Quick Post

got bucked off for the first time :(

got bucked off for the first time :(
  • I can't see in your avatar pic but are you in a Western saddle?  I ride English but my Aurstralian with the little ear thingies at the thighs (I always forget their name) really help me feel more secure.  Of course I don't know how to get on and off really fast like an English but....   Hope you heal quickly!  Do you have horses in WF's?  You're pulling 4 to MN?  huh?
  • That is an old picture and I was riding in a little synthetic Abetta saddle until she quit growing.  I had a heck of a time finding a saddle that would fit her.  She has kind of mutton withers and most QH bars were not wide enough and a Halflingher was to wide.  Finally found a Martin saddle that works and
    I now use.  But I love Austalian saddles!!  I used one on my old mare for many many years!!  Those little wings saved me more than once while I was training my old mare who is now 28 yrs. old.   But I couldn't find one that would fit both Ladies back and my pocket book. 
  • Yep we have 2 that are retired.  Mel, my old mare is 28 and Doc, my husbands, is 33.  We now ride Bear, 9 yrs. and Lady, 7 yrs.  Old Doc can no longer eat grass or hay and needs senior feed 2-3 times a day and it is just to hot here to leave him in someone elses hands.  So we bring them with us when we go north keeping our pulls to only about 5 hrs. a day so thay Doc won't get to tired.
  • I use ADM Senior Glo and add alfalfa pellets to make it complete AND I soak it all to mush (mostly cuz I'm so scared of them choking)  My blind horse is about 22 and I can't bear to think about him being with me for another TEN YEARS!
  • ADM is a good product we use grostrong minerals.  I used to mix beet pulp with alfalfa, but here in TX they want a fortune for the beet pulp.  So the Purina Senior ends up costing me the same.  Yep, we keep thinking that each winter will be his last, but he seems happy and gets around pretty well.  Old horses are alot of work aren't they.  I can't even imagine if he was blind!  I think of my 28 yr. old. as being so much younger.
  • Ooo,ouch [:'(] Maybe let an expeirenced rider help with the bridle,and let him teach you how to properly put the bit back in your horse is mouth [';)'] I have to worry about being bucked--I'm still gentling my horse,Flower,but she lets me set on her back,I always cross-tie her to be sure she's not going anywhere.Anyway,be fearless next time you ride him,when he starts messing with the bit again,dismount and check it,just in case.I wish you more than luck riding again! [':)']
  • I finally got back in the saddle last night. I was nervous, but I went back into the tack room, shook it off, and pretended that nothing bad had ever happened. Got my frame of mind right and made myself think of all the other nice, calm no bucky rides we'd been on before. Rode for about half an hour at a walk around the pasture. He was getting a little bored and restless there near the end, but it's been about 3 months since his last ride, can't really blame him! Plus I didn't let him go faster than a walk... my stirrups are a little long and I can't make them shorter, so I'm always uncomfortable at a jog. Maybe we'll jog next time LOL

My confidence has been gone since high school, so it'll still be a long time before I get it back. He's not a push-button horse like the lesson horses I worked with as a teenager!
  • A small step forward is a great thing.  Glad it worked out and hope you feel less tense next time.  Good job.
  • Good for you!  It takes a couple times before you start forgetting and relaxing again but you've taken the first step ':)'  Could you lunge him a little before you get on so he won't have so much energy?  Shorter stirrups would certainly help you feel more stable.