Quick Post

What do you think of Arabians?

What do you think of Arabians?
  • trying again
  • ha ha finally got a picture up but don't know how I did it (smirk)  I sure feel dumb, anyway, that's my 1/2 arab 1/2 percheron filly, she's just under 4 months old in the pic and now she's coming 4  Beautiful, smart, athletic and sweet!!  Hope to get her going jumping and dressage.
  • I love Arabans and I have them. Now down to three, I had 10, three of them I bred. I always had TB's, an occasional warmblood, a Haflinger mix. But I will always favour the Arabians. My three now are
     one almost straight Egyptian, 15.3, 23 years old, good bone, not afraid of anything, and the only time he acts flighty is when he heads out to pasture for the first time in spring. But he will NEVER forget that there's me attached to the leadrope, so he's dancing and prancing, but all on a loose rope. Under saddle he's about bomb proof, and you can leeave him out in paddock for three years and after that saddle up and go without any problem whatsoever.
    Number two is almost straight polish, 15.3 also, 17 years old, very good straight legs, a conformation to die for. He's a bit more "flighty",because he's been mistreated before I got him and has not forgotten it. But he's always aware of where any fiber of his body is and you can give him to a 3 year old kid to lead around, Also he'll be dancing and prancing, but he will never even try to pull on the rope or run into you or things like that.
    The third one is a little Crabbet bred mare, as sweet as they come, typical girl. 13 years old. typical stocky Crabbet type. Ideal for Western Disciplines, which she does.
     I usually take all three out together, even after some days in due to rain. We do go a bit faster than I would like, but they wait nicely to be freed, for their carrot, and then take off.
     In my opinion, halter shows have ruined the breed. All is excess, the heads, the stance, the gaits. All that is judged is the beauty of the head, backs and legs are being forgotten. So they don't count as riding horses anymore .
    I cannot speak for the states, only for Germany, since I'm German, and for Italy, since I live there. Show horses don't ride, riding horses don't show. The first ones lack substance, the second ones type. That is what people say and think,. And sometimes see. There are, thank God, exceptions. I'm being always asked where I got mine, they do look like real horses.
     Maybe, sooner or later, breeders wake up and return to the Arabians who can do it all...not olympic level, o course, but all. And do it with style and beauty.
    As for Haflingers...there are Arab Haflinger crosses, called Arabo-Haflinger. I used to ride one and enjoyed the heck out of it. But, as with any cross with two breeds so different, not always the best of both breeds comes out in a foal.
    The attached pic is my last filly, Pekhasha, 2 months old on the pic
    Ulrike
  • Great post dhw!  You make ME love your horses! [':)']  Except for one thing.  Not enough pictures!!! 

Mare, what an awesome girl you have!  I hope she does well for you!!
  • Thanks, Hunter....
    just wait, once I figured out how to downsize all my pics, you'll be bombarded[':D']
  • I know, I just LOVE her, and she was born here so we are so bonded.  Forgot to remember that I'm 50 now, and she is obedient and wants to please but also very very high spirited!!  I don't bounce like I used to
  • I love my Arabian. I dislike the way some people think of Arabians as hot and full of energy. My Arabian is the sweetest horse I will probably ever own. I use him as a trail horse and a lesson horse for beginner children and adults. He is so laid back and gentle. He may be turning 25 in May but when my mom bought him as a 6 year old, he was still extremely mellow and level headed. I started riding him when he was 16 or so and he taught me to ride. I am very forunate to still have him around and going strong [':D']. Its going to be hard to replace him with another Arab just because my expectations are extremely high [';)']
    My vet is very impressed with Khlassi. He isnt the more modern looking arab. He has bigger bone and is bigger bodied all around. My vet tells me that he has trouble finding them built like my boy. My vet runs his Arabs in endourance rides.
  • Khlassi is a beauty!  Look at the backend on that boy!  You look great on him!  Do you do Parelli?
  • Here we go, my babies.
    The chestnut is Ramir, the bay Kaschim, and the fleabitten grey is Naseeba
  • [quote=hunterseat]

Khlassi is a beauty!  Look at the backend on that boy!  You look great on him!  Do you do Parelli?

Thank you so much. The person riding him is actually a student that I teach. She is graduating up to my QH mare. I love Parelli as well as Clinton Anderson and Steve Rother. I just bought a new book by Western Horseman called Ride Smart using Craig Cameron. So far I enjoy his methods as well.
    Im not sure if I mentioned Khlassi's age. He is a 1985. You can check out his pedigree at allbreedpedigree.com Khlassikhal.
    Thanks again [':D']
  • I love Arabs, always have. They're smart, tough, beautiful and versatile.

• [quote=jungle_cat]

My limited experience with Arabians has all been positive for the most part.  In fact, the very first horse I ever fell in love with was an Arabian mare.  She was gray - almost white by the time I knew her.  She was very well behaved and owned by a family friend.  When I would go visit my great-grandma in WI during the summer, I would get to see this mare.  I remember one time I got to ride her bareback (double - I was behind the owner) and the mare even did tricks like bow while we were on her. 

The other one I rode was more recently.  An older arabXQH.  He was 27 years old when I rode him and still full of energy.  You had to prove to him that you were serious about going down the trail because he had a whole bag of tricks up his sleeve if you didn't.  Despite that, he was for the most part a good boy and I loved riding him.

However, I probably will never own one.  Why?  Because I am too in-love with the haflingers.  Plus the good ones out there always look like they are too good for trails and should be in the spotlight in the show ring. 

oh,really your first hours was Arabian Just like me>>i'm egyption arabian
  • I know I posted pictures of Khlassi here already but i have some new ones... Khlassi will be 25 in May

• Awww!  He looks like a sweetheart!  He's got a look that says "Mom?  Ya got treats?"
    What a great horse!!

Whoever built that add on can come help me with mine!!!
  • Khlassi is beautiful!!  I have a weakness for chestnuts.