Quick Post

got bucked off for the first time :(

got bucked off for the first time :(
  • Hey there, as the title says, I been bucked. I know the problem, bit was hooked up wrong. My neighbor took his back, so I bought another one and just hooked it to the wrong loop. Dusty did fine for about 15-20 minutes at a walk, or so I thought. Now I realize he wasn't comfortable. He kept pulling on the reins and lowering his head, messing with the bit. Then I asked him to trot and he bucked probably 3 times, I landed and he took off.

He was at the trainer's barn all of December, but I haven't ridden him much since. Maybe a dozen times. I guess my question is now that he knows he can do it, will he keep doing it? The trainer that trained him the first time (30 days) when he was 3 said he'd never bucked or tried to. The trainer in December thought he was an angel, just a little rusty. He's 6 now.

Obviously, I'm not going to ride him again until my back stops hurting. Think he's going to act up when I tack him up again and mount? Since the last time was so verrrryyy scary. Guess I just need a little encouragement. I have a newfound respect for rodeo riders.  :D
  • Ahhh, sorry to hear you had flying lessons and your back hurts ':('  In my experience, he won't put 2 and 2 together.  As long as you fix the bit situation, he should go back to being his normal angelic self ':)'  My 3 yr. old bucked and I did a somersault, he was just feeling good as a youngster but he didn't develop a habit of trying to get rid of me.  He's 6 now and a really good boy.

Hang in there, it takes a little while to get over your fear but getting back up there ASAP will help, just takes time to lose the uncertainty.
  • Consider lunging him with the bit in, no reins, and see how he does at the different gates.

You do not want to wait long before riding him and do not want him to learn that by bucking he can get out of work.

We have a 3 year old that does little wimpy bucks whenever he starts doing something new. Started teaching him barrels and every time he went around 2nd barrel he would do a little buck. And every time I would make him do tight circles. It didn't take long for him to learn he shouldn't be doing the little bucks. Now we are working on cantering, he does fine in an open field situation but does the little bucks in the arena, again, I do the circles. Once he canters nicely then we finish. Otherwise, we just  keep going back.

If he gets into bucking if you can whip that head around he will stop. Hopefully though, the bit was the issue and it is all history!

The more he is ridden and worked with the better he will be. A horse is always doing one of two things, learning or unlearning.
  • congratulations! no im totally just kidding my uncle used to say that when we would fall off, 'add another to your count' anyway it sounds like he was trying to get your attention to say hey! this isnt right! you need to fix this! my advice would be saddle up and get right back on like it never happened, that is easier said than done however trust me been there done that, my mistake was making a huge deal out of it so every time i got on my horse would buck so i wouldnt get back on or make him do something else, he clued in that i was scared and that was my weak point,
    i personally dont think he will make a big deal out of it if you dont so just hop back on (when you feel better, make sure nothing is fractured or badly brusied) and do what you normally do
    good luck!!
  • It does, indeed, sound as though it was a problem with the bit.  Do you have someone you trust who has a good seat, soft hands, and horse sense?  If so, see if they will get on and ride him.  Once you see he doesn't do that with them, it should help you get your confidence back.  No fun having a horse that intimidates you.
  • awh i remember my first time...ouch! but best thing u can do is get back up asap nd just go for a wee walk nd chill out together...then move on! doubt he'll make a habit of it, he just wanted to let u know something wasnt right! Be brave, ull be glad in d end
  • Anyone who tells you they've never been bucked off isn't a real rider.  So welcome to the club.  You got there.  Congrats and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Thanks for the replies!

I spent yesterday in bed with ibuprofen, and decided after going to work for an hour that it wasn't feeling much better. After a few xrays, they told me nothing is broken. Good news! Some painkillers and time will help. If it still hurts badly in a few days, I'll need an MRI. Might have a messed up disc.

