Quick Post

My new horse bites people.

My new horse bites people.
  • I'm sure this topic has been covered many times but I can't find a recent thread.
    Please direct me if you can.

My new mare pins her ears back when being fed especially if you stand close to the fence where her bucket is hung.  I thought it was food related until yesterday when she tried to take a bite out of my shoulder as I turned to pick up the saddle.  Luckily she was tied up close and couldn't reach me.  She tried to bite my husband on Friday - he was able to duck out of the way then grabbed a piece of wood and waved it in the air with lots of yelling, etc.

A friend has suggested a shock collar so the horse will think her behavior caused the shock, not us.  Any thoughts?  (We have started the Clinton Anderson Gaining Respect program, but obviously we don't have her respect yet.)  We've only had her for 1 week.

S.

• I don't know your skill level but personally, I would not be turning my back on that mare for now. I like Clinton's Gaining Respect videos. For now I think you shouldn't be messing with a saddle (trying to ride?) or things like that where your attention might be divided - for your safety. Working on her respect is paramount. I bought a mare a long time ago that was seriously underweight. One day when she was eating, I walked up on her. She rounded on me with her mouth wide open. I honestly didn't even think, it was just an instinctive reaction, just made a fist and caught her (hard) on the soft part of her nose as her head came around. She was seriously surprised! I'm not sure you should tie her for now because you cannot reprimand her the way you need to if she's tied. If she tries to bite you, she should seriously think she's going to die for about 5 seconds. I would still halter her and hold the lead rope so that she is "loose" but close enough that you can keep her from being able to turn her hindquarters to you for a kick. When she tries to bite (or even threatens it) yell, wave your arms (making her move away), whack her with a bat or crop or whip. Do whatever it takes to give her a forceful message that that behavior is not acceptable. After your 'blow up' at her for 3 to 5 seconds, stop - act like nothing happened - the reprimanding is over until and unless she threatens to bite again. Regarding her behavior when you feed her, that is also unacceptable. I make my horse "back up" before I toss his hay in (he eats in his stall). I also make him back up and wait for my "OK" by word and body language while I put his grain in his bucket before he can come up to eat. You might not want to really work on the grain bucket thing until she's respecting you more, especially if you are in near her.
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply.  You're a good moderator, they must pay you well....  ';-)'

We've lived with horses for the past 5 years, but haven't gotten out the Clinton CD's for the last 2 years.  Thought I had it all memorized until I got in the paddock with this new mare who kept getting into my space and running past me while I unwound the knots I'd made in my rope.  It was pathetic.

So, I reviewed the early CD's on Sunday and yesterday with much less fuss, she backed for 2 steps on the lead line.  Let me tell you, THAT was a breakthrough !!  I believe in backing and she definitely does not agree.

S.
  • To back up is to submit. That ain't her thing. [':D'] Have you seen horses play the biting game? They face off, one thrusts that head forward and nips, the other follows suit. The biting goes back and forth until one of them backs up/loses. I like to combine the biting and (her) backing up into one action by using my hand as a claw (make a big "C" with your whole hand). Let her make so much as a motion that she's going to bite and you take that claw and bite into her chest/shoulder area as hard as you can really fast and make noise (like hey! or nah! or, if you're sophisticated, perhaps no!) [':D'] You have to puff up and get right into her space and keep "biting" her until she backs up.  I agree with Durango about not turning your back (good practice with any horse) and keeping a bat/crop with you just in case cuz if she doesn't back up when you "bite" her then you can whack her chest until she does. The thing is to put instant pressure on her and force her back immediately. After she does that just go about your business as if nothing happened. That's the hard part. Mares can be nasty, huh?

I'm sure the CA instructions are great! Best wishes for that cranky girl!!
  • I am having a similar problem but on a lesser scale. My horse that I have had for 5 years just started nipping at me when I'm trotting him out and occasionally when I'm tacking him up. He never bites hard, just tiny nips. It's like he's doing it to be funny and whenever he does it I can't help but laugh. Do you think this could become a bigger problem or do you have any idea why he would start doing this?
  • We had a 2 yr. old filly (16 hds) given to us who hadn't really ever been disciplined, hadn't learned to respect people and thought of us as playmates or pasture buddies.  Initially, we would always carry a stick and not hesitate to let her have it if she came too close, acted aggressive or anything like that.  My neighbor was feeding for me while we were out of the country and she still bears a significant scar on her arm from the filly biting her when she was dumping her pellets into the manger ':('  A wonderful natural horsemanship trainer did "wonders" with her but had to earn her respect first.

My gelding bit me once when he was about 2 and I did the "make them think they are going to die" thing for about 5 seconds, yelling, pounding on his neck and chasing him away.  He was very startled and has never tried to bite me again but is not afraid of me either ':)'

Be very careful with this mare.
  • @ janad454 - YES that's a problem. Every moment you are with your horse you are training him or her. Allowing the nips and laughing at them (though you horse doesn't understand laughter) is teaching him that you are a playmate and he is (or is becoming) the dominant one. Respect has to be taught, and it has to be retained. No, I'm not saying that people cannot have a good and 'loving' relationship with their horse, nor am I advocating abusing them. You do have to realize, though, that they do not think or reason the way we do. My horse respects my space, and I will share it with him on my terms. I'll hug him, lean on him, pet him, brush him, but he doesn't crowd me. And he moves out of my way when I'm coming through. AND he backs up on command when I'm feeding him. I don't have to yell or threaten him because we've worked on the commands so that I can say, "Back up" (rising inflection on the up). If I don't think he went far enough, I'll repeat it. And he stands there looking at me until I motion toward his bucket and say "OK". OH! OH! Where is that video of Rod's horses standing until he releases them to eat after they're unharnessed?
  • Go to General Chat > videos > Out on the bobsled and then take a look at the second link Rod put up (part of the link name is 'unharnessing'.