Quick Post

Thrush

Thrush
  •   My horses have a case of thrush.  I didn't know that thrush was flakey like that until my instructor told me.  She said I needed to put half bleach and half water into a mixture and pour it on the hoof once a day.  The bottom of the hoof is white and flakey. But there isn't a really bad smell or black stuff in the hoof.  I'm not sure how they got it because we have clean stalls that they are put in at night then they go outside all day.  The different pens outside have been kept mostly dry exept for some rain showers.  We also pick their hooves frequently.  So I'm not sure what else to do.  Please tell me what I should do to help them get over this quickly.  Also when they have thrush can you still ride because I have a show coming up next week, so I need to practice some more.
  •   What you are discribling is not thrush at all.  The white flakey material is simply dead sole.  Normally as the horse moves around it exfoliates the dead tissue so there is very little covering the live sole.  If you typically ride in an arena with soft footing than you will have a build up of this crumbly cheeselike material that does not get worn down by the abraision of sand and rocks.  Thrush on the other hand is a degreneration of the frog where you will have the blackening and foul smell along the sulci.  Your horse is fine to ride.  The next time your farrier is out watch how he will par the foot down and remove all the dead sole.