Quick Post

When should I get a horse?

When should I get a horse?
  • I have been riding for 3 weeks now. My coach said I have amazing talent and I was the best person se had ever taught(I got the rising trot on the first lesson and now I am off lead). On Thursday I am going on a trail ride with her. So my question is when do you think I am ready for a horse and what breed. Ask any questions in the comments. P.s I can saddle up, groom as well.
  • Okay, First of all, DO NOT get a horse when you have been riding for 3 weeks, because maybe on the 8th week you get a horse but get bored and never see the horse again. I've been riding for 8 years and just got my first 2 horses. I would take lessons for 6 months THEN LEASE  a horse for about 6 months THEN think about getting a horse, If you can do that then you are dedicated and probably won't get bored, A breed I would get is a quarter horse, depending on what you want I wouldn't get a young horse as a first horse, but a older horse, my mare is 6 but I've been working with her for about 2 years she is still green broke since I had to restart her, My gelding is 22 and fully trained, ALSO just because you can saddle up and groom DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING not to be rude but its true, You also need to know a farrier, vet, teeth floater what shots your horse needs, depending on the breed what diseases they can get, you need to know if you are  financially able because a fully trained horse is about 2k, but you need to also need to know how much board will cost, you NEED a trailer, saddle, saddle blanket, and LOTS MORE DO NOT BUY A HORSE RIGHT NOW PLEASE

• Thank you, I will follow your advice

• Thank you for listening! I see too many people wanting to buy a horse after 1 week then they get it then they abandon it :( but anyway what discipline do you do?

• Wise council, on waiting.  I bought my first horse a little over a month after first riding as an adult.  Then again, I had loved them all my life.  I strongly suggest continuing in lessons and trying out every type of horse you can before committing to anything.  Maybe leasing a horse from the trainer, if you really have a need to, would give a feeling of what it is to actually own one.  Take it slowly.  Horse ownership is expensive and sometimes very difficult.

• I am riding English at the moment but as I get more experienced  I am going to do both. I have heard many stories of people who take lessons for a few weeks then they buy a horse and  a few months later they sell the horse. Once I am experienced I will lease a horse off my trainer. Thank you for all the great suggestions!

• My friend has a big horse stud so once I am dedicated I will ask her.

• Cool!

• anyone can be ready for a horse when ever they want! its a matter of finding a good one that you do well with. i had no riding lessons or help at all when i got my first horse, he was a rescue horse so i didnt have alot of information about him. when i test rode him he did very well, but now he seems to enjoy bucking an jumping around in circles. but its a good experience an i still ride him cause i kinda like the thrill of it. an it taught me how to stay on and nobody else that helped me had a bad horse like mine

• but you also have to learn to do things on your own. your instructor cant always be there to save you

• that was more in response to a person that takes lessons for a reeeally long time

• It has been written that one should count their money before attempting the construction of a tower.  In that way one is protected from starting the project and becoming the butt of his neighbor's jokes by not being able to complete the project.

It is the same with horses.  It is possible to start out in one discipline and wish to move on later being held back though by an unsuitable horse.   If one is too hasty, they can end up with a problem horse or burdened with one they are unable to properly care for. Many-a good horse has ended his life in a killer-pen because of this.

Thus my advice is always to move slowly into horse-ownership.  Move carefully and enjoy the benefits of long-term companionship that a horse can offer.

• Yeah I agree with @studebaker Because You shouldn't rush.....

• I'd wait - a looooong time. Since you haven't been riding for to long, you probably haven't ridden or been around a green horse.The horse that you might get one day could be a bit rusty (like my new Arab gelding - he had a year off of work). My horse is the most mellow you'll come across, but even he has some spookiness in him.

You shouldn't rush it. You have way to much left to learn before you can embark on getting your own horse. I was lucky enough to get my first horse after riding for about 2 1/2 years. I've known some people that don't get their own horse for about 5 or even longer.I'd spend some more time around your barn helping out - cleaning stalls, hearing your trainer's commentary on higher level lessons, maybe going to a few shows with your barn, possibly as a groom once or twice.

I hope this is helpful!

• You also might list all of the qualities that you want in a horse for example stays calm under unexpected excitable circumstances, can calm back down to a walk after a run or when headed back to the barn. Then you can compare to different breeds and the amount and quality of training the horse has already had.