Quick Post

starting training..

starting training..
  • My horse is a 20 yr old 16.0 hand quarter horse. I got him horribly neglected..so took the time getting him healthy. Had him two years. I got him to respect me ..(he did go through a biting stage when we walked away from the barn) and now hes like a puppy dog. I would like to start lounging him daily..but not sure how I should start him off. He has not had any strenous work for two years..and hes flabby :) so want to turn that into muscle..and get him to respect me at ALL TIMES. SO just want to know how long I should start lounging him at..he is really good at lounging so he doesnt need alot of work..just refreshment maybe. Also want to start riding him..the nice weather has made it so hard not to be able to ride!!
  • Just my opinion but I think you will be able to tell when he has had enough. He will be breathing hard and maybe sweating. So go for it, 2 years of not being exercised is too long.
    My mare was 11 when I got her and she had not been rode much but I was on her and trail riding a couple of miles a day and she still wasn't tired. It all depends on the horse.
  • Sounds like good advice!  Keep us updated on his progress!  Pictures would be great, too!  Before and after.  I bet he's looking forward to having work to do!
  • THanks. I will post pics. Should take some now hes shedding so bad!
  • I'm getting on my 16 y.o. Arab girl today. I don't even know the last time she was ridden regularly...I've had her through two winters and have ridden her two times.

She has a core of fitness, she's been ridden a lot in her past, but she has more heart than stamina I imagine at this point.

I'm going to TRY to get on bareback. It should be interesting. I haven't ridden bareback in years, and I'm a LOT heavier than I was then. In fact, I'm a lot heavier than I have ever been, so it's really weird for me to have to worry about things like falling off (never used to worry about it!) and getting on in the first place!

Anyway, I found a cool little site that has some interesting little exercises for legging a horse up.

www.gaitedhorses.net/Artlicles/Walk/ExerciseatTheWalk.shtml
  • And did I mention..she isn't exactly a dead head. Head up, ears pricked, never just kicking back! Woo hoo!
  • Well I started on friday with lunging him in roundpen. He did OK for first time, but needs ALOT of training. Have a feeling I am going to have to start his training at the basics. He had a problem turning the one way while lunging, and has BAD case of seperation anxiety from my moms horse, and he was trotting along and tried to go through the roundpen fence becasue he saw her, ended up with a small cut so we were lucky. Is him not turning in the roundpen a lack of respect? It seemed to me like he didnt really understand, but one of the guys down there (thinks his horses are like cars) said its disrespect and has a more aggressive approach. So need suggestions from you guys a gentle way to teach him that I want him to turn...I know hes been neglected and abused by past owners, dont want to baby him anymore,and want him to be at his full potential
  • He should turn for you.  If it was his first time, he probably doesn't get it yet.  The controversy arises when people talk about the direction the horse turns.  Does he turn away (butt to you) or towards you.  Some will tell you turning his butt toward you is disrespectful and should not be tolerated. 
    The trainer I sent my horse to told me that in the grand scheme of things it may not really be THAT big of a deal.  As in, if you're working your horse for months and months in the round pen trying to get him to turn toward you and not doing any thing beyond that... then you may never get up in the saddle and ride and you are wasting time you could be using to train other things.  The message I got was if the horse is listening to you and otherwise behaving for you, then the direction in which he turns is a moot point.
  • With abuse in his past you may have to baby him more than other horses but in a firm way. You want him to trust you not to hurt him.  I wouldn't let a cowboy rough him up.  I'd just be happy if he went in a circle, but not too many times around.  Get him to stop and "join up".  If you always point when you send him out, he'll catch on which way.  Then you point the other way, step a bit into his path and assume the body position of a cougar, HE'll turn and go the other way! [':D']
  • Horses are either right or left-handed the same as people.  It is normal for a horse to favor one side or the other when lounging.  The key is to find the side your horse performs worse on and work him a little more on that side than the other.  That way both sides develop equally.  Since your horse is not currently fit, a lot of jogging/trotting will be best for him.  Good luck getting him back in shape.
  • Thanks! I didnt think he was being disrespectful, he looked slightly confused, and when the guy came in, he looked SO confused and afraid. I feel bad for not trusting my instincts and not stopping him. I think I will work him when its just me and him, and know he wont be able to see my moms horse! Thats another thing: how do I get him to stop being so buddy sour??!!!
  • If there is a place to separate your mom's horse from yours at the beginning it would be better so that your horse can focus his attention on you.  Once your horse starts learning to pay attention to you, even with your mom's horse out, his attention should return to you.
    There will be a few days of separation anxiety when you first remove your mom's horse where it will be difficult to gain your horse's attention.  After a few days this will go away and he will seem better, then when your mom's horse is back in the picture, he will most likely once again become distracted, but after a few days of understanding that he still needs to work, his attention will once again return to you.
    Be patient.  With horses it often three steps forward and one back. 
  • That's not disrespect, it's fear!  You took him away from his security, his herd!  That's not a problem with you though, so don't take it personally.  That's the way horses are wired for safety.  Separate them slowly, by keeping him busy and moving closer then farther away.  Aggression with a scared horse will only make the problem worse, because, to him, not only is he already feeling unsafe, but there's a predator trying to kill him as well!  Check out the parelli website.  I've used it for years and solved these problems with both of my horses ':)'

• Thank you so much ':)'
  • No problem ':)' I'm glad I could help