Quick Post

The education of Jewel, Part II

The education of Jewel, Part II
  • I'll take my camera out when I go to feed.  She's so beautiful cantering that I've been meaning to get some video of her.   She's recovering some of her spunk as of this morning.  She was so shocked by being put in her place that she was letting Chocolate eat with her but now she's decided he isn't allowed and squealed and kicked at him this morning.....

Should have measured her when I had her out the other day, too.....

Silly Sahara has it figured out, huh?  Mares! 

Here are a couple pictures.  Was going to get more but a waterline cracked while we were watering and started gushing water so....... had to go turn off the water.....

This is Spirit, the "evil" pony who is keeping her in line ':)'  Looks kinda fuzzy and cuddly, huh?

Getting more filled out and changing color again.... she was nearly black but going reddish again...

• Your horses are all so beautiful, and Spirit is so dang cute.... he's more my size, ha ha.
  • Spirit looks to fluffy to be evil. Yeah, Jewel's coat color has changed a lot. How did she do that? Yep, unfortunately Sahara has figured out which people are afraid of her and she doesn't listen to well to them but doesn't take full advantage at least. But that's there fault not mine. ';)'

•  
    Jewel and her patience pole ':)'

Need to dig around and find a shorter lead rope to use with the blocker tie..... speaking of digging.... she tried that too, and she'd wrap herself around the pole, stand there with her face tight against the pole, looking at me like "Um, can you get me outta this?" but would eventually work herself out and go the other way..... she hasn't pulled back in days ':)'
  • Talked to Clayton and he said Jewel did very well today, she's coming along nicely.  He said she's really smart which is part of the problem ':)'  He was glad to hear we've been doing our homework and she's been doing OK.  He's been putting a surcingle on her and tightening it up gradually, added a pad today and she is doing better with it.  No more rodeo ':)'
  • Jewel obviously got some "education" from Spirit today.... she has about a 2" raw spot on her flank, some hair missing on her withers and her left knee is swollen and has one raw patch on it..... she's not lame but I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it will have gone down some.
  • Zag needs some patience. [':)'] I'm so glad she's doing well. I hope Spirit doesn't kill her! [':)']
  • Yikes!  I know..... I think she gets a false sense of her power because I stand there and guard her while she eats her pellets.  Afterward, she feels brave and comes up to him where if I'm not there she scurries away...... The trainer said she's a smart one, mind always working......
  • My neighbor texted me while watching Clayton work with Jewel this morning.  He had been putting a surcingle and pad on her and she was still reacting some but today she was finally saddled for the first time and did well ':)'  She's getting taller, need to measure her.......
  • Haha. ...wait...she is getting taller?!
  • Yep..... I was standing there scrubbing mud off her while she ate her pellets and her withers are higher than my eyes....... I'm 5' 9"...... need to find my measuring tape and get her on flat ground.  She's looking ribby and her hips are prominent again....
  • I wonder how much more she will grow. The only thing of Sahara that seems to be growing is her bum. She is built a bit downhill. Her bum is just a bit above my shoulders but her withers are a tad bit below. Have read that it can be normal in young Arabians she is part quarter horse so she does have a powerful behind. Don't feel any problems riding except bareback. Can't relax my legs much as I slip forward way to easy. Do you know anything about horses build downhill and when it usually starts to correct? I have noticed she is much more balanced now then when I first got her. I keep forgetting to measure her. XD
  • Some never correct. My first horse was built a bit downhill. It never affected his soundness, his agility or his SPEED. Yes, he was a fast bugger.
  • How old is Sahara? I don't know thought, my big guy, Cody grew until he was 6 1/2.  Jewel is almost 4 so she still has some growing to do and I've heard warmbloods take a looooonnnnggg time to mature, physically and mentally.
  • Someone told me by her teeth she should be turning 3 next birthday with would be next year. I think she is 2 years and 3 months. She is a Quarab but has a bit of native in her. She looks older than she is in my opinion for but maybe because Quarter horses start looking mature earlier than arabians. As for the native ponies they start to look mature around 3-4 but fully grown at 8. I measured her the other day and she is 55 inches.