Quick Post

What would I call this pattern?

What would I call this pattern?
  • Hi folks!  I have a new baby (two weeks old this coming weekend) and I have no idea what to call her coloring.  I'm thinking it looks like some sort of paint configuration, but not being familiar with the terminology, I dunno.  I'm hoping she'll turn palomino but I'm figuring it'll be chestnut or red dun (looks like she's developing a dorsal stripe).  We don't know mom's breeding or who the stud was.  Mom (Tyla) has four white feet with rather even edges, the bald face, and lots of roaning; Baby (Macy) has the bald face with ragged edges and four white legs with noticeable ragged edges as well.  Her rear legs are most noticeable with the way the white goes almost all the way up to her flanks.  She's also showing some roaning patches already on the sides of her belly and a few specks throughout her coat.  Any idea what I should tell people when they ask "Is she a paint?" or "What do you call that pattern/color?"?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Here's mom, Tyla:

Macy's Left Side:

Right Side:

Face:

Again, I'm no expert, but close inspection looks like she'll keep the white up to her flanks on the front of the rear legs and at least halfway to the knees on the front legs.  Whaddya think?

• From the first picture I was going to say sorrel, but then ummm, no, maybe. She is beautiful and has her mom's face, but I wanted to be the clever one and tell you her color, but I'm at a loss..... Sorrel/pinto?
  • In my opinion, her color is sorrel. Pattern is overo. She's got roaning, too.
  • [quote=stablemindedgal]

In my opinion, her color is sorrel. Pattern is overo. She's got roaning, too.

Ditto this
  • This forum won't let me see pictures, they're all microscopic. But it sounds like she's probably sabino. Could be some splash white in there, but it's hard to say. Can't tell about the base color.

The color geneticists are trying to get away from the term "overo", since it really doesn't mean anything except "not tobiano" and that's not very helpful. I would just call her a sorrel (or whatever) sabino.

Wish I could see the pictures, I'm sure she's adorable!
  • Oh, yea!! I just got one of the pictures to show up! Definitely NOT just sabino -- there's also splash white and/or frame in there too. The mare looks like she has some rabicano roaning going on as well. What a lovely mare and baby!
  • "The APHA recognizes sabino as one of the "overo" family of color patterns."- Wikipedia.
    "The white usually will not cross the back of the horse between its withers and its tail. Generally, at least one and often all four legs are dark. Generally, the white is irregular, and is rather scattered or splashy. Head markings are distinctive, often bald-faced, apron-faced or bonnet-faced. An overo may be either predominantly dark or white. The tail is usually one color." APHA's website definition of an overo.
       I would disagree that they're trying to get away from the term "overo". And there are exceptions to overos- ex: my mare is an overo, but she has 4 white legs not totally "common" with overos.  SO- no one is wrong because sabino IS overo and we all agree on the sorrel color. I just looked up a link for sabino on APHA. Its worth reading if you have the time: http://www.apha.com/breed/pdf/SabinoDec98.pdf

If you're in doubt, check out www.apha.com  They have a nice list of genetics and colors/patterns (I just got done reading about the roaning gene-quite interesting!)
  • I had to check my book - because I'm challenged.  I see what AppyLady is saying.  Since frame, sabino, and splashed white are all overo patterns, it makes sense to refer to the "specific name for each pattern, relying on overo to mean "nontobiano" which is what the term has come to mean."

It all makes my head swim.  I think I need a nap.
  • I would say sorrel splash overo.
  • [quote=hunterseat]

I had to check my book - because I'm challenged.  I see what AppyLady is saying.  Since frame, sabino, and splashed white are all overo patterns, it makes sense to refer to the "specific name for each pattern, relying on overo to mean "nontobiano" which is what the term has come to mean."

Aha! Finally someone who understands. Hunters Eat wins the cookie!
  • I cheated.  Looked in my genetics book.  There's a new edition out, btw.  Anyway, there was alot of overo info about the difference in how South America looks on it.  It was saying they call the leopard&nbsp';p'attern?/factor? an overo.  (too lazy to double check what word they used)
  •  
    Hey!...I want a cookie too!
  • We have an Arock sighting!!! Quick, someone catch her before she gets away!
  • [';)']
  • [quote=AppyLady]

We have an Arock sighting!!! Quick, someone catch her before she gets away!

[quote=gunslinger598]

[';)']

Silly girl......((((chuckle))))

Hey guns.........[';)']