Quick Post

Training bosal or biteless bridle??

Training bosal or biteless bridle??
  • I have a 3 y/o arab I would like to start with either a bosal or biteless bridle. Any good, bad experiences? I have tried a snaffle but he constantly chews it and throws his head after 20 minutes.
  • My Shuffler mare was terrible about the bit, chewing, flinging, throwing her head, wouldn't walk straight. Finally I just loosened it. She has been perfectly fine since, except now everyone says "hey your bit is too loose."

• How do you ride? English? A snaffle is pretty easy and rule of thumb is the wrinkle at the mouth. Have you had her mouth/teeth looked at? Has he had wolfe teeth pulled?

Have you tried some bitting sessions? Done correctly, it's a good way to get them off the bit. But you want to make sure the bit is comfortable in their mouth. If that's possible. Not so according to the bitless community. I like riding bitless but it's not for everyone.

• Okay, you probably ride western since this is the western section. doh!

• rode  bitless for 20 plus years, went back to a bit and then 3 or 4 years ago went bitless again

I have no use for a bosal, rode in side pulls most of the  20 years and  3 or 4 years ago went to a hackamore

The small short shanked hackamore and he loved it.    

Just be sure he can't run through anything you are riding in

It is better to have more stopping power then you need and use it gently then to not have enough and have to use it harshly.

The reason I went back to a bit years ago was because my daughter raced my horse and found the starts with the large crowds and little intimidating,

• Mt mare did do better with the bit loosened but I just gave up and switched her to a bitless Indian Reiner.

My gelding out of her was very hard mouthed and I hated  pulling on him. And my mare's filly seemed to have a hard time with a bit also.

I switched them to a bitless reiner and they both drastically improved.