Quick Post

Monday Mostly

Monday Mostly
  • Cooler finally.
    Only 80's for the week.
    Last summer was hotter but this summer I had a harder time with the heat.
    Some rain chances this week that are welcome.

My first limes have ripened.
    No lemons yet.

Everyone have a marvelous week.
  • Well, back in Oak Run.  Busy weeks ahead.  The harassment through the county by our darling neighbor continues.  I have to move Jmebear's shipping Container next door to stop the county from their harassment.   I keep telling her complying will only lead to new and different harassment, but she wants it moved.  So... much fun.  Evil people are so much fun!

• Stude, so sorry some people are so miserable in their own lives that they want to make every one else miserable, too.

Cherish is still so sore...Farrier says NO to putting shoes back on but her poor feet are so tender.  Her spirit is bright, however.  A friend who takes care of a vet's race horses told me to get Hoof Doctor.  It finally came, she has had two applications and she is showing improvement.  I want her to be better and pain free, preferably without a lifetime of meds.

Nice and cool here today.  So thankful for this.  Leaves are turning fast.  Vet would not test her for anything when she was here and adopted a , take the shoes off, Bute, and wait and see.  She has already grown quite a bit of coat.  Is off Bute and on turmeric...she is either getting ready for an early winter or has Cushings I am told.....can't test for that until she has been off bute for a week.  That will be this weekend and then it will be a farm call and $100 for the test.  I do not want to give up on her.

• I have a mare with Cushings.  Two things help; Buteless pellets by Absorbine for the pain and  Remission by AniMed for the insulin resistance.   Both are expensive, but work at keeping Raven's system balanced and the pain out of her feet.  She's quite advanced, so just a change in the weather can cause issues with her.  The Vet was just a bottomless pit of bills to pay for me and I'm not rich enough for that venue.  Raven is largely useless, however, she is also largely pain free at present.  One more thing I was using for a while was Safe Starch by Triple Crown.  Worked very well with Raven  However it costs four times as much as regular hay does here.  Will likely be going back to it this winter.  

There are a variety of boots available too.  An Easy Boot Trail would be simple to put on and remove.  However they're almost seventy dollars a boot.   They have a glue-on for somewhat more than half that price.  But when it comes time to remove them... suffice it to say, they don't come off easily.  If your farrier is careful, you might get two settings or more out of them.

Cushings is not something that goes away.  There is no cure that I am aware of, believe me I've been looking for several years now and no luck. Kind of like Diabetes.  She and you will be coping  with this for the rest of her life.  My sympathies go out to you.