Quick Post

Apache and the Little Branch

Apache and the Little Branch
  • Horseback riding yesterday. Apache comes across a small branch that has recently fallen and still had green leaves. He wanted to check it out and I figure when he discovered the green leaves were not really something he would want to eat he would move on. No, he continued to play with it and by the time he got bored with it the branch had attached itself to his bridle. At that point, the little branch, “little” being the key word here, became the aggressor. He went into reverse and the branch kept following him. He backed up to a foxhole.  And slid down into it. I stayed on and was nicely centered in the saddle. I naturally got into a jumping position as I knew he was going to lunge out of the foxhole, I was ready. He did as expected and at the critical moment the billet connecting my saddled to the girth strap broke.  He ends up out of the foxhole while me and the saddle remained behind. Sometime doing all of this he stepped onto my fingers. As soon as I got up and was able to move my fingers with out any issues, a little pain, but nothing bad. We were just 2 minutes from the end of the ride. He waited for me to climb out of the foxhole, didn’t run off.

• Wow Face , glad you are ok.

That could have gone all ways of bad.

I just recently changed out all my billets since having to play musical saddles to have one that fits Surprise.

I also like using a cinch strap as a half breed instead of billets.

Still was short a saddle when I was swapping horses last week to get a ride in on everyone.

I may have to pull out the fancy saddle soon.

Sarcee won't be ridden for awhile since she came up lame last week.

Turned them all out after having been penned several days from the rain.

They always have their antics but Sarcee could barely walk at feeding time.

No obvious injury, heat or swelling.

She is 24 but as herd leader has to be fastest and win every race which she can but pays for it.

Stall rest and she has improved but limited turnout for awhile and no riding her.

• So sorry about Scarcee but glad for improvement.

Face....SO VERY GLAD you landed softly.  I had a billet break once...my horse started leaning to the left...nope, saddle was slipping to the right.  like your horse,  He waited for me to get off the ground.  Then, I put the saddle back on him...not going to carry it when he could.  Then,  I was much younger and far more agile,  put my foot in the stirrup, ( he was slightly downhill from me), remounted and rode him back to the barn.  No way I could do that now.  Glad your hand is okay and the evil horse killing branch lost the fight with your mount....Fox hole scary, too.

Appointment today with orthopod...probably going to schedule another hip injection.  prefer this to surgery.

Have a great day all.

• Note on the Foxholes. Talking BIG US Army Foxholes. Paratroopers use to do exercises on our property during the Korean War and they dug these Foxholes. Back then all this land was a dairy farm. When our house was built the plumber told us as a kid he would watch them parachute in.

• thank you for the information.  What a wonderful history your place has.  Here we have woodchuck holes...small leg breakers.