Quick Post

Thanksgiving Menu

Thanksgiving Menu
  • It's that time again. 
    What is everyone serving this year?
    Pilot usually does the majority of Turkey Day cooking. [:)] Maybe he will let me help this year?
    So far we are doing the usual Turkey and his famous cornbread stuffing.
    I insist on sweet potatoes which I already bought. [;)]
    And I am pushing for my pumpkin bars instead of pie. He makes awesome pie crust, but I like the oatmeal crust on the bars plus the pumpkin to crust ratio is greater. [:D]
    Not many guests this year so we will have to finalize the guest list before the finishing the menu?

• Well, we will be having turkey of course, plus mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, sweet potatoes, rolls,a raw veggie salad, and a jello salad (it's lime jello with crushed pineapple and cream cheese)YUM!!!! Oh and pumpkin pie (made from scratch) and chocolate pie too. My brother's birthday is the 27th, so we may have a birthday cake for him then too. Either way, everyone will have full stomachs when they head back home at the end of the day [':)']
  • My mom used to make that lime jello, Dolphin!!!  I miss it but none of my family wants it.... ':('

Well, lets see..... roasted turkey-may put it in the BBQ, mashed potatoes w/ turkey gravy, baked sweet potatoes, my mom's recipe for cornbread stuffing that my kid's love, homemade rolls (think I might try a new recipe for Hawaiian bread I found in one of my gluten-free magazines), green salad, maybe a green bean casserole.  For dessert, we'll have pumpkin pie and probably apple pie as my husband and youngest don't do pumpkin pie.

The best part is the sandwiches after though, slathered liberally with cranberry sauce!!!!
  • Sounds great Danastark! Wonder why your family doesn't like the jello that way, it is soooo yummy~ I totally forgot to add that we will be having homemade bread stuffing and of course, cranberry sauce [':)'] What would Thanksgiving be without the cranberry sauce and all the sandwiches afterwards.....I can almost taste them now....YUMMY
  • So far just 4 guests, maybe 2 more. 
    We were hoping you know who would come, but she thinks freezing her butt off is more appealing than riding her butt off in Texas?
    I have been considering getting a turkey fryer.
    Mostly because I want a big deep fryer, [8|]
    not so much for frying turkey. Does anyone ever fry their's?

And of course the obligatory cranberry sauce.
    The jelly kind though not with stuff in it. [:-]

One couple that is coming is having an open house the next day so I need to make some extra finger food dishes to take there. 
  • My sister's stepson (adult obviously) does his turkey in the deep fryer and she said it is really good but takes a lot of oil.  

My dad soaks his in brine overnight, then grills it ':)'
  • People fry all over this area.  It seems like a lot of trouble but I know it can come out really well.  The trick to the oil is to put the bird in, fill with water to cover, take bird out, mark water level.  Then you  know how deep to put your oil.  It's a serious fire hazard so be careful, as I know you will. 

I got a $20 turducken roll from Kroger that seems to fascinate boywonder so I guess he will have that.  I hate he's alone - well, he won't be alone.  But he's not being overly wonderful at the moment. 

Not sure what's on the menu at the Chatter  household.  He's already accumulating stuff.  I'll pack up some odds and ends we can use.  He's got 3 kids and a possible son's gf coming.  Maybe daughter's bf.  The 15yr old girl is saying "not coming" so... I think she wants to be begged.  Hopefully that won't happen. 
  • Good tip for finding the oil level.
    We are having 8 or 9 for dinner. Our artist friend didn't have Tday plans so we invited them too.
    We decided to go with both ham and turkey as usual. I didn't get a fryer but maybe I will if I see one during the holiday sales?

We decided on pecan and Osgood pies plus the pumpkin bars. [8D] The extra desserts are going to my friend's open house on Friday so I ain't skeert.

• I know I asked this last year but what is an "Osgood" pie???
  • Osgood pie is a very old southern family recipe.
    Very strange, never seems like it should work. [8|]

butter, eggs, pecans, raisins, vinegar, cinnamon, and cloves.

It is one of my favorites. [':)']
  • Hmmm, sounds kind of like pecan pie but with a tang to it?
  • More reminiscent of mincemeat? 
    Pilot gets the kitchen this morning for pie making. [':)']
  • M'mmm, the cornbread stuffing sounds yummy!   I don't have much for family left, I have an elderly aunt who lives about 2 hours from me, and the majority of my best friends live about an hour or more away too.... so it will just be me and my critters here.  I may go out to eat for Thanksgiving, but nothing beats home cooking!  If I feel ambitious I might make a casserole, but so far eating out is winning.
  • Remali I had forgotten but I use to make a turkey loaf. (long ago) 
    It would be a good single person Thanksgiving dinner.

Something like this:

Divide the recipe or bake one and freeze one to bake later?
    2 pounds ground all-white turkey (or a mix of dark and white meat) 
     3 to 4 ribs of celery, finely chopped 
     1 medium onion, finely chopped 
     1 tablespoon poultry seasoning 
     1 large egg 
     Salt and ground black pepper 
     2 cups chicken stock 
     2 cups stuffing mix 

Mix all gently and bake 350* for an hour?

• Turkey, cranberries (the kind from the can without stuff in them), stuffing, dumplings (homemade, famous!), whatever kind of pie/desert our guests bring (I don't think they've decided yet), and whatever kind of pie sis and I make (still haven't decided). Looks like we have a solid pie plan. [':D'] I can't come up with anything else off the top of my head. [:-]

Happy Early Thanksgiving!