Quick Post

How about a game of guess the name?

How about a game of guess the name?
  • Or... more precisely, identify the type?

Okay, if you identify the horsedrawn vehicle you may post the next picture or pass and I'll post the next.

How about this beauty for our first guess:

This was restored by Daniel Raber of Millersburg Ohio.  He said it took over nine hundred hours to complete.  I found it interesting that the old carriage makers used mahogany for the footboards on these sporting vehicles.  This way they could make it from one piece of wood without splicing as only Mahogany comes in sufficient width to do the job.  See, if you splice the wood for a footboard, eventually the stress will cause it to crack.

Okay... anyone?
  • Beautiful restoration.  Alas, I know far more about two wheeled horse drawn than I do about four wheeled.  Too many miles behind Standardbreds, I guess.
  • Okay Connie, then how about this one?

I and my family out for a Sunday Drive.  The vehicle is built by Harewood of England and this particular one is the prototype of  it's type.  What is it?

By the by, there's an identical one (likely without the back seat) offered in the Martin's 40th anniversary sale. 

• I am going to call it a gig, but I really am making a guess.  I have better knowledge of jog carts and race bikes.  I do know a meadowbrook when I see one and the Amish buggies since there are some of them in this area.

I am sure your knowledge of horse drawn items far exceeds mine.  
  • Well, I don't mind sharing knowledge.[8|]  I'm a bit nerdy that way...  Okay a lot.[';)']

Okay... yeah, it's a Gig.  Sporting Gig to be exact.  A more modernized version of the classic Dog-Cart.

The first picture is called a Roof-Seat-Break (not brake).  These vehicles started out as what we currently call Skeleton Breaks way back when, and were used to break in green horses.  Later, some aristocrats discovered how high the driver was, and they decided it would make a great Portable grand-stand.  So, one of the more popular uses for a Roof-Seat-Break was to use it at the Races, like Ascot.  They're also set up as a picnic wagon.  There are doors in the sides and rear that open on places to keep baskets for lunch, chairs, tables, iced wine and drinks, etc...
  • Gorgeous rigs, stud.  I've been meaning to comment on this thread by now.  sorry.

I went to the Clydesdale sale in Springfield last year.  There was a man who build this kind of rig.  VERY nice work!  He "no-sale"'d his rig cuz no one bid enough.  That happened a lot with the horses, too.  It was a very sad sale.  Just no money.  One black Clyde went for $22K!!!  The next highest was $9K then most were 2 or 3K.  And a BUNCH of no sales.  [':(']
  • All right, here's another one for you.  A fresh restoration, this vehicle is the type a gentleman would often take to work in the morning.  Kind of an upscale commuting vehicle.  It has a buggy-type gearing and is therefore lightweight enough for a single horse.  The type is named after the son of the Greek Sun god who nearly crashed his father's chariot (the sun, of course) into the earth.  It's designation has to do with the foot-board and how it drops down from the rest of the body.

Any guesses?

This carriage is for sale at a very reasonable price, currently listed in carriagemart.Com.  The top, by the way, is wrinkly because they haven't pulled down all the streachers.  Why, I don't know.  Certainly didn't present the top very well.
  • phaethon
  • Good job, the family is Phaeton.   I gave also a hint as to the type, can you guess it?

Here's another from the family of Phaetons, it's called a Spider Phaeton (sometimes spelled spyder):

Sometimes these are called Stanhope&nbsp';P'haetons if the body extends down into the Groom's seating area. 
    Here's yet another Phaeton, called a Park Phaeton:

The standing top is a later addition.  This carriage came from the Studebaker factory with a folding 'extension top'. 

I do so wish the money was available for this one.  Sadly, I don't have it.  The vehicle is sound, though badly refreshed, and in need of a total restoration.  Pity, I really liked this one. 

• Those are beautiful!!
  • Yeah, they are beautiful.  They're both the same price too.  Hard choice that, thirty-five hundred for the big-beautiful-needing-everything-restored Park Phaeton or same price for the Spider-that's-perfect-with-lamps.  Hmmm...  I must admit though, my preferrence (except for condition) is the Park Phaeton.  Luckily, I'm broke, LOL!   So, I can admire and appreciate both without the stress of having to choose.
  • Luckily, I'm broke, LOL!

Totally understand that line of thinking!
  • I must admit, I have to do a search to find out what your pictures are of.  You appear to have excellent taste and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new team hooked to a wonderful carriage.  Other than Standardbreds with jog carts (both kinds) and race bikes, the only thing I ever got to drive was a work team with a manure sled.  I know someone who 'collects' buggies and she has a nice collection.  Now she needs a horse as her driving horse passed 'over the rainbow bridge' this winter.

Love the posts, however and am learning something, which is always fun.
  • Thanks for the compliment Connie.  Yeah, champagne taste... koolaid budget, LOL!

By the by, the first Phaeton is a 'Drop-Front' type.  Kind of a more elegant version of the Buggy.  Also, Nicole finally sold it.  Contrats to the buyer who got a fantastic deal!

Here's a nice one for you:

This one is named after the folding back seat.
  • Rumble seat carriage.   I may not know what they all are, but with the clues you give, I can make some decent guesses.  I did check, and found one like the picture to make sure my guess was at least a decent one.

Fun