Quick Post

Rain Rot..

Rain Rot..
  • ha ha im happy to say the rain rot is finally almost gone! im so happy and i know she feels better! heres a picture of her. She has lost most of the hair on her back and butt now but looks a lot better!

• im glad to hear the rain rott is almost gone....i take care of a 21yrs old morgan mare she had rain rott on her but i used listerine twice a day  on the spott and it was gone in a week.
  • Hi, I'm new to the forum. But I have a gelding who also got rain rot real bad last fall. I gave him two baths with iodine shampoo before it got too cold to bathe. It still looked bad so I bought a bottle of antifungal spray with tea tree oil but used it up in a few days. It seemed to be helping, not living close to the farm supply store and thinking of past home remedies, I started spraying infected areas with undiluted apple cider vinegar. It finished healing and now I spray him with it on rain days as a preventitive measure. So far it's working. But if anyone thinks vinegar will be harmful to him, please let me know.
  • Hi welcome to the forum.  I dont' think it would bother him at all.  We used it on dogs and everything when I was a kid.  I have taken to using the big bottle of iodine that I get at Rural King and when I see a spot that could be rain rot I use a sprayer or cotton ball if you don' mind having it on your hands and soaking the spot.  Always gets rid of it in a hurry and before it can get too far along.
  • Thank you for your input and i will get some iodine (and latex gloves)
  • [quote=hunterseat]

Since it's a fungus (think athlete's foot or ringworm) you have to kill it and the scabs coming off is a must.  I scrape the scabs off with my fingernail.  (that sounds grosser than it is) But I don't expect them to stand there while I get every one all in one session!  You can spray her with a diluted Listerine or very weak bleach dilution lightly and work that in... while she's stalled. 
    What a good girl! 

It's not ringworm, and it's not a fungus. It's generally caused by humid conditions (think of hair matted down, air can't circulate, damp next to skin).

"The organism dermatophilus congolensis causes rain rot. dermatophilus congolensis is not a fungus. It is an actinomycetes, which behaves like both bacteria and fungi."

http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthRainRot.shtml

The site also  has some treatment recommendations, including betadine.