got myself a mule... JACK!  Or as I like to call him 'Just Jack'..

I've never owned a horse or a mule before.  I am actually leasing him for 3 months to decide if we are right for each other.  I like to say we're dating.

Any tips/suggestions from you mule parents, will be greatly appreciated. 

Happy new year to all!

Sara
  • Welcome Sara!  (and Just Jack)  I'm a horse mom but there are some great long ear lovers here - they'll be here eventually!
  • Welcome Sara and Just Jack ! Since you've never owned a horse or mule before you'll be ahead of the game than horse owners that get mules. Mules have a different mentality than horses and I'm sure Jack will train you right. Be fair, be firm, be consistent with lots and lots of praise and love. When teaching new things, baby steps, show him every step. Ask don't demand. Trying to force him to do things instead of asking for a try will most likely lead to a battle, one which you most likely won't win and will build resistance to learning new things.  If something isn't working think it out, WHY isn't it working, maybe he needs to be shown a different way or maybe he just didn't understand what you want. Back up, try again and break it into baby step.  Mules are like little kids they want to know WHY about everything, a good explanation is a must.  Even if it's because they will get a treat for a try.

I look forward to hearing your adventures ! Remember we like stories and pictures, lots and lots of pictures.
  • thank you all for the warm welcome!  i will definitely keep you all posted to my new adventures with Just Jack!!!  we are going riding today.  he truly hasn't been ridden in about 4 months.  so it should be interesting.  my friend/horse trainer rode him yesterday for about 20 min and said he's got great potential, just needs to brush up on his skills.  so we shall see.!!

happy sunday eveyrone!
    sara
  • What Fancymules said - also if you get frustrated, do not get upset, take a break, then go back to it at a different angle. You can seriously ruin your relationship with your long ear if you loose your cool. ( I think this should be applied to all animals LOL)

Remember have fun, don't ask him to do anything unless your 100% sure he knows what you want. go slow, it'll pay off in the end.

I personally have had fantastic results clicker training my donkeys, they're VERY food motivated.

Congrats!