Quick Post

Trailering...

Trailering...
  • I hope this is the place for it, what do you guys think of hauling a stud colt and mare in a 2 horse straight load trailer? The divider is solid so they wouldn't be able to see each other... The stud colt is coming 2, and my mare is coming 4... Thanks in advance!
  • Wow.  Well I don't think I would haul anything in a 2 horse trailer.  If either one of them wiggled you'd be toast.  Don't use the side door.  Completely unload one of them, the stud probably and get him secured away in a stall or round pen, then unload the mare.

How well trained are they.  Do they both load well.  Are they well mannered.  These are all things I'd take into consideration.  If a 2 horse was all I had I'd take out the divider and haul each one separately, but that is just me.
  • Depends on how they behave in general.

Hauling a 2 yr old (no matter the sex) I would want to haul with a horse that is trailer seasoned and behaves well.  Bad habits can be learned to easily.

If the mare is not in heat and there is NO way for them to get to each other it could be ok. 

You know your horses best.
  • My mare has been hauling in this trailer with the divider since she was a year and a 1/2, she loads fine, never has a problem. The stud I may be buying next weekend, and he is suppose to be working on loading with his current owner. The divider in the trailer is completely solid at the head sides, and if I purchase him, I want to take him to races with my mare, so he can get exposure to the noise and what not, and also work both at my local public arena. (I'm always there when no one else is riding, so no worries on sharing the arena while working the stud colt.) But I was thinking I would load the stud first, so the mares butt isnt there, and then load my mare, and then unload her first and then unload him, theyd be tied on opposite sides of the trailer or seperate tie posts. I know there have been people who haul their studs to competitons with mares, and I was just wondering if they have any tips, insight.

??? And you wouldn't haul anything in a two horse trailer?! It's a two horse trailer, it can haul two horses fine... ???
  • [quote=linaew]
     ??? And you wouldn't haul anything in a two horse trailer?! It's a two horse trailer, it can haul two horses fine... ???

THANK YOU!  

Gender dynamics aside, horses hauled together bond quicker/better. 
  • I think you'll be fine but just be careful over the attitudes.  An old forum friend from NM had a young gelding who just feared for his life when I trailered him with my mare.  I think there was something that my mare hated about him and just wouldn't let him be.  It was the only time they traveled together.
  • [quote=Summer]

Wow.  Well I don't think I would haul anything in a 2 horse trailer.  If either one of them wiggled you'd be toast.  Don't use the side door.  Completely unload one of them, the stud probably and get him secured away in a stall or round pen, then unload the mare.

If a 2 horse was all I had I'd take out the divider and haul each one separately, but that is just me.

Summer,
      I'm not sure what you mean by this but there's nothing wrong with using a 2 horse.  Heck, my 2 horse straightload gooseneck is all I have and can use right now and it does just fine for me.  Would you please explain your reasoning a little so I know where you're coming from?
  • Yeah I would like to as well, Ive hauled numerous horses in my trailer with the divider and they have been fine, as far as side doors go, are you talking about the escape doors? It's only big enough for me to get out, plus my horses are taught to just hop in the trailer themselves, all I do is point them in the right direction and they just climb in.

My trailer is almost identical to the one below

• Your trailer looks fine and it sounds like you have a logical plan.

SOME PEOPLE don't realize that everyone can not afford to own deluxe trailers.

I prefer slant loads and that is what I own, it is MY preference.  BUT I would NOT condem someone for using a straight load.
  • I don't own a "DELUXE" trailer, I use a livestock trailer.  Each horse has their own stall...

Question, do you tie the horse to something?  If so, how do you untie the horse in an emergency?  I tie my horses but only because the mare gets upset if I haul her loose.  The trailer is wide enough that I could get to the horses in the event of an accident. 

Its no so much the 2 horse trailer, I know folks use them still, but if I can't access the horse and he is squeezed in there tight...  the whole set up just makes me totally nervous.  Add in a stallion and well...  I don't like to live dangerously I guess.

Is the trailer a newer model or an older one?  I have seen some nicer, roomier 2 horse trailers. 
  • Edited to add that I cannot view the trailer photo.  It is not an attachment and those are the only photos that I can see on my computer.
  • That isn't my exact trailer, but that is the model, it was given to me for free and that's all I can afford right now. It fits two thick bulldog like foundation quarter horses fine, and its extra tall, I can't even touch the roof on my tippy toes, (I'm 5' 2") both sides have trailer ties coming from the front with their feeder area. Wrapped butt chains in the back, and an escape door on both sides, the tack area is under the feeders. The back door consists of three doors, the ramp is the bottom half, then a middle section, and then the top is removable for summer. The divider is solid so they can't see eachother's heads while traveling, and the divider runs along their sides, and both sides have the normal padding throughout the trailer. TRUST ME, if I could get a three horse slant load with drop down windows, that would be awesome, but here in northern california, people are trying to sell their two horse trailers for 2k, and they look like crap (rusty, unmatted floors, disgustingly filthy), so the trailers I would be happy with are about 10k, and I don't see that falling into my lap anytime soon. I would perfer a slant load I think all horses travel better that way. If ther was an accident I'm not sure what I would do but thats why I drive safe and slow and let the idiots pass me, and consitently pull over for them.

And the reason why I ask is because I'd like to take the stud colt places, I was thinking that as long as he got in first and out last then it would be better than having him see her etc.

I attached pictures of similar trailers... NOTE: this isn't my trailer, but they are similar...
  • Here is my trailer, well some of it, it's the best I can show, but this picture really gets you to see the back...
  • [quote=linaew]

are you talking about the escape doors? It's only big enough for me to get out,

Not every horse knows this.  First hand experience speaking here: I leased a horse who did not trailer well.  Loaded him in the trailer one day, he got in fine, I tied him, he was fine.  We were getting ready to go and all of a sudden he panics.  It was bad he put a huge crack in the fiberglass ceiling of the trailer.  I run to the escape door to get him untied as I open it he lunges forward through the escape door.  He gets one leg and his neck, up to his withers, out the door.  Now I have a freaked out horse stuck in the escape door.  We let him settle down a bit then coax him back through the way he came.  It took a while and he had a gnarly gash under his elbow and some cuts on his head.  It could have been way worse. 

Not saying that this will happen or that it's even likely... just sharing my experiences.  We hauled 2 minimally handled Spanish Mustangs about 8 hours in a 2 horse straight load and nothing happened.
  • What Samsara said, I never use escape doors while a horse is in the vehicle.

Picked up a livestock trailer used for $1600.  I have seen many older model Gooseneck trailers at farm auctions with good floors.

Just take your time loading and try to be organized.