Getting into and out of my car is torture, hubby's truck is much easier. Definitely not ready to ride, but I'm hoping I can squash the nerves next time and have no troubles. I might make my neighbor (who we bought him from) jump up there before I do. I really think he just reacted and didn't realize what he did, hoping he forgot that he bucked! LOL
  • Glad you weren't hurt worse.  Definitely let someone else put some rides on him while you recuperate!  I don't think he's going to give you any trouble but this'll teach you to double check yer tack! [':)']

Actually.... I can't remember ever being bucked off.  I can remember falling off about a thousand times.... I can remember riding out some pretty nice bucks!  I've been lucky that my horses didn't buck too bad.  Now taking the jump while the horse stood there watching me fly.... THAT i've done!  

• haha i hate to laugh but iv seen that happen (not u obviously) but its quite funny lookin back on it! Nt so funny for the rider sorry lol horse! u gotta love em
  • First off CONGRATS, I have always been told if you have never been bucked off you havent ridden enough.

I wouldn't worry about him thinking its ok to buck. He may test you again but make sure you always get back on him after being bucked off. I know it hurts and is hard to do but dont let them get away with it. I have got back on without being able to move you arm. All you need to do is just let him know if he bucks you off it dont work to quit riding.
  • I think this is the first time I've been back on since I posted on this thread and thought of a LOT of things to say.
    1. You speak of hubby so you're probably not a teenager anymore.  This is for all of us...  try to keep your body in good enough shape that your muscles can react without being wrenched/hurt, etc.
    2. Realize what you need to do when a horse begins to buck.  First off, DO NOT let the horse get his head down!!!!!!   What I do is pull his head up and plant my hands and reins onto his neck or, I guess with a western saddle you'd grab the horn with the reins tight.  You just want the head up and the horse still so you can hop off.
    3. Practice the "hop off" concept.  With your horse standing, hop off from both sides.  Get him used to you slliding off at odd angles.  Then, if you feel up to it, have someone lead your horse at a slow walk and practice dismounting.  This is your preliminary flying-dismount.  Lots of lessons move you towards dismounting at a trot and then canter.  If you can practice dismounting at any speed, you'll feel more confident if you start to slip or find yourself flying through the air.  
    4. Try to relax if you're falling.  Stiffening up is what breaks bones.  There's definitely a right way to fall.
    You'll have to update us.  Hope you're healing well!! 

• Thanks everyone, I think I'll be ok. Well, the mental thing anyway! My back still really hurts, so I have an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow, hopefully he'll fix me. I'm just really lucky I didn't break my neck. On the bright side, I have a horse-shaped bruise on my inner thigh! It's pretty neat. I think his hoof got me on the way down.
  • I came off once and the horse got me in the sternum area on the way down.  I figure it probably hurts less when you're airborne than firmly anchored on the ground.  

Hope your back heals quickly!
  • I will be waiting to hear how your return to riding goes.  Back in May, I was bucked off of a horse that never bucked, and broke a few ribs.  We had been riding for approx. 5 hrs., Lady was perfect all day, passing deer and hikers, etc..  Then while we were hot, tired & ready to get back to camp some more hikers came around a bend & she suddenly leaped straight up and bucked.  Since I was not paying attention, off I went & crack went my ribs.  Still 45 min from camp, once I got some air back, I climbed back on & rode and got back to camp.  Again, she was perfect!!  Finally the ribs are good enough to travel up to MN with the horses for the summer to ride (I had not messed with the horses for 3 mths).  During our first overnight stop, Lady, who usually backs out of the trailer really slow, unexpectedly came out really fast.  I lost my balance and fell back onto my left hand and broke my wrist.  So we had to return home because the ER said that I would need a metal plate put in mt wrist which I now have.  So here I am once again waiting for bones to heal.  I have not had a horse accident in 30+ yrs., I have been riding Lady since she was 2 1/2 and is now 7 yrs., I am wondering about myself & am thinking what will happen next, so I've really lost confidence and I am a little scared.  We are supposed to try and head up to MN again next week (my cast should come off a few days prior) but I don't know.  We pull 4 horses up there with us.  Any thoughts?