Quick Post

New horse with a lot of issues..."Sigh"

New horse with a lot of issues..."Sigh"
  • Hi.  I'm new to this horse forum, but I've been breaking and training TBs and other horses for over 30 years.
    A lot of TBs come off the track thinking that a tight hold on the reins means GO!  So...unless someone has worked him to understand otherwise, it possible that you may be nervous and tightening up on the reins and mistakenly giving your horse a confused signal.
    Also, despite what many people think, TBs are typically very light in the mouth.  Again, if you feel comfortable enough to loosen up on the reins, does his head shaking and "tantrums" stop?
    If they do...Great.  Then on a semi-loose rein, get him going forward and then subtly start bringing his head down and around by shortening your rein length and getting better contact with his mouth.
    Just something to consider.
  • Oooh Impdreams, where ya been?? 
    I love the New Vocations site for working with OTTB & Stb's.  The bitting sessions are great advice, worked well with my Stb. 
  • [quote=Impdreams]

Hi.  I'm new to this horse forum, but I've been breaking and training TBs and other horses for over 30 years.
    A lot of TBs come off the track thinking that a tight hold on the reins means GO!  So...unless someone has worked him to understand otherwise, it possible that you may be nervous and tightening up on the reins and mistakenly giving your horse a confused signal.
    Also, despite what many people think, TBs are typically very light in the mouth.  Again, if you feel comfortable enough to loosen up on the reins, does his head shaking and "tantrums" stop?
    If they do...Great.  Then on a semi-loose rein, get him going forward and then subtly start bringing his head down and around by shortening your rein length and getting better contact with his mouth.
    Just something to consider.

That is absolutely true. I had an ex race horse and as soon as I tighted on the reins, he took the bit and was ready to go.

Something I've learned with all horses, though, is you have more control on a loose rein, universally. That doesn't mean you just let go and allow them to do whatever they want, but if you remember to keep your reins fairly loose, they will respond better to cues when you do give them, and you have more control than you do if you hold them in all the time.
  • Having said that, it can be very difficult to ride in a relaxed manner with a horse that you're intimidated by. It takes a concerted effort. You have to make yourself sit in a relaxed manner and constantly monitor what you're doing with the reins.
  • Too true, AllieBaba.