Quick Post

Tips, tricks, or help

Tips, tricks, or help
  • I bought a 15 year old Paint mare that has been a pasture pet for the past 6+ years, her training so far has gone really well. I have her started under saddle, she takes the bit well, and has good ground manners. I have spent most of my training in the round pen or in the pasture, but now that I am ready to get her out on some trails she spooks and gets worked up. I ponied her and she did fine, but when it is her alone she shuts down to any type of training. She was previously with another horse that she was dependent on at her old home and I tried to break her of that but where I am boarding her other horses are constantly being put in with her and she attaches herself to them. Is there any tips as to how I can calm her down when she is away from the other horses or keep her focused on her training when she is out of the pasture?
  • I'm not western but I know patience is key. Don't be in a hurry. There's a trainer who advocates being able to sit still and not force the issues. When you go out and she stops. Let her stand there. Personally I feel more secure in something like an Aussie saddle when they might spook.