Quick Post

Ya got to eat right????? So.......

Ya got to eat right????? So.......
  • Let's see somethings we can cook up either at home, or around the campfire.

Cowboy Stew

4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 pounds beef chuck, cubed
    12 small boiling onions, blanched and peeled
    1 bay leaf
    1 dried chipotle pepper, whole for less heat, or 1 pepper in adobo, diced (optional)
    1 (10 ounce) can condensed onion soup
    3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
    1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (sold in the spice aisle of most supermarkets)
    1 pound golden potatoes (such as small Yukon Gold), cut into 2-inch chunks
    6 carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch chunks
    3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water (optional, for thicker broth)
    Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.

In a sealable plastic bag, mix together flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add a small handful of meat at a time and shake until well coated.

Brown meat in hot oil, in batches, about one minute per side. Remove meat, reduce heat to medium and add onions. Brown onions, about 3 minutes total, then remove from pot and set aside

Drain excess fat from pot. Add browned meat, bay leaf, chipotle pepper (if using), onion soup and beef broth to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Add Liquid Smoke, potatoes, carrots, browned onions and celery; cook 30 minutes more. (For a thicker broth, 30 minutes before stew is done, slowly stir the flour-water mixture into stew.) Season finished stew with salt and pepper to taste.

6 to 8 servings
  • Campfire Cookout

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    4 large carrots, sliced
    4 large potatoes, sliced
    1 large onion, sliced
    Worcestershire sauce

Mix ground beef, salt and pepper. Shape into 4 large patties. place each patty on a large square of heavy-duty foil. Cover each patty with prepared vegetables, then sprinkle each liberally with Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 15 minutes over hot coals, then turn and cook on the other side for 15 minutes.
  • Those sound tasty!  You are making me so hungry.
  • Dump Cake:  Now to go along with your meal, I like to offer some kind of cake. There are many kinds you can use , Some of my favorites are:
    • chocolate cake over cherry pie filling
    • spice cake over peaches 
    • spice cake over apples
    To make your cake, use packaged cake mix and either canned or fresh sweetened fruit or canned pie filling.

Begin by putting the fruit in the bottom of the Dutch oven and sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit. Pour enough 7up (or other lemon lime soda) over the top to moisten the mix a little [about 1/2 can] and poke it around some to begin.  Six coals on the bottom and twelve on top should be about right to cook this in 45 minutes or so.  As it begins to cook, you will see the moisture begin to come up through the cake mix.  If you end up with some dry spots add a little more 7up.
    You will end up with more of a cobbler than a cake, but very few leftovers.

Any time you cook sugar it will probably stick to your Dutch oven.  Foil lining the oven will somewhat prevent this, but the foil is more trouble than good, so to clean your oven after cooking anything sticky,  just boil it out.
  • Or breakfast for the whole dern camp!!!

Ingredients:

1 13 cast iorn inch skillet and skillet lid
    1 stick of butter or margarine
    1 12 oz. can frozen concentrate Orange Juice
    3/4 C. granulated white sugar.
    3 tubes of refrigerator biscuits (30 biscuits)
    1 double burner Camp Chef stove

How to Prepare:

Pre heat skillet on low pressure burner set on low setting for approximately three minutes.
    Pre heat lid on other burner set on low.

Add butter to the skillet and melt.
    Then add frozen OJ and sugar, stir while bringing to a boil. Boil for a minute, turn off burner under fry pan.

Pour orange sauce into a mixing bowl. Add biscuits to pan and lay them in like tipped over domino's. Now add lid that was pre heating and let sit for ten minutes.

Remove lid and re-heat over a burner on high heat. While heating lid until it smokes (smoking indicates your about to remove your seasoning so don't get any hotter than this) drizzle orange sauce over rolls covering all the bread surface.

Next???
    Add smoking lid and let sit another five minutes. Remove lid and serve from skillet.

Serves 15
  • Serves 15 [/quote ] 

NOT AT MY HOUSE!  That'd be about enough for 4. ':)'

• YUMM! Sure beats our campfire cooking!

• Yum!!  I used to make the peach cobbler dish when I was a counselor at Girl Scout camp in Washington.  Smells like heaven on earth!

We used to make Greek lamb kabobs-carry the marinating meat chunks the first day and cook them up the first night.   MMMMMmmmmmmm

Thanks for sharing, Harley!
  • Try these:

• WOW Ride2much! Those sound great.

I can see that if we ever get a forum ride & campout together we will be well fed.
  • yumm they all sound great my mom makes a great bean soup with sausage i'll be back later to give the recipe. right now i have to go eat some. _she just made it-
  • man Harley.. if you can cook like that we should keep you LOL